Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Expected Barrel Life - Jacketed Bullets

ipscman

• 2 weeks later...

ipscman

I have a schuemann ultimatch .400 with about 20,000 rounds through it and it still groups like it did when it was new. Hope this puts tour mind at ease. All copper jacketed and all making major.

(Edited by Bigbadaboom at 12:03 am on Mar. 29, 2002)

• 4 months later...

Thanks for bringing this topic to the forum.  Kellyn, "a long time" is a little too relative for me.  I've put over 2000 rounds through my Schueman this week alone!  Lately my practice sessions consist of about 400 rounds in under two hours.  Needless to say that my barrell is smokin' when I'm done.  My question is "how bad is this type of practice for the barrell?  Rest of the gun?  Is there an accelerated rate of wear under these conditions?"  Thanks, Mr. Davis

I just replaced my Schumann hybrid with, no lie, well over 65,000 rounds and it was still accurate. At least 45,000 were at the 175 PF. The key is VV powder.

I got a great deal on a new one and am leaving nothing to chance for Nationals, so I replaced it.

My Nowlin with Accurate 7 did not make it to 25,000

PS I know its not a "stock" gun but info is good.

(Edited by BSeevers at 5:25 pm on July 30, 2002)

ipscman and davism

bullets are not the only thing that will wear out a barrel.  Powder is also a major factor (as Bill had said with AA 7) as are the conditions the barrel's exposed to (heat as Flex said).  

A powder that does not burn cleanly will generally leave a carbon residue inside the barrel. When the next bullet comes through the barrel it will force this carbon into the metal (throat of the barrel) and also drag some of it through the barrel.  This causes wear in the throat and rifling of the barrel, reulting in a shorter barrel life.

I have seen people shoot their comps of because they do high round practices, such as back to back to back to back (you get the idea) bill drills, or test all their "Big Sticks" one right after another without letting the gun and barrel cool off a little.  (I know the comps came off because the thread lock was heated and lost its ability to help the threads bind the comp to the barrel).  Remember that the barrels are made of metal which gets softer with heat.  As it gets softer its interior dimensions change and the bullets coming through the hot barrel will help deteriorate the barrels life (for accuracy) because they will wear down the distinct edges of the rifling.

Generally, lighter and faster jacketed bullets will wear a barrel out faster than heavier and slower ones and lead bullets could probably shoot forever provided you keep cleaning the barrel.  

The barrel on my 38 super has well over 15,000 rounds and still looks pretty much new.  I have an old para racegun that probably has well over 60,000 rounds through it. It still shoots pretty accurate even though there are signs of wear to it.

Brian

(sorry for the long post. I am tired and tend to ramble when I get this way.  I hope it made sense.)

Thanks for the info Bseevers.  Now I now what to expect!  

Although I've never had to break out the oven mits...  I do like the feeling of a warm gun!  Lately, I've been running Montana Gold, 180 gr. jacketed bullets with Vit 320.  I haven't noticed any residue on the inside of the barrell.  I'm not shooting back to back to back Bill Drills, but I am shooting alot in a short amount of time.  All in all, I think my barrell's OK with my current routine.  Thanks to all for the input.

IMO

I would say that when you can not even rack the slide at the front serrations because they are too hot is probably too hot.

400 rounds in 2 hours is fine.  1,000 rounds in an hour is pushing it and you won't really get anything out of a practice like that anyway.  

when I practice I generally shoot 40 to 50 rounds. I then walk downrange and make sure that I shot where I called the shots, tape the targets, curse at myself, paint the steel, then come back up and load 4 or 5 mags with 10 rounds each(dont want to kill the springs for practice).

Brian

• 16 years later...

I use a Coleman soft bladed fan that is designed for camping, uses 4 D batteries. I shoot 80-100 rounds within 5-10 minutes, lock the slide open and sit it in front of the fan's gentle breeze while I load my mags and paste. Cool to the touch in probably 8-10 minutes. 

Rip another 80-100, rinse and repeat. My barrel life has been over 50k in terms of rifling wear using Blue Bullets and VV N320. 

• 4 weeks later...

Barrel life is very variable.  Using jacketed bullets, it's likely the life will be in the 60,000 to 75,000 rounds range, but this is not an absolute.  Some may wear out sooner, some may go longer.

Lead bullets are much easier on the barrel and I have seen guns that were still good and said to have fired some quarter million rounds.  That from the owner, but I trust him.

Effectively, I don't think it is something to worry about until you notice a degradation in accuracy.

The bottom line is that it is worn out when it will no longer deliver the accuracy you want from it.

Note that this is addressing 45 Autos.  Hot Supers and Major Nines may be less.  Judge by accuracy.

Edited by Guy Neill
Added content

I was a Navy armorer back when they were still using 1911's. Most of those guns had been in use since WWII and I never once saw a worn out barrel. Only ever replaced one, it had crown damage and it was easier to just replace than re-crown it. Occasionally we'd wear out an M-60 barrel. Don't even get me started on .50 BMG barrels ?

And if you do the math on how long a barrel REALLY lasts, it gets interesting. Figure the time it takes for the bullet to start forward and leave the barrel. This is thousandths of a second. Add up all those thousandths and the barrel actually only lasts about 6-8 seconds for rifles and a minute or two for pistols. The numbers get worse if you shoot faster or load hotter.