Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching between divisions during off season: right or wrong ?

Stefano

I woul like to ask this question to the better experienced shooters ...

During off-season, just to have a "break" and a little more fun before the re-start of the next season, it could be a good thing (or not) to switch for a while to another division ?

As example, an Open shooter that shoots for 2/3 months in Production and vice-versa ?

It's critical to mantain the same kind of sights (iron vs/ red dot) or it could be interesting to make a change ??

My (very-short) experience:

I am a Production shooter and last sunday I've tried for the first time in my life an Open gun (shooting with is for the whole day): great experience, good feeling and a lot of fun ! :cheers:

At the end of the day, just before leaving the range, I've re-holstered my usual production gun and I've fired 2/3 mags with it:

well, the feeling was something of strange (and nice to have ...) and difficult to explain .....

I felt like I was much more confident with my usual gun, and I felt more feeling with it as usual !

It seems that the temporary (little) switch I've done was almost positive for my shooting !

Has anybody ever experienced something like this ?

Edited by Stefano

Changing guns can force focus. We sometimes loose focus when we get really used to a gun and its timing. I like to change ammo, sights, and sometimes guns to force focus occasionally. Sometimes you rediscover some fun and challenging things about the game that you have taken for granted too.

Changing guns can force focus. We sometimes loose focus when we get really used to a gun and its timing. I like to change ammo, sights, and sometimes guns to force focus occasionally. Sometimes you rediscover some fun and challenging things about the game that you have taken for granted too.

Yeah, it's EXACTLY a matter about FOCUS !

Thanks for help me to identify this (sorry for my bad english, but sometimes it's difficult for me to express in the correct way my feelings ... :rolleyes: ).

I liken this to being able to have a general "range day"with all of my different firearms so as to break up the monotony of training, training, training.. It's nice to have fun with something different now and then. I took a newbie to the range the other day and it was nice to have no expectations other than introduce my friend to the fun that shooting is. It was a bit of a relief for me to do something other than work on something specific for a change. I'm even thinking about trying to find a long range pistol sillouette club to try that again.. It's been a few years since I did that..

Edited by sargenv

Certainly if you can keep the same kind of sights it's not only fun, but can be a learning tool as well.

I shot Open this Spring for about 4 major matches, then switched to Limited for the remainder of the year (6 majors) and it was a struggle at first, but I gained skill in iron sights very quickly. This winter I plan to shoot some Production, then SIngle Stack next season ...... keeping it in the iron sight family. :)

I don't think you should restrict yourself to the same kinds of sights at all. Everyone will be different, but if you shoot an Open gun and then pick up a Limited gun it's amazing how slow and soft shooting the Limited gun seems. Open guns make everything happen in hyper-drive and if you can see that fast, it makes it easier to shoot an iron sighted gun where things happen noticably slower.

Yeah, I just switched to playing around in Production after a long time of being serious about Open. That was starting to get to be like work, so I decided to hit a division I know I'm not very competitive in and just hang out for a while. If you try to be serious about both I find it doesn't help the need to take a break every so often.

I've shot 6 different guns/divisions at bigger match this season and I'm shooting better than I have in awhile. Would I being doing better, if I stuck with one gun, maybe, would I be having as much fun, no. :)

Do what your gut tells you and have fun.

One of the best and most fun matches I had this year was when I shot single stack and just didn't care about the outcome I was just shooting to have fun and that I did! We can sometimes get to caught up in the "must make master" or what ever it is your striving for and we forget what we started this game for was to just have a good time and do what we enjoy...shooting!

At least in USPSA (not as much in IPSC) Production shooters can play around with the same gun in Limited minor with +6 Arredondo basepads or Open with +11 Taylor Freelance extensions.

Always something to be learned ;)

I don't think you should restrict yourself to the same kinds of sights at all. Everyone will be different, but if you shoot an Open gun and then pick up a Limited gun it's amazing how slow and soft shooting the Limited gun seems. Open guns make everything happen in hyper-drive and if you can see that fast, it makes it easier to shoot an iron sighted gun where things happen noticably slower.

Yeah, totally agree with this !

I've felt me too exactly this kind of feeling ! !

My only "fear" about shooting open is to get the habit to the red dot, loosing that one to the iron sights ....

• 2 weeks later...

when i got my open gun i promised myself this will be the only thing that i will shoot matches with...Fast forward 4.5 weeks i got my limited gun and have been shooting it more than my Open gun.... :blink: .... but i do have more fun shooting both divisions and am in the process of starting Production as well :cheers:

I have one or more pistols set up for every IDPA/USPSA division (other than open) and they all have nearly identical sights (rear and front). As a Super Senior shooter with catarats.. this helps me a great deal when I change guns.

Secondly I take 2 months a year off shooting and when I return each year I generally start in a new division/clasification ..... then I stick with that gun all season. Last year it was a 625 Revolver the prior year SS..the year before that it was a S & W 66 with speed loaders...etc.

For me... switching back and forth during the season causes lots of problems for me. Maybe I'm not a good enough shooter to overcome the differences... but I know jumping from my G-34 to my revolver and then to my 1911 is a guranteed way to end up at the bottom of the scoring list at the end of every match.

Edited by MichiganShootist

when i got my open gun i promised myself this will be the only thing that i will shoot matches with...Fast forward 4.5 weeks i got my limited gun and have been shooting it more than my Open gun.... :blink: .... but i do have more fun shooting both divisions and am in the process of starting Production as well :cheers:

I think a lot of the regular lim and open shooters are starting to figure out that production is a different and fun form of the same game. At least at the matches I've been going to, the number of production division shooters just grow and grow. It's funnier than hell when an open shooter shoots his first production match, "I have to reload how many times this stage?"

Edited by SA Friday