Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unexpected Houseguest

Micah

At the end of my wife's teaching day, she has bus duty...which simply means that she joins her students as they hop on their respective buses. Today, there was a little doggie that joined the exodus. Nobody knew who he was. After she questioned everyone, including the neighboring homes, no one reported a missing dog.

The Clinton County Humane Society was closed by the time that she swung by, dog in arms.

So after a flee treatment, two baths, and plenty of food, water, and love, our house guest who I named Samson, will be staying overnight. We will be taking him back to the Humane Society tomorrow where hopefully his family will be reunited with their missing loved one...

...but for tonight, we are happy to add one more to our family :)

DSCN1426.jpg

DSCN1427.jpg

DSCN1428.jpg

Keep him. You wont regret it :P I was leaving my monthly match and came up on a dog that I was sure was dead in the road, but I did not want to run over it again so I slowed to go around the carcass and guess what, the carcass moved. It was a 20 lb terrier and yorkie mix that was favoring its left rear and had a badly bloodshot eye. So now I pick it up to take it to the pet emergency room where they try to find homes if the animals is salvagable. I call my wife to let her know so she can help hold the dog.. it was still very shaken up and somewhat bewildered. After my wife gets in the vehicle with me and holds the dog for 10 minutes its ours as she wouldnt let the hospital keep it. They took xrays and said that she was just a little bruised and battered, evidently she was straddled by the car that hit her and not run over by any of the tires, but she had been shot at some time as she still had shot in her back. Well that was 3 yrs ago and that little devil is the source of much enjoyment around the house. She absolutely loves my wife and follows her wherever she goes in the house. I dont know if it realizes how close to death it was but sometimes fate just puts the animal with the proper person. She is the best alarm system our house has ever had as you cannot walk around our house and she not know it, even with the windows up and tv's playing, she just knows. So maybe this is a sign that you guys and this grateful dog are meant for each other. Neuter the guy and show him you care and he'll pay you back with loyalty.

After trying a dozen things to get Samson situated so the wife and I can watch the Steelers game, it is abundantly clear that our guest is incapable of being left alone without panicking. We sit next to him, and he curls up and sleeps.

It's gonna be a long night...and we're gonna have to bomb the house tomorrow...but it's worth it ;)

Let me break this down <_<

No collar or tags

Dirty with fleas

Hungry <_<

Seems he is much better off where he is now :cheers:

Jim :)

Add to that 'beagle', and 'found wandering in southern OH during hunting season'. I suspect the owner isn't looking for this guy.

Call the vet, get Capstar (quick flea kill) and Revolution (fleas, ticks, heartworm, etc). Move the cuddler bed to your room so you all get some rest tonight.

Abandoned hounds can evolve into marvelous, loving, house pets (I have several). Give it time, patience, compassion. Good luck!

Flea treatments, 2 baths, food and drink........ sounds like some of my dates. YALL GOT A BETTER DEAL!! :cheers:

Hell, Mark - that describes your GOOD dates!!!! :lol:

PB, have fun with the new pet - sounds to me like the previous owners didn't want the dog too much; and it looks to me like Samson's found a good home.

Take it from one who knows where you are that you should just keep him and be happy with your new companion. You won't likely regret it.

Put him in your room and be happy that you're doing a good deed. Trust takes some time, as I've figured out with our big white new companion. It's been just a week that we've had her back from the SPCA and she's already a member of the family, period.

Besides, if I've been overruled on keeping the new bark machine, so too can you be...I know I'm happy I was overruled.

(plus there's likely a favor to be named later if I play my cards right)

This time of year ? I agree most likely a dog that wont hunt.or hunts the wrong thing and the owner simply left him. Kinda a shame. He's is used to a pack, hence the panick when left alone. Actually quite common this time of year in rural areas. With no collar and tags though probably not being looked for,

People who abandon dogs suck and I can't think of a punishment that's equal to the crime. I could never, ever be an animal cop....

That brings up an interesting hypothesis that I ran a study on during my senior year:

A vast majority of people feel more anxiety over seeing dogs and cats being injured than a human. My data showed significants in this using movie clips showing both types of violence to my subjects. The reasoning behind it is that we see an infinitely larger amount of human violence in the media (news, movies, television) but it is less commonplace to see said violence acted out on animals in the pet category. We simply are not desensitized to that type of visual and auditory input.

Urg...so spending the night on the couch with Samson wasn't too bad...he slept like an angel laying right next to me.

Hope you decide to keep the little pooch.

Well, I just got a call from my vet, who works closely with the Humane Society in the area where Samson was found...

...apparently this little guy has been missing from his family for a few days now. I'm heading back to Wilmington in 30 minutes or so to reunite him with his real family.

Mixed emotions on this one folks...mixed emotions.

Gonna miss the noisy little bastard.

Tough one but you did the right thing and should be happy that you played a part in reuniting a pet with their family.

Maybe another little face will get your attention at the Humane Society?

I was really surprised how many abandoned animals there are when I adopted our white beast. Huge number of pit bulls and other dogs (older, failing health) there are to be adopted. I have to give kudos to the volunteers who come in and take care of these animals with a great deal of compassion. It's really a labor of love for these folks.

That's good stuff, Micah. That karma will come back to you and your wife ;)

+10

I think I would have a couple of questions before I gave him back... like were was his collar and tags? You don't pick up that many flees without being outside for a good deal of time or have been neglected. :(

Let us know what kind of vibe you got from the owner.....

Edited by JThompson

I think I would have a couple of questions before I gave him back... like were was his collar and tags? You don't pick up that many flees without being outside for a good deal of time or have been neglected. :(

I'd be careful being real harsh in that regard... My dogs hang out around the house w/o collars on, and if one ran out and took off, I might regret it (they listen well, though, and don't go scrambling for the door, so...). It took one day in Dallas for all three to end up with fleas - depending on your area, a few days outside is more than enough to get infested, especially if they've been laying around in strange underbrush, etc....

I'd hope the family is going to be a little more careful in the future, though... <_<

I'd be careful being real harsh in that regard... My dogs hang out around the house w/o collars on, and if one ran out and took off, I might regret it (they listen well, though, and don't go scrambling for the door, so...). It took one day in Dallas for all three to end up with fleas - depending on your area, a few days outside is more than enough to get infested, especially if they've been laying around in strange underbrush, etc....

I'd hope the family is going to be a little more careful in the future, though... <_<

Well get some collars on your dogs Dave... better yet, get the chip implant. ;)

... better yet, get the chip implant. ;)

Absolutely!

The chip is permanent ID independent of collar, tags, tattoo. Most animal welfare agencies & municipal animal control facilities now have scanners.

The peace of mind is worth the cost.