Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Keeps jumping out of my hand

Hey, I have another question in regards to shooting. I own a Springfield XD 45 tactical. The gun is nice, never experienced one jam or any failure but it seems to me the gun is kind of "top heavy" and it has a tendency to "jump" out of my hand. I don't have this problem with my 1911 or any handgun in .40S&W (I also have a XD 40 tactical), but it just seems I can't get a grip on the XD 45. I was considering perhaps I should invest in a pair of shooting gloves to see if that negates the problem because as hard as I clamp down on it, it just seems to "jump" and then I have to reaffirm my grip, something that is very bad to do from shot to shot as it causes much variation.

So the question is, am I holding it wrong? I hold it just as I would my 1911 or CZ pistols with the thumbs off to the side pointing straight, 40-60 grip strength on strong hand and supporting hand. Should I get a pair of fingerless shooting gloves (uscav.com) or simply trade it in? Thanks again gentlemen.

Top heavy? Probably. With the polymer guns, they all tend to be that way. However, gloves are definitely not the answer. Couple of things that you can try:

- Drop the recoil spring weight

- Get some add on grip tape (TRUGRIP ROCKS!!!)

- Hand dryer (like Pro grip) helps too.

After that, have a friend watch your gun under recoil and see if your technique is breaking down.

Rich

Grip tape is your friend. I bring it whenever I teach a class, just because it makes a huge difference. Yesterday I had a woman student that what shooting a little 9mm Kahr and they are slick and buck for a little pistol. Just a little piece where the palm of the left hand grips the frame and she was good to go for over 300 rounds.

Many thanks to everyone, I appreciate it. The thought of the grip tape hadn't really occurred to me and to be honest my concern was my delicate yet manly hands :rolleyes: I will make an order for the grip tape and report whether or not it had solved the problem. I'm sure it would help.

The reason why I mentioned the fingerless gloves is that I am in the military and some other personnel have used fingerless gloves before on deployments. The only time I have ever used any type of glove while firing a weapon was huge insulated gloves in the winter. I had once made the mistake and "temporarily" removed my glove to get a better grip on my rifle. Long story short, I thought I would loose my hand.

Nevertheless thanks for all the advice I greatly appreciate it. :cheers:

I have an service XD45ACP, I have tried never had that problem, love that pistol.

I first tried traction grips, basically skate tape in sand finish. I new use AGRIP completly different better comfortable grip.

Bought from www.brookstactical.com

Eric's grip tape is necessary and called for. That's solid.

I've always been keen on steel framed guns because of the weight distribution. So a .45 in a poly framed gun might be a challenge for me. That said, look at loads too. Different poweder/bullet combinations will change that "snappy/soft" feel.

I do prefer a snappy gun. I like a faster slide action so I prefer lighter bullets and faster powders. Perceived recoil is a tick higher but that's what I like. I shoot production (an XD so ligher frame w/ heavier slide) and I've tried heavier bullets with slower powders, just doesn't fit.

So tinker with the recoil spring, and your loads. Add in the grip tape and you'll find what you're looking for.

That's my $.02.

J

Edited by j1b

Erik's grip tape is necessary and called for. That's solid.

I've always been keen on steel framed guns because of the weight distribution. So a .45 in a poly framed gun might be a challenge for me. That said, look at loads too. Different powder/bullet combinations will change that "snappy/soft" feel.

I do prefer a snappy gun. I like a faster slide action so I prefer lighter bullets and faster powders. Perceived recoil is a tick higher but that's what I like. I shoot production (an XD so lighter frame w/ heavier slide) and I've tried heavier bullets with slower powders, just doesn't fit.

So tinker with the recoil spring, and your loads. Add in the grip tape and you'll find what you're looking for.

That's my $.02.

J

Thanks for the advice. I also prefer steel framed guns, the only two polymer pistols I own is a XD 45 tactical and a XD 40 tactical. The rest are either CZ or 1911 platforms. As for what you mentioned about the load, I was unaware of that. I do know that many people complain at the .40S&W is a "snappy" round but I prefer it and it seems to suit me just fine. The .45ACP seems more "snappy" to me as it has thing long "push". Perhaps its just my perspective but the recoil of the .40S&W happens so quickly and sharply that I just fail to even realize it.

The ammunition I use is usually whatever is on sale at Wally World. Usually I pick up a Remington 250round value box of .45ACP, .40S&W and 550LR for my plinker (and some CO2 cartridges to practice with air soft). The only other brand I use besides Remington is Winchester white box value packs. I have never really noticead a big difference between the two brands. Thanks for your advice :)

No disrespect to the folks who are selling grip tape...............but instead of using the all too common USPSA response of buying something to fix a problem, take a look at your grip....

Your strong hand should be providing about 40%+/- of your grip strength. The remainder should be coming from your support hand. Concentrate on pinching the BACK of your hands together as opposed to squeezing with your finger. Additionally, take a look at your support hand thumb; it should be parallel to the ground.

If you can't get a good look at your support hand, have a buddy take a peek at it.

Be very cautious if you are going to switch to a lighter recoil spring for that XD.

FY42385

No disrespect to the folks who are selling grip tape...............but instead of using the all too common USPSA response of buying something to fix a problem, take a look at your grip....

