Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to buy S&W 625JM or 627PC?

PistolPete

Here is another thought of mine. I'm not sure which revolver I want to get. I'm not looking at the S&W 625JM in .45 ACP. Seems like a pretty sweet gun. I like the idea this gun is a .45 as I already have everything I need to reload .45 so that's a plus. It has a drawback because it is only a 6 shooter and not an 8 shot. The price is better on the 625 and I have a ton of .45 bullet components that I need to use up. I know the 625JM isn't a Performance Center gun so there are some drawbacks there. I'm just looking for a wheel gun to mess around with. I had a 627 that I sold a few years back and loved that gun. Will the 627 be a gun that I would love equally or will I not be happy unless I get the 627?

Thanks,

Pete

Is this for USPSA or ICORE or just shooting around?

USPSA Revolver is 6 shots.. I think the 625 rules there. I have a 627 and just shoot 6.. it's a very soft shooting pistol.

Performance Center don't seem to mean much. Real revolver shooters will chime in soon..

No matter what model, you'll need a trigger job..

The gun would just be for messing around with. I may do some local steel matches with the gun so for that reason the 627 would prob. make more sense. However, I'll mostly just mess around with the gun from time to time. I was thinking of just getting a revolver next week but I think I need more time to decide which route to take. I doubt I will ever shoot revolver in USPSA as I'm an auto guy. I just think everyone needs a good wheel gun. I think I would like the 627 more but I'm not sure if I'll get enough use out of the gun to justify the extra cost of the gun plus all the reloading components. (brass, bullets, dies, etc. etc. etc.)

Hey Pete, You got too much time on your hands!! Take it from me, And I am sure Dave P would say the same. I f your going to shoot USPSA you need a 6 Shot wheelie, using an 8 shooter for USPSA is just asking for trouble givin the 7th shot would put you in open div. If you are going to do just plinking and the occasional steel/pin/Icore match then the 8 shooter is for you.

Now, you have a big choice to make, 627 PC 38/357 or 38 super if you can find one, 327 PC which is very light in weight or the M&P which is also very light in weight.

6 shooters, 625 ( do not bother with the PC model,not worth the extra $$ IMO) is the most common in USPSA, But you have other choices as well, other People including my self and Dave P. Have gone another route, Dave uses a 610 in 40 S&W and that is what I used to shoot but found the N frame a little big for my hands (short fingers) I have gone with a converted 686 38/357 to 38 super. the frame on the L frame is a little shorter and the trigger pull distance is not as long. Soo many choices!!!!!

Good luck in your decision. drop me a line or give me a call if you have any thing I could help with.

John

The 610 is hard to beat as an "all-around" gun.

Downloaded to 125 PF, it's great for ICORE, steel, and plinking. Loaded to major, it's still controlable for USPSA. And if you choose, drop some factory 10mm in and go hunting. Any new revolver will need some sort of action work.

BTW...I have a 610, 625, and 627

You guys are killing me!!!! haha Now I'm more confused than ever. Maybe I just need to stick with the bottom feeders. They are so much easier. I know they will be either .40 or .38 super and then just need to decide who I want to build the thing. With wheel guns there are too many choices.

Who does the L frame conversion to 38 super?

I know Pinnacle does.

http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp

I have always thought it was a cool conversion but never messed with it because I wasn't/am not sure it is legal for USPSA. I still would like to have one done at some point to play with and carry if nothing else. And giving the extra points for minor would hurt.

Edited by vrmn1

I still think the 4" 625 is the most useful and versatile handgun money can buy. It can be used effectively in ALL the gun games and it is also a superior choice for concealed carry and hunting. It can manage any bullet weight and shape from 155 to 255 grs., either cast, plated or jacketed and any 625 that is made properly does not need moonclips to fire individual rounds. When things are looking bad this is the one gun you really want to have. Considering you already load .45 ACP I see it as the most logical choice.

Dave Sinko

I think you should buy both, there is no such thing as having too many guns. I am a profound bottom feeder type guy because it allows me to load more bullets & shoot longer. But before I get strung up by revo guys I also have a Colt Trooper Mark III, a S&W 686, 4" S&W M29, 10 1/2" Super Blackhawk, S&W 617 & S&W 625. I've had a Python & Security Six that were stolen. The difference between men & boys is the price of their toys.

You guys are killing me!!!! haha Now I'm more confused than ever. Maybe I just need to stick with the bottom feeders. They are so much easier. I know they will be either .40 or .38 super and then just need to decide who I want to build the thing. With wheel guns there are too many choices.

Pete, you need to go to MRA and see the boys and try out what they have to decide what you want. Then you will be totally baffled :blink:

I still think the 4" 625 is the most useful and versatile handgun money can buy. It can be used effectively in ALL the gun games and it is also a superior choice for concealed carry and hunting. It can manage any bullet weight and shape from 155 to 255 grs., either cast, plated or jacketed and any 625 that is made properly does not need moonclips to fire individual rounds. When things are looking bad this is the one gun you really want to have. Considering you already load .45 ACP I see it as the most logical choice.

Dave Sinko

+1 on what Dave says. I just sold a 6 1/2" 627 to a friend because I've grown to like the 625 better. I have a 4" and a 25 8 3/8". If I had to pick just one keeper of all, it would be the 4" 625.

Edited to add pic of 627 - not too many of those around.

