Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

12 or 20 Gauge?

Paul Burtchell

I've been shooting my 1187 Youth for almost a year now. Started out with a fiber optic sight, modified choke and 1 oz heavy dove loads thinking I needed to get more shot on target, aim it like a rifle, etc, etc. but have since took the fiber optic off, switched to 7/8th loads, IC choke and shooting it how a shotgun should be shot and it STILL has more than enough to knock down the steel (at my range anyways). I keep some 3" shells handy in case I come across some stubborn steel, I haven't had to use them yet. Transitions between poppers is very fast due to the low recoil and light weight. I think the only think that is going to stop the 20 this time around are the rule makers.

Last weekend a guy with a loosely choked 12 gauge wanted a reshoot because he couldn't knock down some steel. My 20 took it down easy and ended his whining.

Edited by Filishooter

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy the 100 round cases from Walmart and have not had any issues.

I don't shoot the 20ga so I have less recoil, the recoil doesn't bother me with either shotgun. I shoot it because I can hold more shells in my hand, and load it faster than I can with the 12ga. Also the recoil impulse is "crisp" (term stolen from Gentleman Jim). You are able to get back on target faster, plus the gun is very light and "nimble". Hard to get "nimble" with any 12ga.

I do think the pattern of the 20ga is not as forgiving as that of the 12ga. I am starting to experiment with different chokes. At the '07 Multi-gun Nationals I noticed that even with IC choke and 7 1/2 shot, I was shooting a MUCH tighter pattern on the poppers than guys shooting the 12ga with IC choke.

Time to take it to the range with proper targets and do some pattern testing I think. I also need to find a Skeet choke and see how that works.

I shoot 12, but I plan on shooting He-Man or Heavy Metal if I ever go to a major match. If you are in doubt, go for 20 gauge. Hot 20 gauge shells are more reliable than weak 12. You might have to look harder for your extended tubes and mag holders but you should be able to hold one or two more shells in your hand during reloads.

• 4 months later...

Well since I just finished building up a 20 for 3-gun, as was doing a little digging around and found this thread. The pattern size will be roughly the same with an IC 20 verses an IC 12. The EFFECTIVE pattern may be a little smaller due to the pattern being less dense with the 20. Take your chokes and various loads to the pattern board to find what works best. Quick handling of a light 20 gauge should be a plus. I had an old 26" 1100 lt20 just sitting around and put a nordic extension on it with a synthetic stock. Ready to go. Much lighter and quicker than my 32" Kreighoff sporting clays gun. Not to mention I might not be too fast only loading 2 at a time.

Anybody compare the 1100 20 ga loading port to an M2? Are they the same size? I tried a shooters 1100 recently and found the loading port smaller than my thumb, which to say the least was a bummer. Loading it fast will be very hard for me. Not to mention the tip of my thumb was sore after only a few rounds.

20 gauge loading prts ARE samller......and need to be worked on for the guys with bigger thumbs (proctologists). Here is a good example of getting around thatpost-2749-1212149068.jpg

Makes loading VERY easy

Edited by TRUBL

Been practicing the reloading a LOT lately.

From a Mark Otto chest rig using CCW 4 round 12ga. carriers loaded with five 20 ga. shells (they fit perfectly), loading weak hand, I am getting the following times.

Par time set at 4 seconds. Able to load five rounds and be back on target by the second beep.

Par time set at 8 seconds. Able to load 10 rounds from an open bolt and back on target before the second beep.

This is standing in one place with no stress.

I figure come match time I should be able to load 5 rounds in about 10 seconds and if I try to load more than 5 I will have pretty yellow shells flying all over the ground. Probably look like a friggin Dandelion factory.

Been practicing the reloading a LOT lately.

From a Mark Otto chest rig using CCW 4 round 12ga. carriers loaded with five 20 ga. shells (they fit perfectly), loading weak hand, I am getting the following times.

Par time set at 4 seconds. Able to load five rounds and be back on target by the second beep.

Par time set at 8 seconds. Able to load 10 rounds from an open bolt and back on target before the second beep.

This is standing in one place with no stress.

I figure come match time I should be able to load 5 rounds in about 10 seconds and if I try to load more than 5 I will have pretty yellow shells flying all over the ground. Probably look like a friggin Dandelion factory.

Dude! You're practicing?

NO FAIR! :P Don't you have like, I don't know, reports to write or officers to reprimand or something? :D

Hopefully I will be able to sneak away this afternoon and do a little off hand rifle practice, myself.

I still haven't opened up the loading port on my Benelli. I'm gonna have to throw it in a Bridgeport one of these and get to work on it since Tim gave me some tips on how to do it.

Keith,

Leave the loading port as is. A bigger loading port is way overrated. As in lots of other things in life, "bigger is not always better". Of course that is much easier for me to say since I am already blessed with a bigger um.... ahh.... loading port - yeah, that is what we were discussing - right? :cheers:

Practice is way overrated as well.

