Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chronograph 'mandatory' for Reloading? (the untold story)

condoor

So it would seem to me, the newb having never reloaded anything in his life (but having a 650 mounted on work bench in varrying stages of assembly the past week) that a chronograph is indeed a mandatory piece of reloading equipment. - especially if you are loading for IPSC.

Everything I've read regarding load data talks about 'working your load up', or starting slow and building up, etc. It seems that if your goal is to make a load that has a certain power factor (130) out of your particular gun that you'll need to chrono the varrying stages of 'working up the load' so you end up where you want. Or am I missing something. Is a chrono mandatory?

So it would seem to me, the newb having never reloaded anything in his life (but having a 650 mounted on work bench in varrying stages of assembly the past week) that a chronograph is indeed a mandatory piece of reloading equipment. - especially if you are loading for IPSC.

Everything I've read regarding load data talks about 'working your load up', or starting slow and building up, etc. It seems that if your goal is to make a load that has a certain power factor (130) out of your particular gun that you'll need to chrono the varrying stages of 'working up the load' so you end up where you want. Or am I missing something. Is a chrono mandatory?

If you are shooting IPSC then yes a chronograph to use or borrow is must to load and measure for PWf. I think it is a very very good recommendation even if you aren't shooting ipsc and just plinking.

I'm a believer that owning or at least having access to a chrono is an extension of your reloading press. Even if I didn't shoot IPSC and could care less about PF I would still chrono. If you don't chrono you really don't know what you cooked up.

Yeah, all these nickel and dime items after the press are killing me. I'm sure once I get setup and actually start loading it won't be that big of a deal, but it seems like everytime I turn around I'm having to buy something else.

Reinforce bench

More storage bins

more lights around bench

tumbler/media

chrono

timer

reloading books

5 billion hours researching powders and loads... :blink:

Yeah, all these nickel and dime items after the press are killing me. I'm sure once I get setup and actually start loading it won't be that big of a deal, but it seems like everytime I turn around I'm having to buy something else.

Reinforce bench

More storage bins

more lights around bench

tumbler/media

chrono

timer

reloading books

5 billion hours researching powders and loads... :blink:

I am in the same boat as you. Got the press and dies all set up a few weeks ago and have been slowly trying to buy all the other odds and ends. I have been old once you get up and running it wont be too bad but the credit card has been pretty hot lately :unsure:

Talk to Brian before you buy. I bought my 550 from him years ago and he is very good about answering your questions and steering you the right way. In competition, you are FINE-TUNING your loads. It requires more than the bare-bones. When you first start, you can either get guidance from an experienced reloader, or learn it by yourself the harder way.

Reloading is not rocket science, if it were, most of us would be buying factory loads.

Most powder manufacturers have a pamphlet with the loading data for their particular powders. They are free at you reloading store or can be ordered through the mail. Check on line and most have a site with information and load data.

The data in the pamphlets and reloading manuals will get you close, but you will need to fine tune your loads for your gun to meet the power factor in a match. If you are not shooting in matches, then find you a nice light load that is accurate and enjoy.

As far as the chronograph is concerned; most folks you will meet, that own a chronograph, will be happy to help you check your loads.

Good luck,

Buddy

Absolutely a must have. Any change in components, gun, weather, etc will change your readings. That is why virtually all IPSC shooters have a cushion built in their ammo's PF. Me personally I always want a minimum of 169+ to meet the major PF minimum af 165. Ran the exact same ammo at all major matches this year and chrono'd different every time. Good luck, you'll actually get to enjoy reloading once you get comfortable. Don't hesitate to ask for help from an experienced reloader, will save time, money, and mistakes in the future!

I was lucky to have people that were more than willing to show me the ropes of reloading and that had a chrono that I could make use of. I load .45 Colt for single action shooting, IDPA, and IPSC so I had to have several different loads worked up. Add to that I use a revolver in IDPA & IPSC that only has a 2 1/2" barrel (most published .45 Colt loads use a 7 1/2" barrel), so that added a bit of a challenge. I was able to work up one load for single action shooting and one for IDPA & IPSC. I usually work up about 10 rounds of 5 different loads, and get one of my fellow shooters to chrono them at the range with me. We fire 5 round groups to get a good average for each load in the two revolvers I use. I use the same load and components from the test load that I like the best.

