Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gugas RIbas

Putty

Anyone try the Gugas Ribas Mag pouches? Weigh in, I want to try something different.

Also some more thoughts on the holster other than what has been archived on Benos. Sold all my CR speed stuff and looking to purchase something different.

Txs.

A

Hello: I had a Gugas as well. It was faster than me! The problem I had with it was I would forget to lock or unlock it. I dropped my pistol 3 times in practice with it. Not the holsters fault but the operators ;-) It is very well built and locks to the CR belt great. I have gone to the DOH named after me I think. It may be a little slower but I'm not that fast anyways. The other thing with the Gugas it shows off your new pistol. I used it for Limited. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I won't say that the Ribas is the perfect holster as there are a number of things I would change if it was my product...I'll outline a couple after the positives, but I still think it's the best out there right now.

First things first, the range of adjustment is easily equal to or way more than any other holster....it's essentially mounted on the end of a ball joint that lets you put it at any angle you want....just tighten down on the joint once it's set and forget about it. If you compare the construction there isn't much to compare....it's all metal save for the parts that contact the gun. All of the others save for the Limcat are pretty much polymer (not that it's a bad thing) which has to be less expensive to produce. The locking system is extremely solid and easy to use...just have to make a habit of locking the gun after the "holster" command. When in the semi-locked position, there's no way the gun will come out, but the lever is easy enough to hit during the draw. I use that whenever there's a start involving movement and you don't have to get the gun out immediately. Going to fully locked just means you have to move the lever farther with a bit more effort, but the locking levers are doing the same thing in both positions. If you lock the gun in place in either the semi or fully locked position, something will have to get broken to get the gun out and it's going to take a lot to do that.

The things I'd change? I'd like to slightly alter the shape and positioning of the locking lever a bit. If you really slap your hand down hard from surrender and miss by a fair amount, it's possible for a finger to hit the lever and put it in the semi-locked position. I trimmed the nub on the end of the lever and angled it so that if my finger hits it, it bounces off rather than engage the lever. I'd almost like to see it possible to lock the lever in the "unlocked" position so there's no way this could happen. Second, I'd tweek the tension adjustment system for a more linear progression in tension. As it stands you turn the knob a bunch and it stays pretty light and then all of a sudden it gets heavier quickly. The older version was better in this regard than the newest model.

I've also got the mag pouches and really like them as well. I like that you can set them up to have the magazine parallel or perpendicular to your body. I have mine set up perpendicular and it eliminates changing the orientation of your wrist as it leaves the gun and grabs the mag. I was a little worried that they would be terrible for prone starts, but I've had a couple of them in recent matches and I can lie prone with my front mag holder full and not lose the mag when getting up. It's not comfortable, but the mag stays in place.

The one thing I'd change on the mag holder involves the ball joint system it uses. You have a metal ball on the plastic cup of the holder and it doesn't hold tension as well as it could. You need to check them periodically to make sure they're still tight and I worry that repeated tightening will wear into the plastic cup to the point they won't hold tension....7 months or so and mine are still okay...we'll see how long that lasts.

Second, I'd tweek the tension adjustment system for a more linear progression in tension.

I was a little worried that they would be terrible for prone starts, but I've had a couple of them in recent matches and I can lie prone with my front mag holder full and not lose the mag when getting up.

I would second the first request. I would like either a larger range of adjustment or more adjustment in the range that exists

As far as prone starts go...if you run a front mag pouch the gugas pouches are the only ones that also allow the option of quickly and easily dismounting the pouch when it interferes with gear. I realize you can't do it at a pistol only match however it is worth it for 3 gun.

Great post Bart.....I agree with everything you've said. I have used my holster for 18 months with just about nothing more to add that Bart has not stated already. The holster is more expensive than others but in this case it is easy to see where the extra cost is. Materials and construction are the best out there. The locking system is so strong that it is more secure than most fully enclosed holsters. They also keep their value so there is no risk to try one out since it is easily sold if it doesn't agree with you. Just look at the classifieds here to see how many are looking to buy a used one. SSI had them available at Area2.

Shouldn't speak for him but 45DV8 has a Gugas setup and as far as I know loves the holster and is indifferent about the mag pouches. They tend to get loose. I have seen him dump a mag when that happened. Personally, don't want that risk.

Agree with all that's been said so far. Great holster and pouches - no regrets on purchasing them.

However, the tension adjustment could use some work and, those of us with a bit more meat on our bones do have a problem with the mag pouches working their way loose. I've just gotten in the habit of checking mine on a regular basis before I put them on, during matches/practice, and when I take them off.

Ok, I have to chime in here... I bought the holster after reading some great reviews, and overall I agree with most of what people said - quality of construction, broad range of adjustments, etc. I like the holster overall and would recommend it, but I'll just mention what I see as small negatives in contrast to all the positives mentioned.

