Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being lied to and turned away from shooting

zhunter

OK, I am in England, the Southwest to be more precise, and wanted to go shooting today. Clay bird shooting that is. I was trying to introduce a friend to the sport, we called around to find a place to shoot, ONLY to be told that we are not allowed to shoot, because I/WE do not have a licence for a firearm.

SO, I called a couple of my British friends to see if in fact this was the case, EVEN though I believed to to be false. You see, I had previously in years past shot MANY times at the Jackie Stewart Shooting School in Scotland. My friends told me this was not the case, I then called another shooting club, who were not open for shooting as they only shoot on weekends. BUT, that club did inform me that NO, I did not in fact need a license to shoot, as I would be using club firearms and shells from the club. I asked again to make SURE that there is NO law against me being able to show up and shoot, and was told in NO uncertain terms that it is PERFECTLY legal for me to be able to shoot, END OF STORY, I should be allowed to shoot.

So....

I called the offending club back (Lains Shooting Academy, phone number: 44 01264 889467 ) and proceeded to make them aware of the fact that I had checked up on this and believed them to be in error!!!!

What is it about people that first, turn business away, and secondly, turned away a person who is really wanting to get into the sport.

I sincerely hope and of the British shooters on this board contact and put pressure on the above named club. Our sport gets enough anti-shooting, but to have it come from within is just appalling!!!

OK, I am done!!!

OK, I am in England

Sad, but part of the reason the laws there (and getting there, here) are that way is because it's elitist. You are not part of their elite clique and therefore are not truly wanted. For many of them, it has nothing to do with gun rights....

Your reputation may have preceded you!

:lol::lol:

Possibly, and it was not a he, but rather a she that wanted to shoot. She is a but pissed off too, and not the person you want to piss off, as she is a "Barrister".

It is sad that they are not into helping others out!!!

As for "the weekend", that club is not having a shoot until Oct. 6th, and I work weekends anyway.

I hope to find something for tomorrow a bit further away I guess, but still trying.

Possibly, and it was not a he, but rather a she that wanted to shoot. She is a but pissed off too, and not the person you want to piss off, as she is a "Barrister".

It is sad that they are not into helping others out!!!

As for "the weekend", that club is not having a shoot until Oct. 6th, and I work weekends anyway.

I hope to find something for tomorrow a bit further away I guess, but still trying.

I did not have a problem when I shot at Glen Eagles,but that was years ago...they were snobs then too...

Possibly, and it was not a he, but rather a she that wanted to shoot. She is a but pissed off too, and not the person you want to piss off, as she is a "Barrister". ........

Let me be the first to say......

This thread is now worthless without pics!!!!!

Possibly, and it was not a he, but rather a she that wanted to shoot. She is a but pissed off too, and not the person you want to piss off, as she is a "Barrister". ........

Let me be the first to say......

This thread is now worthless without pics!!!!!

This is a shooting thread, get your mind outta the gutter ;)

Just kidding of course

Okay I see we "yanks" all like to jump on the band wagon and say how wrong this is, BUT there is more than a little truth to what the club told ZHunter. Be indignant all you want, but they are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT try and see it from thier side!

In the U.K. it is neccessary, BY LAW to have a temporary users permit to borrow a gun ( in this case shotgun ). Name, address, reason for use, references to include your general practitioner, and statement that you are allowed to use/have a firearm, and MUST list the serial number or numbers of the firearms you will be using. This form has to be signed off by the chief LEO of the area you are in and HAS to be in your posession while using the firearm. Two friends can't even LEGALLY switch guns at a match or even just to try them out with out these papers being in order.

The club you contacted was very probably and rightly worried that if anything would happen, or a random check was preformed they would be GONE. There is NO SECOND CHANCE and all the people involved in JAIL, to include Z and friend. Barrister won't carry any weight at all! Anyone who told you that this wasn't neccessary were the ones liing! How do I know all this?? Simple I shoot over in the U.K. quite often and even though I "have" a firearm over there, it is really papered to one of my friends who legally holds it and I have to get a temporary users form for EACH match I go and shoot. Schools will apply for the user permits and they have a VERY SMALL lee way in use AT SCHOOL GROUNDS. Be happy Zman they may have saved you a trip to the GAOL! Kurt Miller

Kurt

I have NO reason to question you at all. But...

I have shot at clubs here before, albeit a "school" like the Jackie Stewart one in Scotland. I was VERY clear in asking about the license at the one before I called the other back. And was told I would be able to shoot.

Th e"barrister" was NOT throwing weight, and was not up on the firearms laws, but DID call a Chief Inspector that she does some work with and he has not yet called back.

I will keep you informed, we are attempting to make a go of it at a different club tomorrow.

I didn't mean to imply that she was throwing any weight around, quite the contrary! What I ment was that in the eyes of the law, she would be treated just like anyone else with no difference given to her position as a barrister. Heck even the street cops ticket each other, knowing full well that it could mean the other cops job! PC has hit hard and NO ONE gets a break...except the criminals of course!

To get a real good read on all this visit ukpsa.org and contact Neil Beverly. Talk to Steve Pike at Sheild Shooting center, he might know a way to help. Kurt Miller

Edited by kurtm

ZH here, but female Barrister is going to type in the latest:

I spoke to the offending club this morning. There was a slight misunderstanding on their part about the status of the "license". I agreed with her at the start of our chat that "the license is for the gun". "Agreed". Two minutes later I informed her that in fact the license attaches itself to the user and not the gun. Hence, the vetting procedures. No concession given that she had misled ZH the day before.

So, if you want to come and shoot in the UK do yourself a favour: 1) arrange it early - they get booked up; 2) arrange a temporary license if you are using your own gun; 3) organise a "lesson" making it clear that you only want a nominal supervisor ie someone with a license. I am embarrassed at how difficult it has been to get ZH a shoot, doing what really is a national and traditional sport. We should be welcomed with open arms not misinformation. I am sure it is an isolated case.

BB x

PS no pics.

Please excuse the barrister's poor spelling

ZH out