IMG_2707.jpg

Edited by festus1

Pete,

This is coming from a guy who mostly shoots bottom feeders too.

I originally started out with a 625 as I felt it was a logical choice and could be used for most of the games we play.

Since then my revos have multiplied - I now have a few more.. 610, 627-5 38 special (x3) ,627-4 38super (x2) , 27-7 (x2), 25-2, 625jm, 625, 686, 686+, 617(x2)...

I think if your goal was to use a revo for a specific game - then the gun should be tailored to that game - like a 610 or 625 for IPSC and an 8 shot or 7 shot revo for steel.

In your case it sounds like you are not planning to use this for IPSC or IDPA.

With that said, I go the 627 route. Those pistols retain their value should you decide to sell and are great for plinking and really great for the steel shooting games - the exta 2 shots will be benificial is SC and knock down steel.

I'd also suggest not letting the components dictate the choice.

Setting up your press for 38special will not be very expensive, with a revo you tend not to loose brass + with the cost savings of using smaller bullet (125g vs 230g) will pay for the set up in no time.

FYI - I am using .356 - 125JHPs for 9mm major, 38super steel load and my 38 special steel load.

Good Luck

Paul

Edited by pmd

I was thinking about the bullet component idea. Since I'm already shooting 125 grain .356 bullet heads couldn't i just use those in the 627? I don't really plan on using the revolver for anything specific but for messing around with and maybe shooting a few local steel matches with it. I think having the 8 shot cylinder is a huge benefit.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to shoot limited or open for next season. I know I didn't shoot at all this year but that is changing as of right now. I'm going to start shooting full speed ahead again but this time being smarter about things. I've actually made an appointment to see an eye doctor to see if I can improve my vision amongst other things. I'll prob. stay in open but since I have quite a few limited guns I'm not really sure what to shoot. I'll prob. shoot 95% open and 5% limited. Who knows???

Pete

I think the best advice is to own as many revos as you can and shoot them all. I'm up to 4 627s plus uncounted 625s and two 610s(maybe the 610s will catch up). I have two .38 Super converions, an 8-shot done by RPM and a 686 done by Rick McDowell(Competition Specialties). A really old Baumann 7-shot is in the safe and (please forgive me) a Taurus 608 moonclipped by Bob Miles (RAM). That 608 is a real PIG......no fault of Bob's....because it won't stabilize heavy bullets and the action feels weird.

For shooting steel, a moonclipped 8-shot .38 Super just can't be beat. The reloads are very quick, perhaps rivalled by the .38 Short Colt which I'm working on now.

Have fun!!!!

Bob.

Dave Sinko

+1 on what Dave says. I just sold a 6 1/2" 627 to a friend because I've grown to like the 625 better. I have a 4" and a 25 8 3/8". If I had to pick just one keeper of all, it would be the 4" 625.

Edited to add pic of 627 - not too many of those around.

IMG_2707.jpg

Would your friend be interested in trading that 6.5" 627 for a 5" 610?

I was trying to talk myself out of buying revolver but I was at the range today and got to shoot a couple of 627's. I emailed my gunshop and told them to get one for me this week. I'll post pics when I pick her up. Thanks for all your ideas.

Pete

The 625 JM and the 625 Performance center are good guns but let me tell you from 1st hand experience that if you can get just a standard run of the mill 625 in 4" or 5" barrel get it. Performance center guns are overrated :ph34r: unless they do not come in the standard Smith production line. I own several and every single one will need an action job. That line that they say they come with butter smooth actions and pulls is bull. All of them come with minimum 9-10 lb pulls and the fraction that the cylinder might be shorter so as to help move faster will only benefit you if you are well into master class shooter. Save your money for a trigger/action job, which you'll need to do regardless of production or performance center, and ammo and go with a production model instead of performance center. You'll be just as content and with a little extra jingle in your pocket. If you go with the 627 then you'll need a performance center and they are great guns-I own 5 of them and 2 625's.

Good Luck.

Bob

The 625 JM and the 625 Performance center are good guns but let me tell you from 1st hand experience that if you can get just a standard run of the mill 625 in 4" or 5" barrel get it. Performance center guns are overrated :ph34r: unless they do not come in the standard Smith production line. I own several and every single one will need an action job. That line that they say they come with butter smooth actions and pulls is bull. All of them come with minimum 9-10 lb pulls and the fraction that the cylinder might be shorter so as to help move faster will only benefit you if you are well into master class shooter. Save your money for a trigger/action job, which you'll need to do regardless of production or performance center, and ammo and go with a production model instead of performance center. You'll be just as content and with a little extra jingle in your pocket.

Bob is absolutely correct. Most of the top revolver guys, including Miculek, tend to show up to the big matches with plain old production 625s (with really nice aftermarket action jobs, of course). Both my competition 625s were purchased used (but only slightly used) at different gun shows in Des Moines--I paid $450 apiece.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyones advice. I ended up buying the 627 5" as I think I will use it more. It's more of a plinking gun and one to just have a ton of fun with. I doubt I will compete at all with it except maybe for some local steel matches. Mr. Sardina would you like to perform your magic on this trigger? It is aweful!!!!

Would it be OK to shoot my .38 super .356 Zero 125 grain bullets in this gun or should I buy the .357 bullets? What type of powder is recommended for these round guns anyways???

Here are a few pics:

untitled02.jpg

untitled01.jpg

Pete