Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for a dry-fire reaction drill .....

Stefano

Again about reaction-time and all the drills we can do to improve it ...

I've just read on the USPSA website (homepage/additional content/other info/grand master tips) Matt Burkett's drill about reaction time.

This drill is great, and I know it well, but it is doable only at the range, in live-fire.

Does anybody have any ideas on "how-to-do" a good reaction-time drill at home, in dry-fire (and withou a gun in your hands) ?

An "old" idea is that one of the tennis-ball, but you must have anybody (the wife ?? :ph34r: ) who's helping you, dropping the tennis-ball from his/her hands when you try to catch it before it touch down.

It would be great to find something that we can do by ourselves, with the help of the timer (I think it's important to listen the sound of the buzzer, jus to feel a more realistic situation ...).

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Stefano

Slap your timer. Seriously! Set it on random start, and on the start signal, see how fast you can slap, tap, flick your timer.

Right but ... it will never be as quick as triggering something .....

Anyway thanks ! It seems a good solution ... :):):)

Slap your timer. Seriously! Set it on random start, and on the start signal, see how fast you can slap, tap, flick your timer.

The nominal times may be slowerer, but you'd still be able to determine a par, and therefore improvement.

The nominal times may be slowerer, but you'd still be able to determine a par, and therefore improvement.

OK, RIGHT ! !

Let's slapping ... :D:D:D

Fortunately I have TWO timers: just in case of "over-slapping" ... :rolleyes:

Thanks to you both guys !

If you want to work your reaction time to the buzzer, then putting your timer on your belt in the same place your holster would normally be is a good way to go. Get in your start postion, then on the beep slap your timer like you were going for your gun.

If you want to play catch the fuzzy ball with your wife...well, there might be something too that, too. ;)

Attach the timer to a car battery. Attach the car battery to your privates. Attach an "Off" switch to the place where your holster is.

I have never found any great value in drills based solely on reaction time. I found that the minor improvements (max .05 seconds on the draw) that come with practicing it, will vanish quickly when you quit practicing.

Also, a lot of reaction drills are based on single actions. It is like practicing just the draw with no follow up shots. It is not a very realistic representation of a "match skill".

But of course, if you want to be able to impress with a .55 draw, knock yourself out ;)

:cheers:

sometimes you folks on this forum are way way too funny!!!!!I was drinking my coffee this morning when I read that last post from Spook and it made me laugh so hard I spilled the coffee down the front of my shirt. Oh boy...., hey that could be a good reaction drill.

Eheheheh ... sorry guys, but my bad english sometimes sounds a little bit funny .... :)

Being here I hope to achieve progresses not only in shooting but also in writing in another language ... :rolleyes:

The reason why I've started this topic is because I've noticed quite a difference in my draw-times between dry-fire & live fire.

I know that this is normal, but I suppose that (in my case) this difference is achieved by my (low) reaction times ...

In dry fire I can perform a draw in 1,00 sec. and - if I push myself - even in 0,90/0,80

In live fire my usual time is 1,15/1,20, but even if I push myself I can't go under 1,00 (and the most probably is 1,05 ...).

I've also noticed that when I'm shooting a match my draw-time is probably higher, due to the fact that I don't want drop points (I shoot in PD ...).

So, I am beginning to think that my "problem" is not with the draw itself, but - probably - with my reaction-time at the buzzer ....

But after reading all yours posts .... now I am thinking that the best solution is .... working again with draw-practice in LIVE fire ! :D:D:D

I'm wrong ?

Edited by Stefano

.... now I am thinking that the best solution is .... working again with draw-practice in LIVE fire ! :D:D:D

I'm wrong ?

No you are right. Dry fire is a great technique to help improve but you must livefire to get everything you need and frankly the match is where it counts.

.75 draw in dryfire- I say who cares

.75 draw in practice- I say who cares

.75 in a match- I care, you really should too. Most any draw below 1.0 is a match smoking time

Most people's dry is faster than live cause there isn't any target(the real measurement) or outside stress. Work to get your livefire times closer to your dryfire ones.

Draw on the B eeeeep and thats probably all you need to do.

To measure your reaction use a loaded gun with finger on trigger, activate delayed timer, and shoot. Work on getting it below .20 if you want to be anal

Edited by BSeevers

Ahhh...

My guess would be that, in dry-fire, you aren't getting it done with your weak hand. Focus on getting a good grip with that weak hand...moving it along with the strong hand.

Also, you have to be honest on the sights in dry-fire. It's easy to cheat of few tenths of a second from yourself by not being honest on the vision.

Yes This will work with (most) timers Dry fire drill for Reaction. place the gun in dry fire mode up to the timer set on random delay. get your hand and everything ready with the muz pushed up to the timer. at signal pull the trigger.

It works with my pack and my CED 8000 I have to turn the 7000 down for it to work. Most of the time you have to put it rite up to the receiver part of the timer.

JF my best is 0.15

One reason my dry fire draws were/are always faster than live fire has something to do with handling a LIVE firearms vs an empty one (filled with dummies actually).

What I like to do is go to the range and do some dry fire with a live gun (on the range in a safe direction etc.).

EDITed to point out that it's not the weight, but the feeling of handling a safe inert firearm vs. one that goes bang.

I'm more comfortable with an inert gun.

Edited by spook

.... now I am thinking that the best solution is .... working again with draw-practice in LIVE fire ! :D:D:D

I'm wrong ?

No you are right. Dry fire is a great technique to help improve but you must livefire to get everything you need and frankly the match is where it counts.

.75 draw in dryfire- I say who cares

.75 draw in practice- I say who cares

.75 in a match- I care, you really should too. Most any draw below 1.0 is a match smoking time

Most people's dry is faster than live cause there isn't any target(the real measurement) or outside stress. Work to get your livefire times closer to your dryfire ones.

Draw on the B eeeeep and thats probably all you need to do.

To measure your reaction use a loaded gun with finger on trigger, activate delayed timer, and shoot. Work on getting it below .20 if you want to be anal

+2 Bill, thats where its at!That is the best way Ive used to measure my reaction time. Your absolutely right, if it doesnt happen in a match, so what, its match performance we care about. Spook made an interesting point too. I use inert rounds to simulate actual magazine/gun weight when doing draws or reloads. Its kinda like working out with 10lb weights and then expecting to perform the same with a 20lb weight. The first time I started dry firing with a loaded (inert rnds) mag, WOW what a difference!

Edited by hf219

• 3 weeks later...

A green gas Airsoft gun will activate your timer (Pocket Pro II) if the Sensitivity is turned all the way up to 25, and the gun is 1 foot or less from it.

That being said, I was doing this very drill in my house a few weeks back as follows:

1. Set sensitivity on Pocket Pro II to 25 (Highest setting)

2. Use Green Gas airsoft gun that has gas in it, but no pellets

3. Place Timer on bookcase at muzzle height

4. Aim muzzle at mic on timer (1 foot away, or less)

5. Hit go, and find out where you stand

Try it, it works good.

Edited by D-Man