What was not mentioned was the placement of the screws on the inside of the holster. The yellow (brass?) screws hold the plastic inserts that are in contact with your gun's trigger guard and I think they are too close to the surface of the plastic for comfort. In fact, I think one of the screws is actually rubbing against my trigger guard after the plastic wore down some from practicing. And is it just me, or does the fact that the front of the trigger guard rests on a screw (brass I hope) when holstered makes it a bit unsettling? That screw (and all the other ones inside) can easily be countersunk into the plastic by design so it doesn't touch the trigger guard. Also, I'm currently using my 1911 with it, and after a FEW DRAWS it was rubbing away the finish (black oxide) badly on the trigger guard.

Another thing that bugged me was the placement of the socket (part of the ball & socket joint for total 360 degree holster angle adjustment). It pressed hard against my leg to the point of discomfort when I positioned it to my draw angle. YMMV.

Since we have a quorum of GR users, I'd like to throw a question in whether anyone feels confident enough in its retention to do a turn and draw with the lock off.

I've played with it a few times and think it would work but have never had the guts to do it live.

Since we have a quorum of GR users, I'd like to throw a question in whether anyone feels confident enough in its retention to do a turn and draw with the lock off.

I've played with it a few times and think it would work but have never had the guts to do it live.

I feel confident enough w/ 15 clicks from fastest draw on the tension knob.

I've done it many times in practice and matches and never had an issue. I guess if you stumbled, nearly fell and your leg hit the muzzle and pushed it up hard the gun could come out, but that would be pretty extreme.

No problems with turn and draw unlocked. I will add that initially I was insecure with the Gugas holster. In retrospect much of my insecurity was simply mental. It was the first holster in which the "whole" gun was not held, and in my mind that was a little scary. After running around the house and doing several "hip shaker" tests I became more and more confident in the gun. Now I don't give it much of a second thought.

Edited by smokshwn

Turn and draw... I keep my tension very light so I don't want to sneeze after "stand by". On T&D I actually have my hand on the gun before I turn. It's all instant and I don't lose any time. The only other "special" thing I have to do because of the light tension is put it in the 1st lock position when starting from a seated and holstered start. Everything else is total confidence and super fast. Just don't forget to unlock it or you get nice little wedgie :o

Just don't forget to unlock it or you get nice little wedgie :o

I have inadvertently yanked on a locked holster a couple of times so hard that I thought I may have damged the holster. Although my "bits" were a bit uncomfortable after the ensuing atomic wedgie, I found the holster to be just fine :D

I finally got my hands on a used GR holster and used it for the first time at a match on Saturday.

I did not take the advice offered elsewhere on this forum to loctite the bolt which attaches the holster to the hanger, and it did come loose (fortunately no DQ). I will not make that mistake again.

I also had it hang up on a couple of my draws. I think it probably needs to be lubed - any suggestions on what to use?

Lastly, since it was cold Saturday, I was wearing a coat between stages, and I noticed that at one point the coat had pulled the lever to the unlocked position. I wish that the lever did not stick out so far when it is fully locked.

Otherwise I really liked the holster. It is extremely well made and I think I will be very happy with it once I have some more time to get used to it.

I also had it hang up on a couple of my draws. I think it probably needs to be lubed - any suggestions on what to use?

Lastly, since it was cold Saturday, I was wearing a coat between stages, and I noticed that at one point the coat had pulled the lever to the unlocked position. I wish that the lever did not stick out so far when it is fully locked.

On the draw, it's just a matter of getting it adjusted to the right orientation. Once properly set up, I've found the draw to be about the smoothest I've felt. Play around with the 86 different axes you can adjust and I'm sure you'll find a place where it works. Dry fire, patience, and hex keys are your friend.

On the lock, I haven't noticed a difference between the two notches so I just use the first one all the time. Much less likely to snag.

I did not take the advice offered elsewhere on this forum to loctite the bolt which attaches the holster to the hanger, and it did come loose (fortunately no DQ). I will not make that mistake again.

Make sure you play with the adjustments over a little time before you loctite anything. The bolt you are talking about takes a lot of turns to release the holster, so in the meantime it is fairly easy to just reach in and tighten it if it comes loose (mine doesn't).

On the draw hangup Racer has it right. Take some more time to adjust the holster and groove your draw. The holster releases like butter if the draw stroke is correct but if you miss it and torque a little bit either way the security of the holster kicks in and it maintains its hold.

You're right on the fact that once a little time has passed you will love it.

After running around the house and doing several "hip shaker" tests...

That must have been a sight :blink::lol:

Must have resembled that song by Shakira that is on someones ringtone :lol:

To all, don't let smokshwn's size fool you, he can move and shoot and shoot on the move really well :) ...one day I'll be that good too :D

That's why I got one of them GR/SSI holsters because when I saw it in action I was impressed and the quality too.

B)

After running around the house and doing several "hip shaker" tests...

That must have been a sight :blink::lol:

Must have resembled that song by Shakira that is on someones ringtone :lol:

To all, don't let smokshwn's size fool you, he can move and shoot and shoot on the move really well :) ...one day I'll be that good too :D

That's why I got one of them GR/SSI holsters because when I saw it in action I was impressed and the quality too.

B)

I do love me some Shakira......and as far as a Gugas holster goes.....my hips don't lie :surprise: