Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying w/ guns & ammo

I know that I've seen this somewhere a while back, but how much does various ammo weigh?

The airline allows 11 lbs of ammo. How many rounds of 180grn .40 does that translate to? How many rounds of 124grn 9mm?

Are they a little forgiving...can we get away with extra rounds?

Thanks for the info

300 rounds of 180 grn 40 s&w

400 of 115 grn 9mm

390 of 125 grn 9mm

all weigh close to 11 pounds, give or take.

The last time i flew they asked if i had any ammo and if it was seperate from the gun, in boxes. They didn't ask for weight. I'm sure you could get away with an extra 50 or 100 rounds but YMMV

Weigh it??? :) I can get 300 rounds under the limit, in boxes, for 125gr Supercomp. For big matches, I tend to ship the ammo ahead (for FL Open and Open Nationals, last year....)

Yeah, I need to weigh it, but the bathroom scale isn't accurate.... My Aunt passed away yesterday so I'll be flying to Kansas City for a funeral...kind of sudden...didn't find out about it until 9pm last night. It really hurts me not to shoot A3 since it is this weekend ...I'll only be 3 hours away...and it cost $500 for the plane flight. I called Manny, he said to show up and I could shoot the match with the ROs tomorrow. By the time I got out of here tonight, flew to Kansas City and then drove to Rola MO it would be midnight and I'd have to shoot the next morning. Reverse procedure...after the match I'd have to drive back to Kansas city for a viewing at lunch Friday. Finally decided I'm not prepared enough to go. Opportunity missed. The biggest issue is that I can only get 300 rounds to KS ont he plane.

Now for the big question...am I a REAL dog to try to squeeze a match around a funeral...!

300 rounds of 180 grn 40 s&w

400 of 115 grn 9mm

390 of 125 grn 9mm

all weigh close to 11 pounds, give or take.

The last time i flew they asked if i had any ammo and if it was seperate from the gun, in boxes. They didn't ask for weight. I'm sure you could get away with an extra 50 or 100 rounds but YMMV

Thanks for the info...thought it was 300 rounds of .40.

Gun in one bag, ammo in another. Maybe I'm lucky, but have never been asked for how much ammo, or wanted to see it. I just walk to the counter, tell them I have a gun in luggage to declare. Usually they ask if there is any ammo in the bag with the gun, say no and end of story. Don't ask Don't tell, if it's good enough for Uncle Sam, good enough for me!

I just flew from Idaho to MS with two pistols and 500 rounds of 180gr .40 and they never even asked me if I had ammo! Another guy that went with me also had 500 rounds. I had all of the ammo in my Dillon shooting bag and my pistols locked up in a hard case with all of the rest of my gear. I have done this on a number of occasions. CRAP!!! I shouldn't have said anything!! I probably just jinxed myself!!! :angry2:

Last time I weighed factory Remington, a box of 9mm was ~1.5#, box of .45 was ~2.5#.

Like everyone else has said, counter agents want to see the gun and see the declaration form in the case. I've never been asked about ammo.

I tend to 'toe the line' when flying with the gun. I don't want anything to 'disappear' because I was fractionally over the limit.

I just called Air Tran and asked them their policies (since it wasnt on their website). They said no more than 11 lbs of ammo in ANY BAG. So you could probably split it up although they dont want it in the same suitcase as the firearm, and since they only let you check 2 bags, you're kinda limited to just the 1 bag. Secondly a max weight per bag of 50 lbs. I don't know about you guys but I dont think I even own 39 lbs of clothing, much less plan to bring that many clothes with me to a shooting match.

Also if you are that concerned about the weight of the ammo try to use factory cardboard boxes, since the plastic MTM ones weigh a little more even when empty. Just a thought

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Also if you are that concerned about the weight of the ammo try to use factory cardboard boxes, since the plastic MTM ones weigh a little more even when empty. Just a thought

If it comes down to that, I'll pour the ammo out of the box. If they are going to bitch about a few ounces of plastic, then I'll bitch that it's "11 Lbs of ammo" and not "11 Lbs of ammo and box."

I've flown to 3 matches with guns and ammo -- each time with 300 rounds of .40 S&W in plastic cases. Only once -- with SouthWest -- did I have a bit of an issue.

The counter agents asked me to wait around for a few minutes, in case TSA had an questions (seems to be SOP ). I did so, and a few minutes later a TSA guy came out and said they were "trying to figure out how much ammo I had," having not seen so much in a bag before. "And is it factory ammo??" :(

A few minutes later, they waved me along, but I don't think I'm going to press the limit in the future. I do believe it's a good idea to keep a couple factory cardboard ammo boxes around, and use those for flying instead of MTM cases.

I'm honestly surprised, in a way, airlines let you fly with 11lbs, in fact. Pleased, but surprised.

Factory boxes are the way to go. When they get used or beat, toss them instead of hauling them home. Tape them up well before getting on the plane though-- they really don't like to see loose ammo on the x-ray.

The other issue is your bag can't weigh more than 50 lbs, so you have to keep an eye on that too. I had a bag from Nationals a little over 50 on the return since I packed it different so I just did a transfer of stuff to the other. Be friendly it helps. It was still over but he said "just let it go its fine"

I have never had ammo weighed. Have been asked if I had any maybe twice. Had it taken out maybe twice at TSA and then only one box glanced at.

I had my ammo weighed flying to VA 11 years ago for the Nats. More exactly, my wife, who came out on a flight after me, got the ammo in her bag weighed and it was a bit over. She described this surreal scene where the check in attendent kept running back and forth to her with fistfulls of ammo, since they were weighing the container in a back room. They gave her the overage and she pointed out she was boarding and didn't have anybody at the airport to take the ammo, and didn't want to dump it in the nearest trash receptacle. They ended up giving it to the airport police and, I got it back, after much hassle, about a month later.

I fly alot. Mostly Southwest but Express Jet also.

1st Issue--locked gun in a hard case

2nd Issue- no bags over 50 lbs

Only once did Southwest give me trouble a couple of years ago.. The agent took issue withthe amount not weight. He was a weenie.

Again over and over again, they were more interested in the 50 lbs limit bag weight. From then on, I put ammo in two different bags. I have not had a problem.