Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sports...

EricW

You know how I deal with professional sports?

By not dealing with it at all. Don't watch it, listen to it, nor read about it. And if all the people who are all bent out of shape over the state of professional sports did the same, there wouldn't be a problem to bitch about.

Thanks for listening.

The End.

Eric, +10

I sit at work and listen to guys constantly bitch about pay/play/contracts/performance/criminal activity etc.etc.etc. yet they still watch. I started losing interest 8-10 years ago when it was becoming very difficult to be a fan (trades, disputes, etc.) and by now I have no problem at all missing entire seasons.

Thanks. I simply can't understand the fascination with something where you cannot effect an outcome, nor are you affected by the outcome in any way except for ensuing celebratory riot.

And did I mention that all sports rioters should be shot?

Edited by EricW

I see folks post on such matters.....If I dont have an interest it them..I just read other stuff :)

Shooting is my one true love as far as sports go...but it has no negative impact on us if folks talk about other things :)

And just to mess with the mind :blink: ...I dont have a problem with people complaining about it either :cheers:

Jim B)

Can't speak for anyone else but pro sports serve a very important function in my life. You see, I have taken all the us against them, my school is better than your school, my system is better than your system, my way is better than your way, my country is better than your country, my car is better than your car, my Division is better than your Division bs and projected it all on the Green Bay Packers. Saves me a lot of time.

:cheers:

Yeah, I have never really understood the obsession with pro sports. I used to work with a bunch of guys who could quote obscure statistics from just about any pro sport yet did not know their own wife's birthday.

I am particularly worried right now because the local pro football team is having a pretty good start to their season and I hate living here when they go to the playoffs or, God forbid, win the Superbowl. All of the fairweather fans come out of the woodwork and get pretty obnoxious. On the flip side, the best time ever to go grocery shopping is during the Superbowl. NO ONE else in the store.

You know how I deal with professional sports?

By not dealing with it at all. Don't watch it, listen to it, nor read about it. And if all the people who are all bent out of shape over the state of professional sports did the same, there wouldn't be a problem to bitch about.

You are preaching to the choir here! A friend and I would always talk about what we would do if we were dictator for a decade. The first proclamation would be to do away with pro sports. If half the unwashed public were forced to pay attention to civic matters rather than pro sports, perhaps things society would be better off.

Thanks. I simply can't understand the fascination with something where you cannot effect an outcome, nor are you affected by the outcome in any way except for ensuing celebratory riot.

Thanks for that, bud. I've felt like a Malien my whole adult life cuz I don't really give a toss about it...Nice to know I'm not the only one. Now, throw in some adult bevs and teach me a funny cheer/dance/arm pounding move...I am so there!

:)

SA

I simply can't understand the fascination with something where you cannot effect an outcome, nor are you affected by the outcome in any way except for ensuing celebratory riot.
Nice quote.

What gets me is how we (taxpayers) build multimillion dollar football stadiums for teenagers, who have a zero chance of ever making a dime playing the game. And I'm talking high school football. Whenever I mention that, I hear about "getting kids out to exercise" and such. Buy a tradmill. Jump rope. Run around the block.

I have nothing against any of these sports, but man, the money we put into it is crazy.

After the 'slightly lesser of 2 evils (the Yanks being the first) Red Sox' won the ALCS, I've vowed never to stay up late or pay attention to anyting except the MN Twins. Class orginization, at least on the face of it.

I have to count myself amongst the lucky few that have never been bit by the sports bug.

I suppose I could care less about games played by multi-millionaire druggies but I am not sure how.

Back when I used sail, I was always thankful that so many people stayed home on beautiful days to watch "The Game". Made for a lot more room to sail my boat.

Not much different with shooting. If all our club members came out on Sunday to shoot, we'd have a waiting line. Nince to think about for a bit, but so long as they pay dues and don't use the ranges they build for us, I am OK with it.

Jim

Eric, I'm definitely w/ you on this one ;)

That said, I do enjoy watching sports - I probably find football most interesting, when the teams give a crap about what they're doing, and are playing hard. But, I won't pay to go to a pro game (I'm not opposed to free tickets, of course...).

I've found a lot more interest in checking out the local high school games, and, believe it or not, little league baseball (had a few photo gigs for a friend shooting his son's teams over the past years). You know, where they have fun and don't whine about how they can only make $100K a year or something....

What gets me is how we (taxpayers) build multimillion dollar football stadiums for teenagers, who have a zero chance of ever making a dime playing the game.

I was laughing pretty hard at Dale's post until I read this. :lol:

Don't even get me started on corporate welfare as applied to sports... :angry:

Interesting thread.

I lost interest in sports years ago for a number of reasons. I could have cared less who won what or who did what.

Over the last year or so , I have gotten so disgusted with politics and the back and forth arguments where nothing ever gets solved, that I started following sports again. Following sports ( particalarly baseball and basketball) again has brought some fun back in my life. I just don't pay attention to what atheletes do off the field, only follow the game itself.

So, I guess my disgust with politics brought the game back to me and life is good. <_<

Not a rebuttal at all, just my own musings on Erics post.

The local sports obscenity is the salivating facscination with the Univ. of Oregon Ducks. :rolleyes: Criminy, it might as WELL be NFL level stuff the way they go on about it. We've put literally millions and millions of dollars into the renovation of Autzen Stadium (Eugene, Oregon) (capacity approx 60K), thousands upon thousands for a constant stream of new uniforms for the team, millions and more for sports buildings and first-class lounging areas for the football players, and the University of Oregon Bookstore is suddenly now called "The Duck Store." Criminy. And the academic end of things gets nothing but short shrift and tuition rises that pop your cork. And 'The Ducks' is just about all the locals can talk about here sometimes!!! (Although politics rears its intelligent and interesting head quite often in the Letters to the Editor, thankfully, so "Ducks" isn't the be-all-and-end-all for ALL of us). Hey!! There's actually life after The Ducks, you guys!!! But you'd never know it on game day..... or on any other day.

THe Physical Impact: With a stadium capacity of nearly 60,000 now, that means on game day about 1/3 of Eugene is NOT on the street; and if it's a televised game, the rest of us are at home watching it. Streets get really deserted here on a Saturday home game day.

And we've had our share of corruption and drugging and cheating. The Duxx are not immune.

And did I mention that all sports rioters should be shot?

I would vote for double knee capping followed by dominant elbow, but I'm just feeling generous and compassinate today.

I too have no use for pro sports. I was really worried when it looked like little old Wyoming was going to get a pro football team. Thank goodness the folks making that silly proposal were denied. The reason? If Wyoming got a pro football team Colorado would want one too.

I too have no use for pro sports. I was really worried when it looked like little old Wyoming was going to get a pro football team. Thank goodness the folks making that silly proposal were denied. The reason? If Wyoming got a pro football team Colorado would want one too.

lol... :goof::lol:

I guess I’m in the minority, as I enjoy some pro-sports to some extent. I mean I wouldn’t want to go to a game, buy memorabilia, ask for an autograph and cannot understand why some fans fawn over the stars of the games. But I do enjoy following some pro-sports from a distance.

I pretty much feel the same way about the shooting sports, but I have no problem with those who feel differently.

Respectfully,

jkelly

There was a great line from a movie (I think is was A Bronx Story). Anyway, the movie was set in the 50’s and the kid/main character is a huge Yankees and Joe DiMaggio fan.

The gangster - who the kids looks up to and respects – tells the kid:

“You love Joe DiMaggio? What for? DiMaggio doesn’t know or give a f**k about you.”

Very true. The only pro sport I really like now is MMA.