Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting for A class

Calamity Jane

OK my goal in 2008 is to become an A class Open shooter. Great! Now what does that mean? I could do a skills evaluation to see what I need to improve on to get there....the problem is I DON'T KNOW WHERE "THERE" IS. For example: I could say I need a faster draw...OK how fast is an A class shooter in Open?? I don't know. I could say I need .17 splits at 10 yds, .19 splits at 15 yds etc....OK but is that A class?? What is A class?? I'm having trouble finding the measuring stick.

Classifiers are measurable ways to define A class. So I was thinking of choosing 6 classifiers that focus on a variety of shooting skills and then working on bringing up my skills to A level as defined by those classifiers. Certainly this isn't my entire training plan...just a part of it. ;)

What 6 classifiers would you choose to achieve this goal?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El Pres is a classic because it includes all the basics: Turn and draw from surrender - 6 shots at 30 feet - a reload - 6 more shots at 30 feet.

Mini Mart is good because it includes a draw from an unusual position (under counter NOT table draw) and a RELOAD from an unusual position. (You wont believe how many shooters I see want to go to their belt for the reload) Also includes some partial targets. The reason I like mini-mart is if you can make yourself go back to the counter for that reload instead of the belt, you are on your way to mastering the mental side of this game. Lots of stages will require you to do something odd, whether it be an unloaded / holstered start which invited you to go for the 1st mag in your belt, and when it is time later in that stage for a reload most shooters will wonder where their 1st mag went. We all talk about subconscious shooting, but sometimes you must overcome your subconscious tendancies in order to win an odd-ball stage.

Any of the weak hand / strong hand classifiers are good. I hate to say it, but you WILL use those skills time and time again in this game.

Overall Jane the key to making A class is consistency. Funny thing is that's what wins matches too! ;)

I would go about it in a bit of a different way.

Next time you go to the range do it with the purpose of evaluating your current ability.

Test your draw (all types), reload, splits, transitions at 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards. From there, if you would like you can post the information and we can have a baseline to suggest drills for you. Just selecting a random 6 classifiers doesn't do much because we need to focus on your weaknesses.

I do however disagree about the shooting on the move thing. You won't lose ground by not shooting on the move until middle to high M and GM.

Jane,

I could bore you with a lot of detail that I may or may not know what I am talking about.

I beleive that a move from a strong B class anything to A class is to pay attention to minor details in your whole shooting regiment and most of all your mental game and whole mindset is what sets A and B class apart.

Good Luck !

I agree with Jake's idea of going out on a skills assessment - I think that's good for everyone to know about their shooting. Once specific weaknesses are identified, drills can be done to help improve things, obviously.

As far as specific classifiers to work on general skills (as opposed to which ones are do-able with the intention of moving up), here are some off the top of my head that should be easy to set up w/ a minimum of props:

99-10 - Times Two (some movement, good distance on the targets - add a reload in between, if you want to practice the blastoff reload...)

99-11 - El Pres (well known, turning draw, wrists above shoulders, reload, good distance)

99-39 - Off Balance Blast (odd positions, a reload, relaxed at sides start)

99-41 - Works For Me or 99-42 Fast and Furious (back and forth to steel, reload, odd draw position, leans)

03-08 - Madness (tight shots, reload, wrists above shoulders)

03-14 - Baseball Standards (hint, 100% is 120 points - a hard one, but good practice)

You might consider adding in 06-03 Can You Count as a trigger manipulation and relaxation exercise. It doesn't hurt at the A level to know something about the kind of focus and attention it takes to shoot at warp speed up close....

I would go about it in a bit of a different way.

Next time you go to the range do it with the purpose of evaluating your current ability.

Test your draw (all types), reload, splits, transitions at 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards. From there, if you would like you can post the information and we can have a baseline to suggest drills for you. Just selecting a random 6 classifiers doesn't do much because we need to focus on your weaknesses.