Even then things happen. I went to a match with reloads that I expected to be around 165-170PF, and found them to be averaging 185PF. :surprise: Apparently I seated the bullets a little deeper than I had with the reloads that I had fired through the chrono (1.585" instead of 1.600" overall length) :o . Everything else was the same on the reloads when I checked some of them from the same batch afterwards. Small things can make a difference. It did not cause a problem at the match (although it did raise some eyebrows :lol: ), but was not what I had intended the loads to be.

Snip

Even then things happen. I went to a match with reloads that I expected to be around 165-170PF, and found them to be averaging 185PF. :surprise: Apparently I seated the bullets a little deeper than I had with the reloads that I had fired through the chrono (1.585" instead of 1.600" overall length) :o . Everything else was the same on the reloads when I checked some of them from the same batch afterwards. Small things can make a difference. It did not cause a problem at the match (although it did raise some eyebrows :lol: ), but was not what I had intended the loads to be.

I worked the chrono stage at the Western PA Sectionals. Highest PF for the weekend came from a 45 load that clocked in at 205 PF. :surprise: Didn't bother the shooter at all. He said that's what he and the the gun likes. Different strokes for different folks I guess. :blink:

I worked the chrono stage at the Western PA Sectionals. Highest PF for the weekend came from a 45 load that clocked in at 205 PF. :surprise: Didn't bother the shooter at all. He said that's what he and the the gun likes. Different strokes for different folks I guess. :blink:

I was at an indoor range one day shooting my 1911 and this guy came over and said are you shooting .45? Here take this ammo, it's giving me blisters. He gave a box (40 out of 50) of Double Tap ammunition, .45acp 230gr 1010fps. 232PF. :surprise:

I've been handloading for 15 years and have had a chronograph nearly that whole time. I can't imagine loading without it, but someone I work with asked me why I had a chrono and I had a hard time answering him.

For me, I like to know exactly what my loads are doing and what effect temperature has on them. You can make perfectly functional ammo without one, though. If you are competing and must make PF, I think you'd have to have one, but for a non-competitive shooter it is a luxury.

I like the suggestions above to find a buddy with one. My shooting partner has some tools (Glock sight tool, etc) that I don't want to buy but like to have available; my chronograph is always available to him. It works out.

Allan

Yeah, all these nickel and dime items after the press are killing me.

If these items were only nickel and dime items. For me it is usually More Dollars, More Bigger Dollars, or Lots of Bigger Dollars.

Get yourself one - you will do it sooner or later if you play this game. I would suggest if you can afford it you get a good one. I am sure your experienced shooting buddies can point you in the right direction.

• 3 months later...

I bought a used STI Open gun in 38 Super. Loaded the exact load the seller quoted me except for OAL. He said he used 1.285 and I didn't see how that would fit in the mags. So I used 1.235. He said the PF was 168 and I got 160. I chronographed three ten shot strings. I don't understand why?? Anyone have an opinion?

I bought a used STI Open gun in 38 Super. Loaded the exact load the seller quoted me except for OAL. He said he used 1.285 and I didn't see how that would fit in the mags. So I used 1.235. He said the PF was 168 and I got 160. I chronographed three ten shot strings. I don't understand why?? Anyone have an opinion?

Location of seller/buyer could have a temperture affect on powder.

Seller may have not chrono'd his rounds in awhile.

Seller gave load for new gun.

Scales not zero'd correctly.

Are you using the EXACT same bullet?

Your exact question is a fine example of "start low and work your way up", what if was 200 :surprise: instead of 160 and damaged your gun or yourself?

Your PF "should" have gone up. Something is not exactly the same. Unless you have the same lot of powder and primers as the sell and live in the same part of the country, you don't have the "exact load" that the seller quoted. Lot to lot in powder or primers can swing 4 PF. Add the two and you have your 8PF deficiency. As mentioned, your fortunate that it didn't go to 200 or worse. I only trust very close friends for load data. I'd back any other load down by 10% and work back up. Be careful shortening the OAL without backing down the load.

Good luck