Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Several Benelli questions from new board member

Red in MI

I have decided to buy a Benelli but have several questions.

What is the major differences between the Older M1 and newer M2 and would you recommend one over the other?

Should I go 12 or 20 guage?

I want an extended Bolt handle and Bolt release. Which ones do you suggest.

Also, what barrel lenght? I have considered 21'' or 24''. I want a mag extension to be flush with the barrel. What are the best mag extensions?

Also, what is the lightest 12 and 20 ga. loads that will reliable cycle in the benelli?

I have considered a camo gun as well. Can the mag extensions be finsihed to match and who can do that type of finishing?

Thanks in advance

Welcom to the forum Red

There has been a lot of info on Benelli M1/M2 shotguns. I recomend trying the search function. Also contact Benny Hill of Triangle shooting sports 361-241-1091. He is tops with putting together a Benelli. by the time you get all the parts and try to assemble it yourself it will still only be 90% of what you need. From Benny it comes out of the box 100%. Following are the specs of my M2.

M2, 21" with comfort tech stock

Hi vis red fiberoptic front sight with white rear notch in rib for slug shooting

Progressive machine titanium bolt handle (painted black as the glare of the silver was distracting to me)

Lightened bolt (also welded up for ghost loading)

Arredondo extended bolt release

Carlson m2 crio tube, extended (not ported) skeet choke

SRM mag tube (the Nordic tube is nicer but was not available when I built my gun)

Relievd and polished feed ramp for slug feed reliability ( a recent mod, "Thanks Kurt Miller")

post-6767-1194610386.jpg

M1 or M2, M2 has the comfort stock and those are nice, but either one will do! I HATE OVERSIZED BOLT HANDLES!! Over sized bolt release is GOOD!

Cammo is good! Do a search on REAL-TREE cammo and you will come up with the company that does gun painting for them. Had them do My extention and it matches perfectly.

If you are handy you can do all of it yourself, if not SEE BENNY!! KurtM

Best cure for slug problems is salt! Just hog out the feed ramp and surrounding area and polish up. Try to see a gun that has been done first, but that is the gist of it. Did I mention that I HATE oversized bolt handles?? KurtM

No the barrel has a little teensy weensy feed ramp....from there...well...look at one thats been done. If you have access to a full on Bevin gun you can get the idea. If not, stick with the salt!

New bolt handle??? If it isn't a standard one that has been pared down to nothing more than thin blade the width of the handle body where it goes into the bolt, be SURE to include return postage :lol: but thaks for the thought! KURTM

I really recomend that you take a look at one that has been done first, in person cause it is real easy to grind in the wrong place or go too far if you don't have a good idea of how it all goes! KURTM

These pictures are just about right, except they missed doing the "feed ramp" it,sself. The whole thing should look like a cone and the extractor cut should be VERY SLIGHTLY rounded. The WRONG is the blend ABOVE the extractor cut (it looks like it has been rounded, but maybe not it is hard to tell from the photos). Now the square edge above the extracvtor cut need some attention, but where it appears to be done on this one is in the wrong place!

There are SEVERAL thing that can cause slugs to hang up, no porting as above, weak lifter spring, filled in lifter not bent down at 8% at the nose, lifter dog nose too square. BAD MAGAZINE SPRING!!!

Neil, Mikey will bring you pictures of what to do! Yes I recomend it, Mikey will also have a little present for you, John H., and Geoff S. even though he runs an Extrema! And NO Smokey Bear DON'T TELL!! KURTM

There are SEVERAL thing that can cause slugs to hang up, no porting as above, weak lifter spring, filled in lifter not bent down at 8% at the nose, lifter dog nose too square. BAD MAGAZINE SPRING!!!

I have a C-RUMS lifter gate installed and it was causing slugs to hang up. I bent the nose of it down like Kurt suggests above and it runs fine now. Easy fix, no grinding.

Neil, Mikey will bring you pictures of what to do! Yes I recomend it, Mikey will also have a little present for you, John H., and Geoff S. even though he runs an Extrema! And NO Smokey Bear DON'T TELL!! KURTM

Thanks Kurt :D

Good luck at Benning guys.

N

Before I break the stock fiber sight on my benelli, does it just come off if you unscrew it counter-clockwise?

Lefty loosey...Haven't broken one yet.... Should not be a problem.

Cool, thank you Merlin and TRUBL. It came off no problem with a small pair of smooth faced pliers. I just tried using my fingers before.