Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying Slide Stop on Open Gun

cave_canem

I have heard that alot of the open shooters will modify a slide stop so that it does not lock open the slide. Is this true? And if so, why?

Limited folks do it also. Or modify the mag follower so it doesn't engage the slidestop. I just use the Dawson Follower that does the trick as well.

As for why, just so it doesn't engage the slide stop before it is designed too. There have been instances were the 2011 mag will engage the slidestop with 1 or 2 rounds still in the mag. In limited or open you should not be shooting to slide lock anyway, as you should have ample opertunities to reload before you have fired 19 or more rounds.

Edited by North

I set up my guns so that they WILL NOT lock back without a solid push up on the slide stop with the slide held back. Both Limited and Open. They won't lock back at all when being shot, and that ensures that they won't lock back with ammo left in the mag. If I shot L10 much I would probably set up a few mags and a slide stop that locks back on empty, just because in L10 you might someday find a stage that presents an advantage to shoot the gun dry. In the high cap classes that isn't going to happen and if it does it will be VERY VERY rare. Grind the slide stop down on an Open gun, if it goes empty you have screwed up plenty bad and the slide locked back isn't going to help.

I set up my guns so that they WILL NOT lock back without a solid push up on the slide stop with the slide held back. Both Limited and Open. They won't lock back at all when being shot, and that ensures that they won't lock back with ammo left in the mag. If I shot L10 much I would probably set up a few mags and a slide stop that locks back on empty, just because in L10 you might someday find a stage that presents an advantage to shoot the gun dry. In the high cap classes that isn't going to happen and if it does it will be VERY VERY rare. Grind the slide stop down on an Open gun, if it goes empty you have screwed up plenty bad and the slide locked back isn't going to help.

+1

My Limited guns get set up to not lock the slide back. If I run it dry, I should know by round count..... and not to mention, slamming fresh mags into a gun with a locked back slide is a sure fire way to break your extended ejector (or on singlestacks, jam a 10 round mag up into ejection port area, and jam the gun open). Seen both, and they are both self critiquing in a match.

<_< The first trick is to file off the lip on the mag with the wide bodys = yes that lip comes up and hits the slide lock with a round still in the mag. The second and worst problem is the "Bullet" loaded long will bump the slide lock on with 1/2 a mag. :angry: I think that is much worst and for that I files and shaped / curved the slide lock. With the slide off the gun you can set the slide lock in the gun and put a loaded mag in the grip frame. with that you can see how close the bullets come to the slide stope. next thing is put in a mag with just two rounds in and thing just one round.

After that test its hard not to think about modifying it. Benny did my gun so that it will still work with a standad mag follower but it still misses the all the loaded rounds.

JF

All Dawson guns will reliably lock the slide afer the last round is fired and not before. It is quicker to recharge a gun in that condition than with the hammer down.

My Dawson Signature has the slide stop pinned so that it will never engage. You should never reload to an open slide.

CDB, I grind it down so that it can't contact the magazine, ammo or the follower and then I dimple it so that it is hard to move up manually also.

The Brazos article linked above is as good a tutorial as there is.

Could someone answer a question that has bothered me for some time now reqarding this subject? I was told never to drop the slide without it stripping off a bullet...this destroys a good trigger job. Guess the bullet allows some sort of a cushioning effect. When I practice, many times I load either 3 bullets or 5, and run the gun dry (slide is locked backed). It's easier for me to check to see what I've done, rather than to remove a partially loaded mag and rack out the bullet in the chamber.

Seems that somewhere I was told that if the trigger is still back when the slide is released, it won't hurt the gun or the trigger job. Is this correct?

Any comments would be appreciated....Hank

I owned many SVI and STI open and limited pistols from 1994 till now. None would consistently lock the slide back on an open chamber. The problem has always been based on inconsistent geometry with the plastic followers and the upper mag tube area. While some will say they don't the slide to lock open because one should never go empty on an IPSC stage, I shoot other sports besides IPSC as well as use pistols for concealed carry. I want them to function as designed.