Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brownell's Teflon/Moly Gun Finish reviews?

stopsign94

I just placed an order from Brownell's for their Teflon/Moly gun finish in Matte Black to do my CCF glock frame. Has anyone used this stuff before? I watched all the Brownell's videos(which were actually pretty informative) and am pretty confident in doing this myself, but has anyone here tried it? Any tips or reviews on how long it lasted are much appreciated. I also bought the TCE degreaser that they recommend. Thanks guys

Edited by stopsign94

I have, It really doesnt hold up that well, not sure how it will work on polymer, or is that the new metal glock frame ?

The regular Baking laquer is better,, but the two part Duracoat airbrushed is by far the best home finish I have used.

Well the way I see it is worst case scenerio I have to strip it off and try something else, I want to eventually get the Ion-Bond done, but trying to wait until the winter. Now they advise having the gun media blasted with 120 grit Aluminum Oxide. I don't have any of the equipment to do this nor the space to put it. Does anyone have an estimate for what this should cost to have done somewhere and also an alternate to the Aluminum Oxide? I think I remember seeing that glass beads would be ok also. Thanks in advance for the great advice.

Spend the 15 bucks on the Duracoat, you allready have degreeser or you can use no residue brake cleaner. you can prep it with some sandpaper doesnt take much, go to a hobby shop and buy the small model car air brush that has a 4 oz glass jar and a hose that attaches to an aerosol can, and a set of measuring spoons at the grocery store,,, Trust me Dura coat is way better than Brownell's shake and bake.

well I guess I was a little off on the fact that I thought the bake on finishes generally wore better than the duracoat. When I get it media blasted, are there areas I should tape off like the framerails? I've never blasted anything before and have no idea the finish it leaves behind/metal it removes. Any advice for first time metal-finishing?

Dura doesnt require baking, but it does take a couple weeks to fully cure. I would tape off rails before blasting, couldnt hurt, with the dura though I wouldnt bother unless it was pretty ruff. or I could get it done free,

From what I've heard, the teflon finish tends to flake off.

Here's my HK P7M8 that I refinished the slide with Brownell's Bake-on Lacquer. Only did the slide since the smith I had refinish it had a hard time reblueing the slide.

It's mostly holster wear, but it isn't any worse than the blueing on the frame.

DSCN4413.jpg

I can't help on the Brownell's stuff specifically. I have used Norell's Moly Coat on three guns. My Springer Operator I shoot in L10, my Springer Mil Spec I shoot in SS and now my STI Edge I shoot in Limited. It holds up well for me. On sharp edges that are in tight spots in a holster I have wear. No flaking or f*ed up spots. It is actually very good stuff in my opinion.

What I do for steps in doing a spray and bake finish:

Clean very, very, very thoroughly with brake cleaner.

Dry very, very, very well.

Pre-heat to 150 degrees. This also makes the spray dry quickly when spraying and keeps it from running.

Bake for full time recommended in instructions.

Spray with CLP or other popular spray gun oil as soon as you take parts out of the oven.

Keep some extra spray around for touching up.

Chris

Allrighty then, so I guess the general feeling is that the bake on stuff isn't that durable. I'll give it a shot and see what happens, and I'll post picks in then next couple of days and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the advice, I'm definitely going to drench it in the TCE cleaner, bake it to preheat, then spray probably 3-4 very light coats using a hairdryer to dry in between, then bake for the 30 mins at 300 as Brownell's recommends. Wish me luck!!!

Allrighty then, so I guess the general feeling is that the bake on stuff isn't that durable. I'll give it a shot and see what happens, and I'll post picks in then next couple of days and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the advice, I'm definitely going to drench it in the TCE cleaner, bake it to preheat, then spray probably 3-4 very light coats using a hairdryer to dry in between, then bake for the 30 mins at 300 as Brownell's recommends. Wish me luck!!!

Sounds like you want gunkote; Its available from Brownells in a spray can and its way better than the moly teflon stuff.

Duracoat is best used if you bake it also, it just doesnt HAVE to be baked.

Duracoat and Gunkote are a tie, in my book, with the edge going to duracoat for the wider color selection.

I have used it several times and it is ok stuff. I have also used Duracoat on many projects and find it to be the most durable of any spray on finish. It is a two part, mix and spray product. Surface prep with any finish is the most important thing. My recomendation is when you feel it is clean enough, get a new rag and clean it all again. And try not to handle cleaned parts with your bare hands. I use a spray bottle from home depot called a preval sprayer that comes with a glass mixing bottle and a pressurized screw on sprayer. Works great for 5 bucks and you throw it away when you are done. Attached is a picture of my 1911 that is Duracoat magpull dark earth with black controls, sorry for the purplish tint to the photo. it looks a lot better in person.

post-6767-1190927058.jpg

Well my TCE and Teflon/Moly finish will be here tomorrow so I'm going to try and find someone local with a blast cabinet. I'll post some pictures of the finished frame this weekend and let you guys know how everything went. Thanks for all of the advice, if it doesn't hold up too well I'll go the Duracoat route.

The preval sprayer allows you to get great results. The finish is as good as many factory finishes. I have a Para-coat p-16 and used to have a Kimber CDP with their finish and my 1911's finish is smoother and has proven more durable than either of the others. I highly recomend both the preval unit and Duracoat. Spray something for practice to develop a feel for it though before you attempt a big project.

Well I'm almost done with the finishing. I had it glass blasted after work today, found a great little machine shop in the process. Only ran into one snag..... I just took it out of the oven, looks perfect, except for the fact that the permanently bonded locking lug in my CCF is no longer bonded. Anyone else have that happen to a Stainless frame yet? I'm wondering if I should JB Weld it back like it was or leave it? Or contact CCF and ask? thoughts...