Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 610 is Back: 4" & 6.5"

Jerry V

I'd also like to see it in an L frame.

You mean like the 646? This is a great shooting gun. I had a 4" 610, then I bought the 646. Guess if I'd been shooting major loads out of it all the time, I'd have stuck with the 610. As it was, the 646 just handled better

The 646 grip configuration is standard round-butt L-frame, nothing unusual. Any RB K/L grips will fit fine.

The 646 is a pretty neat gun, I bought one for IDPA back before they split up SSR and ESR--it was a nearly perfect gun for that application. Now, the 646 is sort of a fish out of water, from a competition perspective--it's just a little too light to be comfortable shooting a couple hundred rounds of major power ammo. I did shoot mine last year at the Iowa Back-to-Back match, since both my 625s were lent out. Shooting minor, it was a lot of fun. Still, the 646 is not really viable as a serious competition gun in any discipline I can think of.

I bought a 5" 610 a few months ago, just to see what all the ruckus is about, and I still can't figure out anything it does from a competition standpoint that a .45 ACP revolver doesn't do better.

I guess it might make sense for the shooter crossing over from Limited who already has a bunch of .40 ammo, components, reloading equipment, etc. Otherwise, I don't really get it.

I always wondered if I would be able to reload the 610 quicker than the 625. I figured the smaller bullets combined with some serious chamfering would be faster.

Can someone who owns both a 610 and a 625 post a picture of the chargeholes side by side?

Some shoot Minor in the 646 even at the big IDPA matches. Apparently this works quite well. I have never seen a chrono at any major IDPA match I have attended. As for the charge hole issues, six .452 holes will load quicker than six .40 holes. I am convinced that nothing beats the 625.

Dave Sinko

I bought a 5" 610 a few months ago, just to see what all the ruckus is about, and I still can't figure out anything it does from a competition standpoint that a .45 ACP revolver doesn't do better.

I guess it might make sense for the shooter crossing over from Limited who already has a bunch of .40 ammo, components, reloading equipment, etc. Otherwise, I don't really get it.

I always wondered if I would be able to reload the 610 quicker than the 625. I figured the smaller bullets combined with some serious chamfering would be faster.

Can someone who owns both a 610 and a 625 post a picture of the chargeholes side by side?

Hi Spook

I can answer your question

I shot the 4 inch 610 for 3 seasons IDPA and IPSC 1 season

after alot of shooting with the 610 I switched to 625 for the reload times

after one month of shooting the 625 my reloads became .80 faster one month!!

now after a full summer of shooting the 625 my reloads are 1.00 faster than the 610.

on my 610 I even did the dremel champhering after Jerry M. showed me one of his 610s

After seeing Jerrys champher I think Dr. Dremel may be in trouble.

hope this helps to save you time and $$$.

ps on good days you can load both guns at about the same rate.

IPSC most reloads are on the move, thus the time difference is not much a factor.

IDPA all reloads are flat footed behind cover. this is where the reload speed increase helps.

Gary

OK now this has nothing to do with competition but one of the coolest 610's I have ever seen and/or shot belongs to "Doc" O'Meara the writer of some note about Colts mostly.

It was a 5" gun from the first run. He had it rechambered to 38/40. That is a fine shooting sixgun.

I am trying to add a picture of it from the day Doc and I meet and became friends.

I have posted photos before but it won't work today so here is the link.

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/vrm...ent=docs610.jpg

Edited by vrmn1

OK now this has nothing to do with competition but one of the coolest 610's I have ever seen and/or shot belongs to "Doc" O'Meara the writer of some note about Colts mostly.

It was a 5" gun from the first run. He had it rechambered to 38/40. That is a fine shooting sixgun.

I am trying to add a picture of it from the day Doc and I meet and became friends.

I have posted photos before but it won't work today so here is the link.

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/vrm...ent=docs610.jpg

Interesting conversion. So, what exactly has to be done to go from moon clipped revo back to rimmed?I have also read where some Blackhawks have been done in this chambering and can be handloaded to some pretty impressive numbers , far above the normal 38-40's capabilities. Would this conversion handle hotter 38-40 loads?

Interesting conversion. So, what exactly has to be done to go from moon clipped revo back to rimmed?I have also read where some Blackhawks have been done in this chambering and can be handloaded to some pretty impressive numbers , far above the normal 38-40's capabilities. Would this conversion handle hotter 38-40 loads?

No this would not handle the super hot Blackhawk loads. I have shot one of those Dustin Linebaugh made by the way. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!

Kinda like "Ruger only" 45 Colt loads.

I have to think he used a different cylinder.

I like the idea of a 610, I made the mistake of buying a 625 about 4 years ago, I don't really like shooting it, and I hate paying for shipping for those heavy bullets. I talked myself out of the 610, because at the time I was shooting some IDPA and they came out with that stupid rule that you can have a 5" barrel auto but not a 5" barrel revolver. The 610 is probably the MOST versatile, easy to make minor with, just get some light bullets in the 145-155 range and puff them out there and you can easily make major with the 180's for a soft shooting IDPA legal load AND it is easily powerfull enough for handgun hunting with the 10mm loads. There are PLENTY of round nose bullets out there, you just have to look. You can always use hard cast lead bullets intended for the 38-40.