• 8 months later...

So its ben about 7 months since the last post, is the 20 coming on strong? I'm about to take the plunge. I won't be shooting any big matches but I am competitive, I'm 5'4" so I have small hands, the small shells sound pretty good, also I'm left handed and would like to try a lefty shotgun, any leftys out there tell me your thoughts

Lefty here... "right handed" shotguns seem to work just fine for me. Loading port is an easy target for weak hand reloads. More selection of barrels for RH. Some safeties can just be switched to be left handed operation...others can't. ie. Beretta xtrema you need to purchase a LH fire group. :(

good luck, John

I use the remington 1100 in 20 ga, and it works great. Mag-na-ported, red dot

sight, extendend tube for 10 rounds, speed loaders. I love it. I can shoot it all

day, and not be hurting afterwards. There was some question of it taking down

steel, and I have found that it will just fine. I never have had a problem droping

a popper in 5 years of shooting.

also I'm left handed and would like to try a lefty shotgun, any leftys out there tell me your thoughts

"right handed" guns (both pistols and long guns) were made for leftys!!! do all the reloading, bolt or slide operating, etc with your weak hand, keeping your strong hand as support.

jj

• 2 years later...

Still using my 20 gauge M2 with a 24" barrel, and still holding my own. I've even finally begun to start to load with my weak hand.

I still get a lot of crap about it, but I still use it.

I will say, it really hasn't caught on as I thought it would have. 12 gauge is just too easy, a huge standard and way too much availble for them. There is still parts for the 20 gauge availible and they are still as competative as the 20 gauge.

Brian Payne left his 20 gauge behind (still wears pink, but uses an M2 12 gauge now), and at the last league night he beat me by only 2%

Bruce Piatt went to a Versa Max

One HUGE hold up on the 20 gauge and it may end up being the death of the 20 gauge is that vertical spinner that MGM makes. We've been using one to set up for the upcoming match and we've settled on 15yds with a 12 guage 7.5 shot, Cyl bore taking 4 or so shots to flip it over. The 20 guage with no chokes couldn't do it. Next time I will have chokes with me and see how it works.....if we can't do it with a 20 gauge....that will be that......it will have met it's match.

Tim

One HUGE hold up on the 20 gauge and it may end up being the death of the 20 gauge is that vertical spinner that MGM makes. We've been using one to set up for the upcoming match and we've settled on 15yds with a 12 guage 7.5 shot, Cyl bore taking 4 or so shots to flip it over. The 20 guage with no chokes couldn't do it. Next time I will have chokes with me and see how it works.....if we can't do it with a 20 gauge....that will be that......it will have met it's match.

Tim

Not really understanding this part...

As you know, the 20ga has about the payload and powder charge as most 2 3/4 12ga (until you get into the high brass stuff). If a standard 1oz 1 dram 12ga load will push the spinner over, then the same load in a 20 should do it. the 20 should actually have an easier time of it without choking down as much because the 20 has a tighter pattern...essentially its already choked down??? :blink:

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Tim

As you know, the 20ga has about the payload and powder charge as most 2 3/4 12ga (until you get into the high brass stuff). If a standard 1oz 1 dram 12ga load will push the spinner over, then the same load in a 20 should do it. the 20 should actually have an easier time of it without choking down as much because the 20 has a tighter pattern...essentially its already choked down??? :blink:

jj

Was at a 3 gun yesterday and a guy was running a 20 pump with the breaching standoff. He was shooting 7.5 winchester 1oz 2.75" and suffice it to say the steel was unforgiving to him and he turned plates on good shots that others could knock down with 12's on a pattern edge. He was having to hit dead center and upper half of the target. I feel that chokes are the only way to go for a 20 and it better be a modified or tighter unless you want to run the high brass. I'm not certain that the bore diameter being smaller has any benefit when coupled with the decrease in power.

Tim

jj

JJ.....I had NO CHOKE in the shotgun...none, zip, nada....zero constriction. At 15yards it's got a 20" dia pattern. .636" bore. Even my IC goes down to .618" Yes, we all know about shot column and payload. But right now, the 20 gauge 7/8oz load is shooting a larger pattern than a 1oz out of an IC. Once I put my IC in, or Mod....things will be different and I suspect that it will work fine.

As for any other steel.....if something is unforgiving for the 20ga.....it's unforgiving for any 12ga, 3dram, 1oz load out of an IC choke as well. BUT....you need to have a choke, any choke :roflol: in a 20 gauge for the most part. I have to admit....last year I took my choke out and misplaced it....BUT do I need it for that MGM spinner, to get it to flip around once.

Tim

Geee.....thanks Jesse

Edited by TRUBL