Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Out of control forest fire near my home

GentlemanJim

Nasty fire burning just a few miles to our west...several people we know have lost thier homes.

The wind is bringing it our way...its very smokey here now.

the wind is expected to get real bad this evening.

Lots of nice folks are in real trouble.

Im going back to the red cross center they put up in town...see if I can help.

Jim :(

Damn Jim, you and Nanci need to get your stuff and get the hell outta there ASAP.

Grab the titles to your house, cars, insurance info, birth certificates, computers, guns etc... and get outta there.

For the safety of the firefighters, should they have to come to your house, take your gun powder and ammo out too!!!!

Majors prayers are being said on your behalves!!!!

Be safe!!!

Jay ...its still several miles from here....I think we will be ok we have 3000gal of water and aux power to run our pump.

But Quite a few folks we know are in the thick of it right now.

I will keep an eye out this evening!!

Right now we are putting food together...we were going to have Thanksgiving today insted of tomorrow...so we will take what we have over to the fire fighters and families displaced by the fire.

Dont worry about us ..Its the folks directly in the path that need Prayers!!!

Gotta go

Jim

Jim

It sounds like you got a few things covered. Before you get too busy making sure everyone else is OK, comfort me and tell me that 3k gallons is for a sprinkler system and that you have plenty of defensible space around you....

You and Nanc take care my friend, Craig

We are back....the wind has changed and the fire slowed its advance tward several little towns.

You can see the flames from here now that it is dark..the wind is not as bad as predicted so that will help.

as of now it is not likely that it would get down this far...we are on the plain just below the mountain.

With the wind shift the smoke is also not too bad now.

Will keep posted on any new events...thanks soo much for your support!!

Jim

The mountains are beautiful to look at and lots of fun for hunting and 4-wheeling (and shooting 3-gun) but I'm thankful that we live down in the flat area and not in the middle of that raging fire. It has been so dry here in the Southwest and there are thousands of cubic feet of fuel in the path of that fire. What a helpless feeling for people whose homes cannot be saved and who must rely on the help of others for their survival. This will indeed be a memorable Thanksgiving Day for the people of central New Mexico.

I would like to acknowledge the brave and hard-working fire fighters all over our country who continue to put themselves in danger and work tirelessly until the danger of fire is under control. Thank you. These men and women are awesome!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...

Edited by LadyinBlue

We are back....the wind has changed and the fire slowed its advance tward several little towns.

You can see the flames from here now that it is dark..the wind is not as bad as predicted so that will help.

as of now it is not likely that it would get down this far...we are on the plain just below the mountain.

With the wind shift the smoke is also not too bad now.

Will keep posted on any new events...thanks soo much for your support!!

Jim

Our thoughts are with you Jim...

Edited by JThompson

Man I hope things settle down for you guys. Will keep you guys in my prayers. The police chief in Mountainair is a very good friend of mine, his son is a volunteer fireman there and my brother lives in Moriarty. Very personal for me. I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

EPILOGUE

Amazing things can happen :rolleyes:

Yersterday at about the last possible moment...the west wind died down and slowly changed direction, blowing the fire back upon itself.

This saved all the homes in the direct path and also prevented the fire from reaching the grasslands saving the ranches and homes there as well.

As of this morning..very cold air and very light winds came in and it is expected that it will snow on the mountain.

It seems that all the things needed to bring this event under control have come to pass. :)

Two families that we know had their homes burned...but many others did not.

An older couple that have done upholstery for me for years have lost all they had.

Gilbert and Ursula Torrez...about as sweet of people That God ever put on earth :(

Thanks for your prayers! for many they were answered just in time.

Jim

Yahoo...it's snowing! Looks like the fire may be over soon. Although they say it's only 5% contained, they sent one helocopter back today and have plans to send half the crew home by noon tomorrow. I think we lost a total of 6 homes and about 10 "out buildings", barns and sheds etc.. I don't know the total acreage burned...last count was over 7500. I just spent the last 4hours in town helping to feed 400 cold and hungry fire fighters. They were as grateful for our help as we were for theirs. Life is good. :)

I just saw this thread. I'm glad to see that a mostly happy ending came out of it. I'm sorry to hear that some homes were lost in the fire.

Jim and Nanci, you're work to help the firefighters was a wonderful thing to do, and was surely appreciated by those that are willing to put it all on the line to save others.

I have been watching this on the news, and glad the weather finally cooperated. Awful dry here in the Four Corners area also, but have a couple of inches of snow this morning. Good luck Jim, and hopefully this will be the last fire of the season.