Your strong hand should be providing about 40%+/- of your grip strength. The remainder should be coming from your support hand. Concentrate on pinching the BACK of your hands together as opposed to squeezing with your finger. Additionally, take a look at your support hand thumb; it should be parallel to the ground.

If you can't get a good look at your support hand, have a buddy take a peek at it.

Be very cautious if you are going to switch to a lighter recoil spring for that XD.

FY42385

Thanks for the advice, I think the problem is the grip. I don't have this problem with my CZ or 1911 platforms. As for your comment regarding thumbs being parallel. I thought that was already proven to be a moot argument? Some people have their thumbs pointed straight (parellel to the group) some have them pointed up. In my experience neither "style" seemed to have any real advantages. As long as your thumb wasn't curled or coming down on the side of the pistol you should be grouping assuming your doing everything else right.

I am unaware of proper grip/thumb placement being proven to be "moot."

It is not a question of "style" but of function, and being able to control/drive the gun.

A .45 caliber, hicap frame gun should not be jumping out of your hand, unless you have really small hands or a medical condition.

Buying grip tape might help...for a little bit. Then an improper grip (if that's the case here) will manifest itself in some other problem.

FY42385

As far as why I think (like I am any sort of expert) that the XD 45 is a bit more difficult to control in recoil is that 1. Being a polymer gun it is top heavy. 2. The bore axis does seem to be higher than even the smaller caliber XDs and 3. Smooth plastic is not particullarly easy to hang on to. Just my thoughts. I have seen some XDs that have had a soldering iron taken to the plastic grip to stipple it. Seemed effective but not the most aesthetic look in the world to me at least.

As far as grip tape goes I am not sure if this is a range, home defense or carry gun but if you do carry it my .02 is to just put the tape on your non-dominant side of the grip. That is mainly where you are "holding" the gun anyways and tape on the strong hand side seems to catch a lot on shirts making the gun print and also difficult to get to quickly.

I guess I just have a bad grip even though it matches the Todd Jarrett video because I use grip tape on the 1911 full size & Officer model, Para, Glock 21 open, XD9, XD45 service & compact & a 22/45.

If someone wants to come to Montana & give me instructions on how to do it better I will provide the ammo as long as it is 230 gr 45ACP.

I am unaware of proper grip/thumb placement being proven to be "moot."

It is not a question of "style" but of function, and being able to control/drive the gun.

A .45 caliber, hicap frame gun should not be jumping out of your hand, unless you have really small hands or a medical condition.

Buying grip tape might help...for a little bit. Then an improper grip (if that's the case here) will manifest itself in some other problem.

FY42385

No, I think you misunderstand me. I am referring to the point being moot as to whether to place your thumb "high" or "straight". The position of the thumbs is very important, I was just splitting hairs when I said it was "moot" in regards to the thumbs positioning. I think you and I agree on the same thing. I'm not advocating "curling" the thumb or placing it under the strong hand.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archiv...php?t-2973.html

That discussion is pretty much what I am referring to. When I shoot my 1911 I rest my thumb on the safety. The difference is some people rest it on the safety and point it up a bit (naturally as some people's thumbs just aren't naturally straight at the joint) or some people just make it straight anyways (either because they're thumb (at the joint) is naturally straight or they just force it to go straight) It really doesn't matter assuming the first joint of your thumb IS STRAIGHT, the second joint doesn't matter too much. Like I said, I am splitting hairs and I think we are talking about the same thing.

I looked at that link you posted; certainly seemed to be lots of different preferences from that group!

I guess my input would be that by placing your thumbs forward, you insure (or at least make it more likely) that your support hand is in the best position that it can be to minimize/control recoil.

It does indeed appear that we are on the same page on this.

My experience has been that the importance of the support hand is usually underrated.

Maybe you can find someone locally (someone who, ideally, is both a shooter and a legitimate instructor) to hash this over with; the firing line stuff is from 2000, and internet forums in general can be a case of garbage in/garbage out.

FY42385

My experience has been that the importance of the support hand is usually underrated.

Maybe you can find someone locally (someone who, ideally, is both a shooter and a legitimate instructor) to hash this over with; the firing line stuff is from 2000, and internet forums in general can be a case of garbage in/garbage out.

FY42385

+1

I looked at that link you posted; certainly seemed to be lots of different preferences from that group!

I guess my input would be that by placing your thumbs forward, you insure (or at least make it more likely) that your support hand is in the best position that it can be to minimize/control recoil.

It does indeed appear that we are on the same page on this.

FY42385

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize it was from 2000, I just did a google search on "1911 thumb position" to help explain myself. You know I never really did understand the importance of the support hand. I've heard people say 60/40, and the support hand is extremely important. However I wasn't taught in a conventional manner. As the saying goes, "There is the right way, the wrong way, and the military way". Most military manuals stress shooting with one-hand as opposed to two. So I've always been taught to "grip the living daylights out of it" so your other fingers can't reflex when you pull the trigger. The end result, not surprisingly, I shoot better with one hand than with both but I have no "endurance" if you could call it that. I will take your advice and seek out some better instruction and literature on the benefits of using a proper two handed stance. Thanks for the advice :cheers: