Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultimate Gamer's Idpa (belt) Holster.

Stainless Steel

Hi All:

What is the ultimate gamer's IDPA (belt) holster.

Attributes I am looking for are fastest, lips stay

open for reholstering, sight channel to avoid

sight dragging during drawing, easy on gun finish

and durable for extended practice sessions. Also

not too tight.

Not sure about the cant, which is fastest?

I know, I know, IDPA isn't for gamer's. This

question is hypothetical only. Wink, wink.

Stainless.

nra1.gif

I'm a HUGE fan of Comp-Tac's gear. I've been using thier locking paddle holster since I started shooting IDPA. VERY fast holster. I also use the Comp-Tac double mag pouch.

http://www.comp-tac.com

I use the wilderness instructors belt, in 1.5" wide. Its reinforced and very secure.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?...23&min=0&dyn=1&

Give them a shot!

BradC

Easy on the finish and fast don't go together real well. The fastest holsters are Kydex, but they are also the hardest on the finish. The solution is simple, plastic holster, hard chrome pistol.

Actually, in my experience, a Kydex holster will eventually wear even hard chrome.

I use a Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster. What can I say, there's a reason this holster pretty much owns IDPA. I also have several Safariland 560s, one GM size, one Officer's. It's a great holster, but I prize it for its ability to be adjusted to fit various different guns, not its overall utility as a competion rig. I mean, it's not bad, just not in the Blade-Tech SBH's league. The 560 features an FBI tilt which is innately less ergonomic than a straight drop - as available on the SBH. On the 560, the portion of the holster body that affixes to the paddle comes up high enough on the back side of the holster that it interferes with me getting my thumb on top of the safety lever during first hand contact to the gun. And it's a bulky holster, an important consideration if you think you might ever need to use it for concealment. Yes, I've worn it as a concealed carry rig in the past, but it's definitely not the first choice in that role.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Safariland 561 and it has a straight drop, I can use it for several guns and when I keep it loose for the 1911's it's as fast as I am.

I like my Comp-tac undercover but it breaks J clips often and is very hard on HK's finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Buckeye, I have a Wilson Tactical Assault which I have been using in IDPA. First with a Kimber Pro Tac II (4" barrel), and now with a full-size Springfield.

My one sort-of problem is that the holster I have is the slightly smaller one for the 4" barrel. My Springfield extends out the bottom a little, and it seems that if I don't draw just right, the front slide serrations hang up on the end. I intend to get a Comp-Tac holster for the Springfield in the near future.

Otherwise, it has been a great holster.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out Josh Bulman's holsters!! They are the highest quality and are the best and fastest holster for IDPA. I shoot IDPA with Josh and he designed a Scabbard SBS-2 just for speed. The holster has smooth leather inside and out with Kidex in between and a tension screw. The kidex makes the holster rigid and the smooth leather interior makes it slippery. Don't tell Josh, but you can heat up the holster with a hair drier and adjust the fit so the gun just flies out. If you use a hair drier, just use a a little heat, it does not take much to soften the kidex and leather. check out josh's belts also!! they are first class, kidex with two pieces of quality leather over the kidex, its makes for a very stiff belt and your gear is not flopping around. You can call and talk with josh if you have any questions.

bulmangunleather.com

(814)6968615

sv45

I'm probably the minority here, but I use a leather Haugen Holster for my 1911. The gun has a flimsy fiber optic front, that hasn't seemed to be a problem though, it's super fast as long as I don't sinch up my belt really tight. The inside of the holster is soft leather and I haven't had any scratches or wear appear.

I use an Uncle Mikes/G-17 & its about 80-90% as good a s the rest. however, the hooper & some of the others sit a bit lower on the belt and have other features like a cut out front that offer slight advantages. No question that the UM works just fine, its just that the others have advantages. Are the advantages worth $60 vs. $15 for the Uncle Mikes? You decide.