Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 "Issues" and 35 questions

Ed Deegan

My wife shoots her G-34.

Her front site WAS a Hi-Viz FO with the inserts, but we kept breaking the inserts. We switched over to a TFO, thinking that for night shoots as well as the protection that the TFO gives around the FO material.

We have broken (fiber came out) 2 of the TFO's and the third one is loose and that is just this year. As you know these sights are expensive and I am weary of buying new TFO at $80.00 a piece. Her draw looks good and she is not binding the gun that I can tell during dry fire. Any ideas? Maybe a clear epoxy or resin poured into the channel? I can try to post a video of her dry-firing for smarter folks than I to review.

The next one may be stupid, but, the only dumb question is one you dont ask. The Arredondo +5 extensions, how many rounds for the 40? Is that a reloadable 20? 19? The mags they will go on are a very tight 15 and I am thinking about using that to try limited to see if I like it, before the big bucks come out.

Thanks in advance

Ed

If you have to you can reload with 20 round with Arredondo's. You really have to seat them hard but you can do it.

Most times I reload with 19 just to be safe. "IF" the course works better to reload with 20 I will but usually it is not needed.

Does she have the new style Hiviz FO? The original style was prone to breaking rods. I have some + 5 Arredondo extensions. I get a reloadable 20 easily. I can start with 22 in the gun if needed.

Edited by Joe D

4-5 with 40...

...and jeeze, I've been beating the hell out of the same Dawson/Heinie sights for 30 months now (and I mean BEATING TO HELL!) and have yet to break them. Perhaps it's time to switch sights?

All I can say about sights is my Dawsons are great.

As for the extensions, it all depends on the mag bodies. I think anyone can get 19+1 without effort. I had to try a bunch of tubes and +1 followers to get 20+1 to work with minor loads. Also cut a coil off the springs. 6 of the 11 extended mags for my wife's G35 hold 20+1, but I'm very particular about 100% perfect function and it's harder to get 20+1 with minor loads compared to major loads. I've seen no difference in capacity between Dawson and Arredondo extensions, but for that kind of money I prefer the Dawson aluminum to Arredondo plastic. I like that Dawson extensions don't need a tool to take apart.

I'm impressed with anyone who can get 21+1, even with major loads.

Don't remember if you asked me but, I can barely get 20 in mine. 19 reloadable. With 20 I can't even rack the slide.

As far as my f/o front. I have used Dawson's w/o any issues for over a year now.

Good luck to Mrs. D

Oh BTW.................... :bow:

I have seen a Dawson front sight fail 3 times. First was on a draw - fiber optic rod broke. Seond was hit on a barricade and the fiber optic rod broke as well. Third was on a stage where the shooter started with a front sight, and ended without it. I guess it worked its way loose. I have Dawson's in my G34 and G35 and have had no problems yet.

I can get 21 in the mags using the early style follower and early model mag bodies. I have not tried this with the new style mag bodies yet. The follower I use looks like a 9mm follower. I will check the # to see which one it is. OTOH I think a lot of folks spend too much time and $$$$ trying to get one more round into their mags.

I have seen a Dawson front sight fail 3 times. First was on a draw - fiber optic rod broke. Seond was hit on a barricade and the fiber optic rod broke as well. Third was on a stage where the shooter started with a front sight, and ended without it. I guess it worked its way loose. I have Dawson's in my G34 and G35 and have had no problems yet.

Gosh...I draw my gun probably 600 times a day, and have never lost a fiber optic. Me thinks the installation is to blame, and not the sights themselves. The ol' lighter trick has done the job just fine for me.

Gosh...I draw my gun probably 600 times a day, and have never lost a fiber optic. Me thinks the installation is to blame, and not the sights themselves. The ol' lighter trick has done the job just fine for me.

Yea, I could not believe it either. I think he was using a holster that did not have a good channel cut for the sigts.

The trick to get the most out of your mags is Dawson base pads, dawson spring with 1 1/2 coil cut off, LEO magazine body and #5 follower. 20 easly and 21 if you push really really really hard.

Something about the LEO mag bodies will allow the extra round. I have the non LEO marked ones that are brand new and with the same guts as my other mags, I get 19 and not a penny more.

Buy yourself some Dawson Sights. You will never look back.

g10

I can’t help you with the 35 stuff but it is good to hear Mrs. D is going to let you finally have a working gun, I know she’s been holding you back, trying to keep you down :ph34r: .

I used a HiViz for about six months and didn’t have any problems. If you want I’ve got some of the rods you are welcome to. I’ve been using Warren/Sevigny for the last year or so and haven’t lost a rod yet. Before I’d spend $80 on another TFO I’d buy either a set of the Warrens or the Heinie/Dawson combo. The good Colonel had a set of Dawson’s he is getting rid of but they may be gone now.

Does she have the new style Hiviz FO? The original style was prone to breaking rods. I have some + 5 Arredondo extensions. I get a reloadable 20 easily. I can start with 22 in the gun if needed.

Sorry if my original post was unclear. She had the Hi-viz with the "light tube inserts" which I love on my 1911. Because she kept breaking them, we switched to the TFO, and have continued with that.

Thanks for the info on the arredondo's.

Ed

Sounds like the sight may be binding in the dovetail. If it is, it will not be square and puts pressure on the FO. Was it hard to get in?

Is there any evidence of binding on the sight base, shaved metal,grooves etc? Also check the edges of the dovetail on the gun.

Hope this helps.

Not likley a dovetail issue...on a Glock, but the binding could be there. There isn't a lot of space between the barrel and the littl nut that holds the front sight on. I've seen rubbing/contact in this area.

I must be the most ignerant guy. I apologize again for my inability to explain the problem... The piece of FO coming out of the TFO's is the problem we are having. Sure the sights come loose from shooting, vibration etc., and I have been hesitant to locktite them in for fear of her not liking the sights, again... (she is the love of my life, but she is a woman... :wacko: ), so I tighten them after a match, but the FO keeps falling out is the problem I am trying to solve.

Thanks for being patient guys. Why do I think I am going to pay for a comment or 2 above? Been nice knowing you...

This is just a thought, but the fiber optic may be breaking from the extra vibration of the front sight coming loose. As for mag extensions I can get 20 in all of my arredondo ext. mags. One trick I found to getting a full mag to seat easier is to take a file and raise the top part of the notch in the magazine. I am talking about raising very little probably .002-3". You must be careful to keep the notch perfectly square or they will eject upon firing. Makes a full mag much easier to seat reliably.