A few years after the 610 came out the first time somebody rechambered one to 10mm Magnum :surprise:

They had an article on it in one of those annual mags (Handguns maybe ??)

Starline made the brass and I think it started life in a semiauto ?

As others have stated, the 610 is a bit more finicky to speed load with TC bullets, but I wonder if

that's more of an issue with loose fitting brass-to-moon clips than the bullets as much.

Rainer's plated bullets in 200 grn have a nice curve to their nose with a small flat point, their 180's

have an even smaller flat point.

Berrys 200's have some good radii, their 180 grn full round nose would be great if they made them

the correct size :angry2: (anybody need 4-5K of some .398 RN heads !!)

What we need is a scaled up 147 FMJ 9mm or a scaled down 230 JRN 45ACP

I just got a bucket full of wheel weights so now maybe I'll need to find a custom bullet die :wacko:

(course I need everything else to go with it too !)

Just passed up an old model 610 to save my pennies for a new one,

just hope they're mass legal :wacko:

I just got a bucket full of wheel weights so now maybe I'll need to find a custom bullet die :wacko:

What weight do you want? Magma Egineering makes a couple round nose bullet MOLDS for the 40/10mm.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/bulletmolds.php?bm=40CAL10MM

How big a bucket of WW's do you have? I went through about 40 gal last year. :surprise:

Hi Spook

I can answer your question

I shot the 4 inch 610 for 3 seasons IDPA and IPSC 1 season

after alot of shooting with the 610 I switched to 625 for the reload times

after one month of shooting the 625 my reloads became .80 faster one month!!

now after a full summer of shooting the 625 my reloads are 1.00 faster than the 610.

on my 610 I even did the dremel champhering after Jerry M. showed me one of his 610s

After seeing Jerrys champher I think Dr. Dremel may be in trouble.

hope this helps to save you time and $$$.

ps on good days you can load both guns at about the same rate.

IPSC most reloads are on the move, thus the time difference is not much a factor.

IDPA all reloads are flat footed behind cover. this is where the reload speed increase helps.

Gary

Here is a shot of the 610 and the 625 side by side.

You can see that the space between holes is much less on the 625.

My best reload times are nearly the same, but they are more consistent with the 625 and the bigger holes

Cheetahs, thanks for the info :)

You write about Jerry's chamfer on his 610. Was that a typo or did he really shoot one? Can you tell me some more about the chamfering on his gun?

I'm really interested!

Delta Mike, thanks for the pic :)

Yes, I see a lot more metal between the chageholes on the 610. But I also think the chamfering could be a lot more agressive (nearly removing any metal at the face of the cylinder). What do you think?

What weight do you want? Magma Egineering makes a couple round nose bullet MOLDS for the 40/10mm.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/bulletmolds.php?bm=40CAL10MM

How big a bucket of WW's do you have? I went through about 40 gal last year. :surprise:

found that web sight right after I sent my last BE post !

I'd look at the 200 bevel base, I like the photo of the 180 Flat base at the bottom

(even though it don't look like no flat base <_< )

Best for me would be a 200 moly coated, loose the lube groove.

What's the deal with flat bases or bevel bases ?? sure a bevel is easier to get into

the case but there must be a reason for flat base bullets.

don't think I could go thru 40 gallons of lead bullets, don't think my arm would hold up to that much work !!

Since I moved from the steel moons to the polymner ones, I've not noticed the problem as much. The polymer clips hold the brass nice and straight and you don't need to rattle them in as bad as the steel ones.

Another option I'm looking at for the lack of RN bullets is having Corbin make me a swage die that I can put truncated bullets into and press them into semi-pointed RN's. All I need do is choose my bullet weight and send them my source bullet that I want it made from. When I have the cash for it, I want to have them make me up a swage die that makes a semi-pointed bullet as opposed to a round nose as I think the more pointed the bullet is, the more it will lend itself to getting into the chamber. We have all kinds of room since we load 40's in the 610, so either a 180 or a 200 gr semi pointed might just be the ticket. I asked them the cost and it is in the $400 range.. a small price for exactly what I want :)

We'll see..

Another option I'm looking at for the lack of RN bullets is having Corbin make me a swage die that I can put truncated bullets into and press them into semi-pointed RN's. All I need do is choose my bullet weight and send them my source bullet that I want it made from. When I have the cash for it, I want to have them make me up a swage die that makes a semi-pointed bullet as opposed to a round nose as I think the more pointed the bullet is, the more it will lend itself to getting into the chamber. We have all kinds of room since we load 40's in the 610, so either a 180 or a 200 gr semi pointed might just be the ticket. I asked them the cost and it is in the $400 range.. a small price for exactly what I want :)

We'll see..

I was thinking that same thing for the undersized 180's I have,

"squish" the bullet to a .401/.402 diameter and reshape

the nose a little maybe. 400 bucks huh :surprise:

Might be worth it if you buy up all the crappy plated bullets out there ;)

So what does that $400 include ??

It includes, as far as I know, a die that you can apparently use with a simgle stage press to press your sample bullet (swage) into the shape you want it to be. It's a custom item. Probably need to check Corbin's web page.