Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum oxide + fiber glass resin =

aggunner

one hell of a head ache and one hell of a grip

tactical2.jpg

I stippled the grips first time around and just coudln't get the traction I wanted so I shaved the grips down, slathered on the resin and sprinkled on the aluminum oxide and tada.

Excellent job. Really looks good. Let us know how well it works.

i've shot with it a few times but haven't been able to ring it out yet. The true test is going to be a 3 day thunder ranch class coming up in jan

where do you get aluminum oxide/epoxy resin?

scott was kind enough to send me the aluminum oxide and I have plenty left over if you want some. Let me know if you want it and i'll send what i have left to you. And I got the resin at autozone.

I did a few guns like this several years ago...works great. Acra-glass works just fine for the epoxy. If you get tired of the ugly brown alum oxide, you can go to the local craft store and get colored sand. This is usually available in blue, red, black etc.

Mark Dye

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

aggunner.

I know this thread has been dormant for awhile, but after reading the thread by splashdown on grip repair, I'm interested in giving this a go myself.

So, my question were you able to apply the epoxy resin with a paint brush, or how did you apply it where you wanted it. And once the resin was applied, did you just sprinkle the oxide on and whatever stuck was enough, or did you apply some, press it down then apply some more? And finally, did you do the entire grip at one go, or did you break it down into stages.

I will definately appreciate any other input you might have...I have an old grip to practice on, but would like to start armed with as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks.

the fiber glass resin should be thin enough where you can apply it with a paint brush. Don't apply it too thick or you run the risk of the epoxy running. As for applying the abrasive media, sprinkle it on till you get good coverage. Do it all in one go. You should have enough time before the epoxy dries up. I had to do my grip repair in multiple stages since i'm trying to build the size of the grip back up (i went a bit crazy with the file :wacko: ).

My next experiment is to mix up some epoxy with the abrasive media, brush it on and apply more media. My reasoning behind that is if the outer layer of media flakes or comes off from excess use, the media that is suspended in the epoxy should still be rough enough.

Edited by yoshidaex