Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice Is Cheating!

rhino

I'm new here, but it's really obvious that a bunch of you engage in illicit practicing activities between matches.

Practice is cheating!

When someone suggests that you practice, just say, "No!" :angry:

When you get the urge to practice, just think about how good it would be to take a nice nap or watch some television.

And never, ever succumb to the worst of all dangers: Peer Pressure-Induced Practice Sessions. Again, say, "No!" :angry:

Don't you all realize that the Eleventh Commandmant is "Thou Shalt Not Practice, Neither Live Nor Dry."

And think of the money you'll save when you don't use all of that ammunition!

:lol:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhino,

Seems there is a lot of that going on at our club right now. The core IPSC shooters are resting up from the Texas State 3-Gun Championship and just are to pooped to "Cheat." We will be changing that in the future, hopefully. :(

Who can say "No" to all those pretty rounds going down range? The smell of burning powder nearly makes me swoon. :wub: My pretty Benny Hill gun all shiney in the sun... :wub::wub::wub: The concussion my comp makes on the guy behind me and my open gun... :P Can't say "No" to practice (nay, cheating).

Liota

I agree with Rhino and do not practice. I do however partake in a little weapons testing from time to time just before a match, like three times a week.

I'm with Bubber and Rhino. I wouldn't do anything as underhanded as practice. Although Liota is definitely correct that sniffing a little powder smoke is pleasant, and those fine firearms can only be truly appreciated outdoors (at the range) practicing might give you an unfair advantage over your favorite opponents (like Liota's husband - we've been trading wins for several years now).

However, it is important to make sure your firearms function properly before going to a match. I think that at least 3 times per week is almost enough. Never mind that timer on my belt. It's also important to make sure the timer is working.

It might even be therapy. I find hammering steel targets with a shotgun great stress relief.

And even if you aren't at the range you should definitely make sure that your sights and trigger are still functional by pointing your gun at a target and pulling the trigger frequently. And you should also test the loading mechanisms by repeatedly inserting magazines.

Cheers,

I'm with Bubber and Rhino. I wouldn't do anything as underhanded as practice.  Although Liota is definitely correct that sniffing a little powder smoke is pleasant, and those fine firearms can only be truly appreciated outdoors (at the range) practicing might give you an unfair advantage over your favorite opponents (like Liota's husband - we've been trading wins for several years now).

However, it is important to make sure your firearms function properly before going to a match. I think that at least 3 times per week is almost enough. Never mind that timer on my belt. It's also important to make sure the timer is working.

It might even be therapy. I find hammering steel targets with a shotgun great stress relief.

And even if you aren't at the range you should definitely make sure that your sights and trigger are still functional by pointing your gun at a target and pulling the trigger frequently. And you should also test the loading mechanisms by repeatedly inserting magazines.

Cheers,

Kelly, we would never use that nasty P-word to describe the enjoyment of firearms. :P It is all purely functional and no one could fault you for being curious as to how fast your gun functions. It is academic knowledge and you ARE a professor. :lol:

Liota

I dunno...., When I took a year off from golf my game improved. I since quit all together and feel capable of teaching/coaching all my friends on their swings now.

Maybe if I stop practicing and going to local matches I can improve enough to break out of "D" class at a Major match.

:lol: If "practicing" is "cheating" then all this 'cheating' isn't getting me anywhere either! :D I just keep changing guns and ammo all the time and call it "range testing." I even caught a couple of my fellow "range testers" sniffing freshly-detonated cartridges [i'm not kidding here] last night during match and indulging in the fragrance of gunpowder (from revolvers, no less). I think someone called it "getting the lead out." Talk about a bunch of cheaters!! Lots of laffs and furtive glances right about then for some reason. I think I'll report them all to the RO! (but he was also sniffing...). Maybe I'll just go get a life, take a break and go handle my guns....... :lol::lol: I might even (gasp!) dry fire! B)

I feel obligated to test my Dillon press that my wife and family bought for me for Christmas. Well, I only own about 3000 rounds of .40 brass so once it is all loaded I must undergo the tedium of unloading it so that I can continue to enjoy the Dillon. So, never let it be said that I "practice". I am simply unloading brass so that I can load it again. :P

Gah! It's another case of SARS! (Strictly Addictive Reloader's Syndrome) Now, that's a REALLY devious way of Cheating!! ...er, Practicing. :P:P:P You'll notice he didn't even say which MODEL of Dillon it was. Shame!!!! :lol::lol:

Well, for the sake of expediency, yes, I do actually shoot it to unload it. I suppose I could use a bullet puller for most of this work but all the loading manuals warn about decapping live primers. So, in the interests of time and safety I am forced to shoot this ammo in order to unload it. :P

Oh...and it is a Dillon SDB. :D

Someday when I grow up I want a 650. :wub:

• 1 month later...

Nor did yerz-trooly practice both days this weekend either with a shooting partner and a timer (gasp!!!!!!... No! Not the timer!!! ) helping Her Sigginess with advancing and receding targets!! No way! (Nor did you see the three of us left alone in the range look around furtively and declare the range cold then pick up all the .45 brass we could find! Never!!!) :ph34r::D:lol: Nor did I allow myself to test-fire someone else's blasters or allow them to test-fire mine! Sheesh! That'd be just TOO much 'practicing'...!

No, I did none of these things. (I don't think...) ;)

Nor am I sitting here reading Duane Thomas' review of the SW1911 in The Blue Press, either!! I don't touch such publications!!!!

Wasn't the term "sandbagger" invented to describe a certain Texas gunsmith? :rolleyes: One that has been heard to say,"I'd love to help y'all pick up that brass but all that bench time on your pistol sure has my back sore". :D

BTW, Do those rounds a smith puts downrange in someone elses pistol count as practice? :P

I coerced BigDave into shooting IDPA with me today. :P

He shot a "skinny gun" in .45ACP and had a good time! B)

Fortunately, since it was a match, it was acceptable "practice." :rolleyes:

Oh, and he totally kicked my A** on every stage too. :angry: