Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beautiful Piece of History

LadyinBlue

As soon as I saw the first pic with several of the engine cowlings off, I was wondering if Jim had started taking the engines off while nobody was looking....some secret hotrod project fodder and then I see the pic with him standing in front with a Chesire cat grin on his face.....be afraid, be very afraid! I don't even want to KNOW how fast that Suburban would go with a big Pratt & Whitney mounted on the roof! :o

The nose art is cool. I have a coffee table book of nose art. Quite a few are Varga style pin-ups, but a good deal are very creative using the outline of various parts to complete animals or other symbols....sharks, dragons, etc.

My favorite nose art of all time has to be one I've only seen in a picture....it had a huge dragon painted on it with the words "Myassis Dragon"....evidently a lot of people missed the witty name and thought it was the name of a particular kind of dragon...lol

The nose art is cool. I have a coffee table book of nose art. Quite a few are Varga style pin-ups, but a good deal are very creative using the outline of various parts to complete animals or other symbols....sharks, dragons, etc.

My favorite nose art of all time has to be one I've only seen in a picture....it had a huge dragon painted on it with the words "Myassis Dragon"....evidently a lot of people missed the witty name and thought it was the name of a particular kind of dragon...lol

Myasis-Dragon3.jpg

Myasis-Dragon.jpg

looks a like a B24 with the 28th bomb group out of Alaska during WW II

Edited by eerw

One of the best places to catch Warbirds up close and personal is at the annual Oshkosh EAA convention in Oshkosh Wisconsin. I haven't been in years, but it generally takes place in July. Walking the flightline you can see everything from box kites to B2s. Great experience.

Yeah, I got to go to the Osh Kosh show in the summer of '87. One of the B-17's was about to do an engine start and then taxi out to do some fly-bys.

I was 15 at the time. There was a lady next to me who kept creeping up closer to the rear of the plane. She had a nice camera rig or two and was trying to shoot some pics.

I told her she shouldn't get so close because the engines are going to spew oil on start up.

She was wearing white, of course, and didn't pay any attention to what this then pimpley faced sun burnt braces wearing 15 year old had to say.

Sure enough.

she got peppered by all that oil. I'm sure some had to get on her camera(s) and lens(es)

Thanks for posting those pics.

Yeah, it is expensive to catch a ride on one of those birds, but for a once in a lifetime chance and all those memories, it's worth it.

It's also worth it to keep those planes flying.

Galveston TX has a fantastic flight museum. It is home to a bunch of these old war birds. As I recall, they offer flights on their B-17 for $425 and $350 or so for the B-25. They also feature P-47s, Cosairs..etc. The place is well worth a look.

We have a little weekend cottage down there. I always run outside just to stare when I hear those big engines roaring overhead. The sights are spectacular!

The men who flew those birds, THEY WERE MEN!!!!

It will be a long time before we see there like again.

No disrespect to the pilots of today, but they just aren't the same. Hopefully the blood hasn't thinned though.

God Bless all our veterans and those who continue to serve.

Horsepower is a wonderful sound. I get goosebumps when I hear big Radials and those V12 Merlins. I can't help myself.

My Grandfather worked for the RAF repairing bombed building at Airfields during WW2 and he used to regail us with stories of the Spitfires, Hurricanes and later the P51's. He always said there is nothing like that sound, it was not until I was a little older and got to hear one up close that I really understood.