Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Do We Have Standards

TNK

<_< You must be "This High" to go on this ride :o

Old school stuff = I think it is good for many reasons. But I don't know much <_<

For one thing You could tell a new shooter in Timbuctooy to go to the website down load the stage, set it up and practice it.

If they could not hit 90% of the points a X time it would be easy to give them pointers on how to practice to improve on that. Five years later the same guy could measures improvement.

Its a very good way for the -Shooter- to know if they can perform on Que - At the beep- Rite NOW and make the score.

I'm kind of Old though so to me its like asking "why have test in grade & Jr high school"

If you don't like them, they may have already served you a favor.

It goes both ways, I don't think it is a good Idea for a big match to have fixed time stages.

As a sporting clay shooter I hated the easy target, = No gap between a well trained shooter and a hack.

<_< Edit to add <_< Hack may be a bit mean if so let me know and I will take it out <_< Hack as in the guy that shows up three times a year, wants to shoot good and has advice on how everyone Else could have made the match better.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Because they test your ability to shoot at distance, under fixed time. There aren't really many opportunities to shoot 50 yards in a field course that would be "practical." Shooting at 50 yds requires a different knowledge of your firearm and how to shoot it. For instance, you have to really watch your trigger prep, sight-in your dot REALLY well, have ammo that actually is capable of shooting groups, etc. etc.

I feel it separates the men from the boys. (and women from the girls...)

Because they test your ability to shoot at distance, under fixed time. There aren't really many opportunities to shoot 50 yards in a field course that would be "practical." Shooting at 50 yds requires a different knowledge of your firearm and how to shoot it. For instance, you have to really watch your trigger prep, sight-in your dot REALLY well, have ammo that actually is capable of shooting groups, etc. etc.

I feel it separates the men from the boys. (and women from the girls...)

nice politically correct statement

I think these standards are a very interesting beast. I don't think that you really need to shoot at a 50 yard target unless your shooting something that moves (deer). I really wish we had more classifiers requiring movement and S/W HO. i believe these are the majority of the practical stages you will see at nats, area, and a well thought out club match.

<_< 50 yards is not that far. And If I really did have to use a hand gun for life or death. My best hope is that I can control the distance and it would be past 50 yards.

even <_< Something as far fetched as four or five rabid dogs when I'm out in an open field with just a bird gun.

? Practical ? or not most anyone would take an early shot, before the threat closes the distance

Edited by AlamoShooter

I like standards because they are the type of test that allow me to excel. That said, we rarely shoot them locally because the majority of our shooters would rather spend their time and ammo shooting something more entertaining. Mini-Mart is a lot more fun than High Standards. I full well realize long courses with a lot of movement is really where it's at in most matches today. However, standards do test fundamental shooting skills, and unless one can call the shots, exercise trigger control, read the relationship of the bore to the target face, etc., he/she won't get far in this game. At the higher levels, it's about points and time...

I don't think that you really need to shoot at a 50 yard target unless your shooting something that moves (deer).

I'll remember to mention that the next time someone shoots at me from more than 50 yards away (twice already). Standards test a set of skills that generally are not tested in field courses. A shooter with minimal accurracy can shoot and do really well at a bunch of close range field courses. Extend that out and it becomes a test of shooting more than pointing and slapping. Standards tests the D part of DVC, accuracy.

As it was said before, anytime you ask for a high degree of accuracy you separate the real shooters from the rest of the crowd. You may also notice that the people that complain about them are the "other" shooters...

Standards are a mandatory part of this game that are not used enough.

As it was said before, anytime you ask for a high degree of accuracy you separate the real shooters from the rest of the crowd. You may also notice that the people that complain about them are the "other" shooters...

Standards are a mandatory part of this game that are not used enough.

+1 to both ;) I love seeing a standards in a match. Its like being handed match points with the negative head games everyone else plays on it....

Fireant - just look in the USPSA Classifier book ;)

I'll remember to mention that the next time someone shoots at me from more than 50 yards away (twice already). Standards tests the D part of DVC, accuracy.

:blink: SO Mr Lawman, ! my bet is, that your glad the Someone's that shot at you did not practice shooting at 50 yards?

Edited by AlamoShooter

I'll remember to mention that the next time someone shoots at me from more than 50 yards away (twice already). Standards tests the D part of DVC, accuracy.

:blink: SO Mr Lawman, ! my bet is, that your glad the Someone's that shot at you did not practice shooting at 50 yards?

Yep, so far the accuracy on the other side has not been stellar. I kind of like it that way.

I figured I wouldn't bring the intention of my statement to meaning that your shooting this to shoot at a human. I kinda wanted to dodge that type of response and go with the safe route of shooting a animal. I am glad it has been benificial to you and your shooting abilities.

If the question of why standards is done needs to be asked, isn't that already the problem? We don't shoot them at the Nationals any longer (seemingly). At the club level, there's no end to the whining and complaining on full target standards and don't get folks started on shooting strong, weak, kneeling or prone.

Frankly, for my compadres on the west coast, be prepared for A LOT of incidents of standards on a stage. Follow that up with an old school stage like Hammer Time. Slow you down and then crank you back up again. :D

Rich

Please explain. What purpose does it serve in the game that is IPSC?

To prove you can actually shoot.

To seperate those that can win a match versus those that should win a match.

To serve as a tremendous mental challenge.

To allow those that can shoot to excel beyond those who can't.

To seperate the competition.

Because there's something inherently cool about shooting 6 shots at 50 yards and getting 6 A's.

Because there is something inherently disturbing about shooting 6 shots at 50 yards and having 2 misses, 1 D, a C, and 2 A's (one in the upper A zone for luck).

Because it feels good when you KNOW you can hit an upper A/B zone shot at 50 yards even though you'd prefer not to have that test.

Because it seperates the men/women from the boys/girls.

The roll standards play in IPSC? IPSC is supposed to be a shooting test. Standards are a hard shooting test. Feels like a good marriage to me. I, like others, don't believe they are used enough.

J