I do however disagree about the shooting on the move thing. You won't lose ground by not shooting on the move until middle to high M and GM.

+1 on the eval... I try to do one after every match and then try and work on that in practice.

Keep doing what you are doing. Evaluate your weaknesses every time you shoot, don't wait for classifiers.

The ability to shoot on the move helps at every level, from D on up. Classifiers might be the exception.

Are you wanting to become a better competitor, or is your goal to be an "A"? It might not be the same thing.

I do however disagree about the shooting on the move thing. You won't lose ground by not shooting on the move until middle to high M and GM

Jake, take it from someone that has been C, B, and A class, one will have to shoot on the move in A class to be on top. I'm sure Jane wants to be number one A in the country.

Obviously, being able to shoot strong hand only and weak hand only will certainly put you ahead of the rest of the pack on those classifiers that hit on those skills. However, even if you are really horrible SHO and WHO, those classifiers will just be flagged as too low if you tank them. Setting up and leaving a position are important for those few classifiers that test those skills. Otherwise, the "classifier" skill set is pretty universal; the draw, the reload, transitions, and to some degree your splits. At A level (especially in open) you must be able to call your shots the very instant the gun fires. I truly believe a person with good hand eye coordination can reach GM class across all divisions just by refining the skills needed to open up a can of whoop ass from Box A. A lot of dry fire goes a long way towards refining those skills. Of course, the result is great stand and deliver shooting skills, but that isn't what it takes to gobble up a bunch of match points on game day in long courses.

I was C class before too.

All I'm saying is effort would be better concentrated on entering and exiting positions rather than shooting on the move. You don't and shouldn't shoot on the move on every stage but it's rare that you have no movement to do. More gains with efficient entering and exiting, and at that stage, the values from shooting on the move don't outweigh the risks to your progress as a shooter.

THREAD DRIFT!!!

I love you guys, but I don't give a DARN about movement. Quit talking about it. Most classifiers are about stand and shoot.

I want to be an A class shooter on paper. Yep you heard me right. A CLASS ON PAPER!!!! I'm hungry for some type of achievement and I will stand on that range and shoot until the Ohio Classifier says I'm A.

My weakness is "stand and shoot". Mentally I get bored or I don't respect the simplicity of just standing there and shooting. SO by picking out some key classifiers I WILL be working on my weakness and on the skills to make me a better shooter.

AGAIN this is NOT my entire plan for becoming an A class shooter!!!!

Quit debating and start posting which classifiers are good skill test.

Sorry guys...I've had a couple of glasses of wine and I'm a little irritated. Forgive me...and continue to post.

Ok well I still stand by what I said excluding the movement part.

But if you just want 6 classifiers here's what I would use.

99-11 El Presidente - this should be your baseline performance

03-05 Paper Poppers - great for reload, steel, and trainsitions

03-11 El Strong and Weak Pres - works on strong and weak hand

99-23 Front Sight - 2 start positions, big transitions

99-46 Close Quarter Standards - lots of gun manipulation

99-63 Merle's Standards - accuracy work, strong hand and weak hand

It's amazing how informative men can be when they are kept on track. :D

OMG . . . uh . . . Calamity hasn't gotten much sleep lately and she has embarked on some sort of wine therapy . . . uh . . . please take that into consideration when reading any of the posts from this evening . . . :huh::o:D

Jane

I try to never train or shoot like that but you can become a paper A easily. Its just a letter ;)

You mention you also want a good skills test. That's a different request thats been answered. Getting an A card and winning A class are related but different.

Classifiers are mostly stand or have little movement, draw, shoot at 10 yards, and reload n repeat type affairs. They are also usually narrow on transistions and keep the gun in the same "plane" so practice in that 10 yard wide and 10 yards downrange region. Basic mechanics rule so dry fire is your friend.

Here are some classifiers you can get higher scores than normal in my experience,

99-05

99-21

99-32

99-28

99-18

99-15

99-43

99-60

Edited by BSeevers