Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no-one sees Randy...

Randy Lee

Hi guys,

It's a 625 that the customer wanted a custom barrel fitted, Ti cylinder and pretty much anything I could think of.

The barrel started life as a Krieger blank- pricey but I really like the consistency. What can I say, I'm a traditionalist as far as rifling goes- I really prefer either broach cut or single point cut rifling. In this case, the Krieger is single point cut.

Barrel length is 5.5". I believe the customer will be using it for USPSA and wasn't sure if he wanted a six inch for sight radius, or a five inch for maneuverability... so we split the difference.

Hopefully he'll be happy with it...

Suh-weeet!! This is why we got our Revolver Division rules changed, to allow for this sort of creativity and innovation. As of January 1, you can use custom barrels, as long as they aren't ported or compensated. Add weight, take away weight, or whatever suits you.

Any idea how it shoots at 50 yards?

(And please tell me that isn't skateboard tape on the trigger!)

Yes Mike... it is poorman's serrations... :surprise:

The test target was 50 feet at an indoor range with crappy fluorescent lighting, a dancing target on a wire ...oh, and a rear sight that wasn't screwed into the frame...

SO accuracy was pretty good all things considered.

I didn't get a chance to test at 50 yards as our Hogue Range is closed to shooting on Tuesdays (date the gun was finished and shipped). But I think it will keep the shots well within the X-ring from prone. If I had to guess, my gut tells me it would do better than 2" at fifty.

I have another one to do, so I'll let you know.

Back to the grind...

Looks fantastic Randy, but then again all your work is flawless.

Good that it is for USPSA. It's not legal for ICORE in Liminted because it must be a stock barrel from the OEM. I wish someone would suggest a rule change for us.

Looks fantastic Randy, but then again all your work is flawless.

Good that it is for USPSA. It's not legal for ICORE in Liminted because it must be a stock barrel from the OEM. I wish someone would suggest a rule change for us.

I hear you Steve, maybe one day?

Thanks for the kind words- although one day I'll post my flawed stuff just to scare people...

Randy,

Nice work. Tried PM'ing you for some work on a 608 that I was going to get, but decided to go with S&W. Looking for an ICORE Open revolver. Any suggestions? How 'bout a 8-10 shot 9mm?

Rich

Hi Rich,

There have been rumors that Smith has the 9mm in the works, but they're only rumors until I get to see one...

On a brighter note, I was told Smith is now making the 627 as a standard production gun instead of a Performance Center only item- and it will sell for less than the PC counterpart- also rumor until I can get one...

Edited by Randy Lee

I am a huge fan of grooved triggers, but skateboard tape??? Can anybody really manage that DA without turning into a bloody mess? I presume this "modification" means there really is no way to install narrow grooves into the MIM trigger. Or am I wrong?

At first glance I thought this was a two piece barrel/shroud assembly. It looks like a tremendous amount of work went into this. Old school craftsmanship with the modern styling is really nice. How much do you charge for a custom barrel like this? If I could have a 4" traditional heavy lug barrel for my 8 shot Super I could really get excited about shooting Revolver again.

Dave Sinko

On a brighter note, I was told Smith is now making the 627 as a standard production gun instead of a Performance Center only item- and it will sell for less than the PC counterpart- also rumor until I can get one...

627 PRO #178014

First shipments were at the end of October.

I am a huge fan of grooved triggers, but skateboard tape??? Can anybody really manage that DA without turning into a bloody mess? I presume this "modification" means there really is no way to install narrow grooves into the MIM trigger. Or am I wrong?

At first glance I thought this was a two piece barrel/shroud assembly. It looks like a tremendous amount of work went into this. Old school craftsmanship with the modern styling is really nice. How much do you charge for a custom barrel like this? If I could have a 4" traditional heavy lug barrel for my 8 shot Super I could really get excited about shooting Revolver again.

Dave Sinko

I did it with my trust Dremel, Dr. Dremel ain't the only one to carve up guns!

I took 2 cut off blades and put a small spacer between them. Did one side then the other for a 4 groove trigger with a flared look to the grooves. Don't know as if it helps much, but it's there.

Now if you had access to a milling machine you could probably recreate the factory look.

Interesting:

Some like slick grips, grooved triggers, JM

Some like sticky grips, smooth triggers, MC

I've shot slick grips, smooth triggers <_<

and sticky grips, grooved triggers :unsure:

My take, if you like it then it's the best.

I haven't been able to say one works better for me than any other.

I can't even decide which I like best, might have to try the grip tape thing now that I've seen it.

Interesting:

Some like slick grips, grooved triggers, JM

Some like sticky grips, smooth triggers, MC

I've shot slick grips, smooth triggers <_<

and sticky grips, grooved triggers :unsure:

My take, if you like it then it's the best.

I haven't been able to say one works better for me than any other.

I can't even decide which I like best, might have to try the grip tape thing now that I've seen it.

So true pskys2 :devil: It's whatever you like and whatever will get you out shooting.

So what is that stuff on the trigger ??

Grip tape like the sandpaper stuff or rubbery grip tape like the stair-tread stuff ?