Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR9

Middle Man

New gun, revealed today:

http://www.downrange.tv/ruger/index.htm

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR9/

The first 2000 of these guns were sold to wholesale (and then sold on drop shipments to dealers) sight unseen with virtually no description other than polymer 9mm high cap. In a paradigm change for the gun industry, you will see these guns on 500 dealers shelves today, October 18th. Normally a new gun is introduced and no one sees them for months upon months, so kudos to Ruger.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the factory to see it before it was unveiled. There is one on a truck, circling the block as I type this.

It is ergonomic, reliable, accurate and slim in the hands. It has an MSRP of $525 (vs. $669 for a G-17) and I think Ruger is going to sell truckloads of them.

17-round magazines made by Mec-Gar, sturdy as all get-out.

And a thumb safety!

The huge "beavertail" portion of the grip and the very low position of the slide give me the idea that this is a very flat shooting gun.

I like it!

I hope it will be on the IPSC approved PD gun list soon.

Edited by spook

So we got a sample gun to look at off the FEDEX truck. Nice and slim frame. Ambi mag release and ambi safety. The safeties are small, up and more to the rear which makes it awkward/difficult to work with your strong hand. Overall, it is an impressive step forward from Ruger.

Edited by Middle Man

So we got a sample gun to look at off the FEDEX truck. Nice and slim frame. Ambi mag release and ambi safety. The safeties are small, up and more to the rear which makes it awkward/difficult to work with your strong hand. Overall, it is an impressive step forward from Ruger.

Give us a range report if possible. :)

The magazine disconnect can be taken out in less than a minute. And it is not in the trigger linkage, so it makes no difference in the trigger pull either way.

Wonder why they cannot make a good looking centerfire pistol...

It is listed on their website as a semi-double action at 6.5 pounds

here:

Ruger SR9™ pistols in 9mm offer the following features:

** Weighs 26.5 oz., in a package of just 5.52" H x 7.55" L x 1.27" W

** Reliable, striker-fired ignition

** Easy, "Semi-Double Action" trigger-pull - 6.5 pounds.

** 17+1 Capacity. (Note: 17-round magazines are not available in all states and locales; 10-round magazines are available where required to meet state and local regulations limiting magazine capacity.)

** Chambered in 9mm Parabellum (9mm x 19).

** Short trigger reach.

** Unique reversible backstrap (flat or arched) to accommodate grip preferences.

** Slim, ergonomic grip features a 17-degree grip angle and three, 22 lpi checkered panels that provide a sure grip without being abrasive.

** Patented Ruger camblock helps absorb recoil.

** High-visibility 3-dot sight system is click adjustable for elevation and drift adjustable for windage.

** Picatinny rail accepts modern sighting devices (lights, lasers, etc.).

** Ultra-slim stainless steel slide.

** Ambidextrous magazine release.

** Ambidextrous 1911-style manual safety.

** Internal trigger bar interlock and striker blocker, trigger safety, and magazine disconnect.

** Visual and tactile loaded chamber indicator.

** Suggested retail price of just $525, including hard case, extra magazine, magazine loader, padlock, and instruction manual.

Give us a range report if possible. :)

:blink: but then it would be a used gun...

Aside from the typical shops trying to get more out of a gun because its "new", I don't see any reason why a new one couldn't be picked up under $400. They'll sell a ton of these. I would imagine they could make a good 13-15 round gun in .40 too and sell plenty without many changes in tooling.

Compared to earlier bricks from Ruger, this one ain't so bad.

Even compared to other brands it looks pretty good.

I am certainly not a Ruger fan, but I agree w/ Patrick's observation that this appears to be an improvement over the P-89 9mm I once owned. Please to see additional brand competition among (soon to be approved) Production division guns. Not sure why they put a thumb safety on it though.

I am certainly not a Ruger fan, but I agree w/ Patrick's observation that this appears to be an improvement over the P-89 9mm I once owned. Please to see additional brand competition among (soon to be approved) Production division guns. Not sure why they put a thumb safety on it though.

+1 Carlos.

The link in your signature line is also the reason I would not buy anything made by Ruger.

+1 Carlos.

The link in your signature line is also the reason I would not buy anything made by Ruger.

No wonder the Ruger #1 is a single shot. :goof:

+1 Carlos.

Punishing Ruger for the act's of the prior management makes as much sense as punishing S&W for the acts of their old owners. The fact that this new gun has 17 round magainzes should tell you that the old mentality of the two Bill's is a thing of the past.

Personally, I can't bring myself to punish the employees and the new management of company for the sins of the old owners. IMHO, it is appropriate to punish business practices that hurt us as gun owners but it is just as important to reward companies that recognize the errors of their ways. If we don't then there is really no incentive for a wayward gun manufacturer to change their business model.