Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Summer Blast

Just confirmed dates for the 2008 Summer Blast.

Summer Blast dates for July 9-13, 2008

York PA

Half Day format.

321 participants in 2007

Finishing some last items for this year and will start for 2008. Hope to see you at the match.

Larry

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys are killing me!

I'll work on it in between the honey do list that I forgot to do last year. Don't worry Alan, no need for an app since you are working the match. :)

Larry

• 3 months later...

Well between the house work, actual work and the occassional police emergency....I still have some plaques to send out from the match. Anyone want to take that over in 2008?

Anyway, question for you forum members......the Summer Blast was not selected for a World Shoot Qualifier match in 2007 but for those going to the world shoot it was their loss. We have thought of an idea to try and help the team out in 2008. Run the Summer Blast using classic targets and provide the same course layout such as the 1, 2, 3 ratio as found at the worlds.

Just thinking out loud and wondered what you guys thought? Some of us will never go to a World Shoot and thought it might be good to have something that would be close. We of course would use USPSA rules so no one has to modify their equipment to participate.

Thoughts?

Oh yes the apps will be coming out shortly stay tuned!

Larry

Well between the house work, actual work and the occassional police emergency....I still have some plaques to send out from the match. Anyone want to take that over in 2008?

Get them through Manny and he will ship them for you after the match.

Run the Summer Blast using classic targets and provide the same course layout such as the 1, 2, 3 ratio as found at the worlds.

Dance with the one that brung ya. You have lots of props and lots of space...and design great stages. Load up those field courses.

Summer Blast is a great match, great balance of stages versus length of time needed to shoot the match in a half day format, what ever you decide Im sure itll be another fun match.If you really want to change something about the match how bout making it a payout match. I know its been stated that this is a charity match, which charity and how much is donated each year? Why not do a raffle towards a gun to offset a charitable donation. H :)

Load up those field courses.

Field courses? I am a single stacker, how about some nice 7 round arrays, that gets me a make up shot without slide lock :goof:

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Sounds more like a "single slacker"- sorry Z, I am just full of it today! :lol:

Load up those field courses.

Field courses? I am a single stacker, how about some nice 7 round arrays, that gets me a make up shot without slide lock :goof:

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Sounds more like a "single slacker"- sorry Z, I am just full of it today! :lol:

Now there is nickname for Zhunter.... Zhunter the SingleSlacker :cheers:

Larry,

You do a fantastic job running the Summer Blast. It is a match to attend. One of the best run matches. That said. run it as USPSA and use USPSA (read Metric) targets. If we wanted to shoot IPSC rules, that is what we'd have and we wouldn't have just approved a USPSA rulebook.

We will have what feweer than 100 going to World Shoot and of those, how many will shoot Summer Blast? vs how many shooters that are arguably local, USPSA only shooters????

Play for the crowd, not the few.

All said, I would still attend, but I would not be as happy a camper.

BTW, Applications???????

Jim

As for my vote I say don't fix it if it ain't broke. I think this is one of the greatest matches out there. I paid to come last year but work made me miss it and I sulked for a month. I love the round count and I love the creative way you all designed the stages.

I agree with Jim & tpcdvc ..... great match / great stages / great staff. But I choose to shoot USPSA not IPSC. If shooters want to go to a quasi World Shoot match ... the Florida Open is that match. They don't do the 1,2,3 ratio but they DO use ALL classic targets & lots of long shots.

Don't fix what ain't broke! :)

I've only been around the sport a few years but the last two years of Summer Blast have been some of the best matches I've seen. Personally I don't mind a odd stage of classic targets thrown in but as others have said you folks have a great formula for matches that doesn't need fixing. Just my .02 because I'll be there no matter what and hopefully able to run the side match this year if you have one.

quote "Summer Blast is a great match, great balance of stages versus length of time needed to shoot the match in a half day format, what ever you decide Im sure itll be another fun match.If you really want to change something about the match how bout making it a payout match. I know its been stated that this is a charity match, which charity and how much is donated each year? Why not do a raffle towards a gun to offset a charitable donation." H

I apologoze for not getting this posted earlier as I forgot to do so, I will take the hit on this one. We donated via several options during the match to the following organizations:

Order of the Eastern Star - Sisters of Charity (food and additional money)

York IWL (range rental)

Yourk IWL Youth Shooting Program (money and brass resale)

USPSA Junior Fund (money from shotgun match)

If you have never run a major match, the expenses are huge! We are the only level 3 match that I know of that is a $75 match fee and the shooters at registration walk away with a gift. I will try to break down some expenses to help understand.

Hotel for staff $6,600.00

Staff match fees $3,750.00

Staff meals on the range $750.00

Staff thank you dinner $500

Set up help $500

Staff shirts $300 (donated by Techwear)

Shooter gifts $1980

Gatoraide/Ice/Water $600

Range Rental $3,200.00

Targets and pasters $750.00

Range materials (paint, lumber, screws) $300.00

USPSA Fees $1600

Dumpsters and trash removal $400

Porta pots and handwasher $400

Office (other mailings) $200

Plaques $900

Now we did do payouts for the shotgun side match. Money from that went to the USPSA Junior Program, we donated $500 to the Muscular Distraphy, the Order of the Eastern Star sold food to raise money and we are getting ready to send the another check for an additional donation. I also hold money back each year to purchase targets to start getting things ready early if I need to paint hardcover. As you can see above we do not have much left over if any...this is way we do the raffle.

I know it looks like we spend allot of money on the staff, YES we do and I will continue on that path. I learned early on to take care of your staff or there will be no match.

I know you guys understand that because I think we have one of the best, most effiecent and friendliests staff in USPSA. I want to keep the match fee low, provide and excellant match for the shooters and help to benefit someone if we can.

So if anyone wants to shoot for money, bring the shotgun as you have a chance to get a cash payback and if you want to win some great prizes, buy more raffle tickets as this is out biggest pure money maker. In 2007, my wife had to work so we fell short in this area.

I hope this helps explain the costs associated with a major match, where the money goes and why we continue to provide the match in the format that we do.

Larry

Almost forgot, like everything else the match expenses most likely will go up with the continued rise in gas prices so I see the donation shrinking...if that occurs, we will put the match on just to cover the expenses....I do not see the match going anywhere unless York doesn't want us anymore. As long as I can walk or crawl the match will go forward!

Edited by sbmd

I for one love to shoot the Summer Blast. I do not mind classic targets and would welcome the additional Challenge.

Mike

I don't think that using classic targets is what myself and others are talking about. It's the balance of short, medium and long courses in IPSC style match. IPSC matches are done at a ratio of, 3 short courses (no more than 9 rounds to complete), 2 medium courses (no more than 16 rounds) and one long (no more that 32). So in a 12 course match half of the stages would be 9 rounds or less. I don't know about you but I like to shoot more involved stages with higher round counts. ;)