Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun choice

smokjunkee

Ok, the only match-type shooting I have done is Cowboy Action. I am however gaining

an interest in IPSC & IDPA and my local club/range will start to host IDPA matches

in the spring. So I have been reading a lot of the " what gun is best" topics & I see

the M&P, XD & Glock mentioned often. I just purchased a Taurus 24/7 in 40 S&W which

I have not heard talked about. Does anyone have any comments on this particular gun and

I am assuming that I cannot shoot it in production but in limited. I also own a CZ75 pre-B (DA/SA)

in 9mm. Can this be shot in production? Thanks for the help and sorry for the longwindedness.

MB

That isn't a long winded question at all. Welcome to a new world, similar to cowboy but different nonetheless. I'm not familiar with your gun model so I'm not sure where it fits into idpa or uspsa shooting but production & limited are divisions in USPSA, not idpa. IDPA has divisions like ESP(enhanced service pistol) & SSP(stock service pistol). USPSA uses names for their divisions while idpa uses letters. Good luck & I'm sure there is a division for your gun whether you are shooting uspsa or idpa. Try it out, have some fun!

MLM

Looks like the Taurus 24/7(with 5.5" barrel or shorter) is good to go in Production as is the CZ75. The CZ being a great gun for Production Division.

I know a couple of guys around here who shoot the Taurus but don't know how well they hold up. I know a good number of guys who shoot the CZ.

For Production Division I would tend to run th 9mm CZ - partially due to ammo cost and partially because I have shot the CZ75 a lot.

Figure out what is shot in your area, USPSA or IDPA or both. Enjoy the games with the equipment you have. Talk to the local guys, they will be your best resource(except for here, of course...) :-)

Yes, I'm pretty sure that both guns that I mentioned above should

fall in the SSP class in IDPA but, for USPSA, I'm a little confused with

the production division. Can you shoot a larger caliber than 9mm?

MB

Sure you can shoot larger than 9 in Production. As long as the gun is on the list

you should be good to go.

the Taurus 24/7 is not on the approved production list

here is what is on the list..best to check with Amidon.

PT92, PT911, PT99, PT940, PT945, P945 (except "C" models), PT100, PT101, PT111, PT140, PT145, PT921, 827, M66, 817, 24/7 (barrel length up to 5.5"). Any DAO or DA/SA revolver with a barrel length of up to 8.5" is approved.

it might be an issue that is it is marketed as an SA/DA, with a SA first shot..that has second strike capability..

it would be a useable in L10 or Limited.

The CZ is another good choice for production.

PT92, PT911, PT99, PT940, PT945, P945 (except "C" models), PT100, PT101, PT111, PT140, PT145, PT921, 827, M66, 817, 24/7 (barrel length up to 5.5"). Any DAO or DA/SA revolver with a barrel length of up to 8.5" is approved.

it might be an issue that is it is marketed as an SA/DA, with a SA first shot..that has second strike capability..

24/7 is on the list, I believe it is a striker fired gun. I think the list is going away for 2008, gun must just fit box and be DA/SA or safety-action.

you sure?

Alan

Homie types faster than me :cheers:

Edited by Alan Meek

24/7 is on the list, I believe it is a striker fired gun. I think the list is going away for 2008, gun must just fit box and be DA/SA or safety-action.

thanks..guess I should be wearing my glasses... :surprise:

don't need them when I drive though.. :lol:

thanks..guess I should be wearing my glasses... :surprise:

don't need them when I drive though.. :lol:

As long as you don't drive like you need glasses :goof:

smokjunkiee

USPSA, the national (US) IPSC organization has a web site www.ipsc.org There you can find a list of the guns that are accepted in Production. As I have a CZ 75 SP-01C, I've looked and CZ 75 SP-01 is listed although no letters in back to designate sub-models are listed. I'm shooting Standard to take advantage of the 18 round clip. IDPA would be ESP. You can find the specs for handguns in their new 2008 rule book, It's available at www.IDPA.com as a PDF file.

SouthCentral

For 2008 we have the:

APPROVED LIST

Ahandgun may be approved and added to the USPSA Approved Production

Handgun List after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that

a minimum of 2000 complete handguns have been manufactured and available

to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the

handgun for compliance.

AND THE BOX

7 Maximum size

Handgun and all magazines

(revolvers are exempt)

Yes, handgun with empty magazine inserted

must fit wholly within a box with internal

dimensions of 8 15/16” x 6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance

+1/16”, -0”) (8.938”x6”x1.625”)

(227.01mmx152.40mmx41.28mm)

Absolutely no idea why we have BOTH, but I'm sure it makes perfect sense to someone.

Most production players use 9mm because of the light recoil and cheap ammo/availability of 9mm brass.

Using a .40 in production is kind of a waste; you're always scored minor anyway and the ammo is more expensive.

If you want to play in production, a G17, G34, M&P or XD (in 9mm of course) are great choices. I had a G19 that I used for production when I started, but sold it to get a G34. The longer sight radius helps!

Most production players use 9mm because of the light recoil and cheap ammo/availability of 9mm brass.

Using a .40 in production is kind of a waste; you're always scored minor anyway and the ammo is more expensive.

That's true.

But, since Smokejunkie is already a SASS/cowboy shooter, I bet he also reloads his own ammo, since those guys shoot a lot & get all their brass back.

A minor .40 load with a slow moving 180 grn bullet makes a dandy Production division or IDPA load; I know some of the cowboys load light with Titegroup or Clays and maybe he has some on hand? (for just Minor, either of those powders would be safe).

Only caution with the .40 minor plan is make sure the Taurus 24/7 works perfectly with the lighter load you choose. You might just have to fiddle with a lighter recoil spring to get it to work.

smokjunkiee

USPSA, the national (US) IPSC organization has a web site www.ipsc.org There you can find a list of the guns that are accepted in Production. As I have a CZ 75 SP-01C, I've looked and CZ 75 SP-01 is listed although no letters in back to designate sub-models are listed. I'm shooting Standard to take advantage of the 18 round clip. IDPA would be ESP. You can find the specs for handguns in their new 2008 rule book, It's available at www.IDPA.com as a PDF file.

SouthCentral

Shooting Standard?

Other than the qualifier matches for the world shoot,all 3 of them, here in the US I don't recall any recent matches that was shot under IPSC rules. Not that it couldn't have happened but I must have missed that one.

Might you be referring to Limited Division since you shoot in the US?

Edited by Viggen

The cz is a good choice for SSP and a very good choice for ESP (you can shoot it as a single action or even get single action only trigger in it). I've seen a few 24/7. Not my cup of tea but they seem to work fine.

oops..was thinking of the 24/7 Pro..which is not approved.

For 2008 we have the:

APPROVED LIST

Ahandgun may be approved and added to the USPSA Approved Production

Handgun List after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that

a minimum of 2000 complete handguns have been manufactured and available

to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the

handgun for compliance.

AND THE BOX

7 Maximum size

Handgun and all magazines

(revolvers are exempt)

Yes, handgun with empty magazine inserted

must fit wholly within a box with internal

dimensions of 8 15/16” x 6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance

+1/16”, -0”) (8.938”x6”x1.625”)

(227.01mmx152.40mmx41.28mm)

Absolutely no idea why we have BOTH, but I'm sure it makes perfect sense to someone.

We've got the list for all the old reasons. Somewhere I heard that the box concept was reintroduced not for matches, but to give manufacturers a standardized indication of acceptable limits in a production gun.....