Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Speed Sensing Capabilities

The past two days driving to work I went past one of those unmanned portable 'radar' units that police put out in neighborhoods etc to remind people of their speed. The first time past, I didn't even notice it until it lit up showing me over the limit, and it took a minute, but I realized that my radar/laser detector did not go off (and I thought these were usually on all the time so you got a lot of advance warning). Anyway, I checked and it was plugged in, turned on, and the volume up. Hmmm, that's strange... :huh:

Today, I went past the same device but paid close attention to my V1, with the same result. My speed lit up big time and my V1 just sat there not telling me anything was going on. Is there some new type of speed sensing technology out there that a good radar/laser detector will not pick up?? If not, I probably need to send my Valentine in for service... :(

Wow, deja vu....Exactly the same experience I had recently. Not sure what they're using either since there were no sensors sitting on the road (to be an IR setup).

There used to be a few sites (maybe even on Valentine's) that catalogued what state used what technology for speed detection (the kind that costs you money if you get caught). I'd try to find that info and see what may be out there. I did notice, in my experience, that the unit didn't have much of a range so, whatever it is, it's probably not viable for revenue generation; I mean actual traffic use.

When powering up, did you program it to ignore x-band? if so that is why, but there are several states that are using newer technology that is harder to detect. You may need to send in you V1 for an upgrade. I did as mine wa older and they brought it up to newest specs, I think it was 80$. Be carefull out there as some places are still justdoing simple vascar which is timing and no radar, and then there are the states using the planes. <_<

When powering up, did you program it to ignore x-band? if so that is why, but there are several states that are using newer technology that is harder to detect. You may need to send in you V1 for an upgrade.

Nope, it is straight out of the box...

Since they seem to be right around the corner from my office, I probably will just run it over there and see what they think. Maybe an upgrade is necessary... ;)

When powering up, did you program it to ignore x-band? if so that is why, but there are several states that are using newer technology that is harder to detect. You may need to send in you V1 for an upgrade.

Nope, it is straight out of the box...

Since they seem to be right around the corner from my office, I probably will just run it over there and see what they think. Maybe an upgrade is necessary... ;)

Let us know what you find out please....I checked about 2 months ago and my V1 was up to date...however I never expieranced anything like the original poster did.....if the fuzz has something new we need to know :surprise:

Especially because radar detectors are legal in many states, the Mods agreed to keep the thread open - as long as everyone posts "on topic." Meaning, please keep the discussion to the devices themselves; please do not drift the thread with moral/legal implications of "speeding" posts.

be