Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being lied to and turned away from shooting

zhunter

Blah, Blah, Blah.

We STILL expect pics.

Pics: With or without the wig?

Just forget it Zman....the damn Brits are overly concerned about gun violence...thus the reason that THEY have bombs going off in London and they have an abundance of Muslim immigrants without any clue as to what the hell they are doing there...

Can't you see the danger in letting one American shoot a round of clays with a borrowed shotgun?....you might let it out of your grasp for one minute and some scoundrel shoot some wildlife with it or something...forget the fact that their National Security depends on a bunch of idiots with whistles and batons.....

As I used to tell a Canadian friend when he kept asking me about the US's obvious obsession with guns...."

We are just a struggling colonial nation and don't have the Queen to protect us..." Hard to even believe that at one time the sun never set on the British Colonial Empire...

Tightloop

OK, we did it!!!

And...

The Barrister is HOOKED and but good!!! Gave her some pointers, got her a lesson and the UK now has a new shooter for sure!!! We went TO THIS PLACE and had a great time!!

The best shooting facility I have ever seen. Word is, the London Olympics will have the shooting sports at this location.

I expect ENOS will have a new member soon, most likely named "TheBarrister"

Persistence paid off here, I refused to take no for an answer and found a great place.

ZH

Sorry for the delay in replying and my apologies for not getting around to your email. I've been away at the European HG match (only for Admin purposes unfortunately) and when I got home I had a shed load of stuff to catch up on - and I haven't yet!

I certainly can't claim to have much knowledge of the intricacies of the licencing system because it's not really my bag. Nor I am involved in any way in clay shooting, I simply don't have any free time. However, I will ask around for you. I have to say that I think Kurt may be slightly off target with his comments.

We operate a 2 tier licencing system in the UK. Kurt's comments are correct in regards to Section 1 Firearms. However, clay shooting clubs (and guns) fall under Section 2 and certainly my understanding is that it should have been perfectly legitimate to turn up, pay a fee and shoot with a club gun and ammo. I think it works that you can't buy the ammo without your own licence but you can buy an all inclusive package, including ammo supplied. You then have to shoot under the supervision of the range owner.

All in all I'm amazed you've been turned away and I apologise to you on behalf of the good guys over here, because there are some, but, unfortunately, there are also some *ssholes. Certainly some clubs are as snooty as hell but other clubs are perfectly happy with normal people!

In fact if you met some of my friends who do go clay shooting up to competition level you would see the other side of the coin. Salt of the earth!

I've pasted a link to the primary organisation for clay shooting and they are usually pretty good but I will see if I can find some more info for you.

http://www.cpsa.co.uk/

Sorry you've had a bad experience.

OK, we did it!!!

And...

The Barrister is HOOKED and but good!!! Gave her some pointers, got her a lesson and the UK now has a new shooter for sure!!! We went TO THIS PLACE and had a great time!!

The best shooting facility I have ever seen. Word is, the London Olympics will have the shooting sports at this location.

Persistence paid off here, I refused to take no for an answer and found a great place.

Bisley is without doubt regarded as one of the all time great shooting venues. It is difficult to explain to anyone who hasn't been there. There is a huge tradition attached to Bisley and I'm very pleased you got sorted out.

We ran the IPSC HG European Championships there in 1987 and the IPSC HG WS in 1993 (WSX).

We're running quite a few slug matches there at present but it is best known for rifle shooting (up to 1000 yards).

My bad, didn't know about the two level thing, but I sure know about the guns that hold a lot :o . Glad it worked out! Sory for the confusion! Thanks Neil when in doubt.,..ask Neil KURT

Edited by kurtm

OK, we did it!!!

And...

Bisley is without doubt regarded as one of the all time great shooting venues. It is difficult to explain to anyone who hasn't been there. There is a huge tradition attached to Bisley and I'm very pleased you got sorted out.

We ran the IPSC HG European Championships there in 1987 and the IPSC HG WS in 1993 (WSX).

We're running quite a few slug matches there at present but it is best known for rifle shooting (up to 1000 yards).

International Incident averted : Entente Cordiale has been re-established between the UK and ZH. Had a bad moment there on behalf of the Brits. Our licensing laws are frankly embarrassing and WE ALL KNOW that you can't legislate for nutters.

My friend shoots here, which is near Bisley:

http://www.southdownsgc.com/contact.htm

I'm sure that the human to snob ratio is pretty low there because my friend wouldn't put up with anything else. Bring your AMEX Unobtainium if you go. It is NOT cheap. $120 per hour just for the *tutor* to shoot clays. :surprise: I'll submit a report if I make there on "holiday" next year.