Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Rocky Mountain 3-Gun - September 4-6

Dumb question

Is there any color of backing that can be put up to contrast the grey color of shot steel? Flouresent yellow, hot pink. It seem like that could negate the need for repainting. Might help with low light as well. Has to work good in bright sunlight too.

As for classes/divisions, I don't much care as long as the match is held every year.

Thank you again Denise & JJ for putting on the match.

It was great.

Ty

On stage 2.......you could see the targets better without the backing!!!!!!!! the grass was a great backer for gray targets.....i know they where easier to spot that way.....we painted in the morning and at lunch........I was playing around with them at the end of the day and could see them just fine gray with my iron sights....

You did great on your reshoot, but i can't say that for everyone else.... :surprise:

Garret Hawkins

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, we've been shooting a pretty fun and well attended "Tactical Rifle" match down here in Birmingham lately. We recognize four categories, Tac Optics, Tac Irons (Minor caliber) + Heavy Metal Optics, Heavy Metal Irons (308, 30.06)

Since we introduced the "Heavy Metal Optics" category, we've seen a sharp increase in shooters shooting .308's.

Personally, I'd love to shoot "heavy metal" but don't due to the iron sight requirement on the rifle (can't see the targets even with my specs). I realize that is what makes the class so challenging, but if you want to increase shooter participation, you might consider allowing an optic on the HM rifle.

• 3 months later...

Finally! The application for JP Enterprises Rocky Mountain 3-Gun is up on the website!! :D

RM3Gun Website

I've also added it here in word!

2008Application.doc

We will score Open, Tactical Scope, Tactical Iron, He-Man Scope and He-Man Iron completely separately!

The rules have a few clarifications, but have stayed the same!

If anyone would like to sponsor Rocky Mountain please contact us at rm3gun@yahoo.com.

We've got some great ideas and plan to go to some beautiful new areas of Whittington Center!

We look forward to seeing you all!

Denise and JJ

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to clarify!

I messed up last year. I wanted to keep things similar to previous years since we were just taking over and Rocky Mountain has always combined Iron and Optics in Tactical. Where I messed up, is I just scored them separately on long rifle stages, and it was probably not the right interpretation! :unsure:

So...this year, Rocky Mountain has 5 separate divisions which will all be scored separately on ALL stages!

We have Open, Tactical Optics, Tactical Iron, He-Man Optics (I know, I know! We're trying it! :blush: ) and He-Man Iron (The only REAL He-Man! :lol: )

We've got people for all 5 divisions already, so things should be just great as far as prizes!

Hope to see all of you there!

Denise

Denise, everybody screws up once in awhile, or misinterprets stuff. It takes a very big person to admit it. thats what I like about most shooters, we have no problem admitting it.

BTW,Count me in for the match, I'm filling out applications next week. Sorry you and JJ can't make our SG match, maybe next year.

Trapr

• 2 months later...

<_< Weird rumors abound. We heard from one of our sponsors that this was the last year they were going to sponsor Rocky Mountain because the NRA was running it next year!

What the #$%@? :angry: Nothing could be further from the truth! I've just started to get the appropriate storage and filing systems to organize this baby better! I'm not giving up now!

Things are going great for this year, and we already have tentative dates for 2009! That is, unless my head explodes before this year is over!!! :blush:

We have a lot of great sponsors: OF COURSE the amazing, JP Enterprises! It is JP Enterprises Rocky Mountain 3-Gun after all. :cheers: Sabre's coming back. Arredondo, Brownells, Benchmade, Burris, CamelBack, DPMS, Eagle, Ergo Grips, Flash Target, FMG, Gram's Engineering, LaRue Tactical, Lens Pens, Magpul, MGM, Nordic Components, Otis, Point Blank, Redding, R & R, Rugged Gear, Safariland, Spec Ops, Starlight Cases, Trijicon, Truck Vault and Viking Tactics are already confirmed!

So yes, we're here this year. We're doing great on RO's. The Bowling Team will be journeying north. We are filling up, so get in your applications soon! And we're already planning next year!

See you in September!

• 4 weeks later...

Even though we're a little busy with Johnson 3-Gun, we just got back from Raton and we've got a really good idea of what's what! So for those of you who are always ready:

Our estimate is: 75 targets each for shotgun shot, pistol and rifle, and about 15 slug targets.

You'll want to bring a sling for your long guns! :D

Of course, long range rifle out to 400 yards, and it look like a bonus target over 500 yards!

We've got some stages in brand new places that you haven't shot at before! Bring your camera for the view! We've tried to mix it up and find all new places for you to shoot! :goof:

We've still got a few slots, but get them in soon. Remember, we'll be gone next week, but I'll get your confirmations out as soon as we get back!

We've got a lot of great prizes and sponsors with JP Enterprises at the helm! :cheers:

Thanks to JP, Sabre, Arredondo, Benchmade, Brownells, BlackHawk, Buchanon Bagworks, Bushmaster, Burger Bullets, Burris, Camelback, Dave's Metal Works, DPMS, Ergo grips, Eagle, FMG, Gram's Engineering, LaRue Tactical, LensPens, Magpul, Nordic Components, Otis, PointBlank, Rugged Gear, Safariland, Starlight Cases, Trijicon, TruckVault and Viking Tactics.

We're working on more all the time! If you're interested, let us know!

Hope to see you all in September!

Denise and JJ

I just wanted to clarify!

I messed up last year. I wanted to keep things similar to previous years since we were just taking over and Rocky Mountain has always combined Iron and Optics in Tactical. Where I messed up, is I just scored them separately on long rifle stages, and it was probably not the right interpretation! :unsure:

So...this year, Rocky Mountain has 5 separate divisions which will all be scored separately on ALL stages!

We have Open, Tactical Optics, Tactical Iron, He-Man Optics (I know, I know! We're trying it! :blush: ) and He-Man Iron (The only REAL He-Man! :lol: )

We've got people for all 5 divisions already, so things should be just great as far as prizes!

Hope to see all of you there!

Denise

What is He Man Optics? Just Tac Optical with a .308 or is it actually He Man (single stack & pump shottie) and a scoped .308? :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...
So are there slots open for the match still?

Rich

I think Denise is down at the range for the next few days and can't access the forum. They are setting up for the Johnson-3-gun match this weekend. Best bet is to drop them an email which they can get in the evening.

what exactly is an "atomic ferret" just curious??????????????????

Also your Garand would put you into HM without a problem other than mag capacity. the Spartan is cool as long as its at least .44cal, and the 870 is 12ga....................................... you're good to go.

Scout sez, shooting the Garand will definetly get you extra points from him.

Trapr

We're back!

Thanks Paul for letting everyone we were at Johnson 3-Gun and for coming down and ROing!

The rest of you:

Answers were all good! Thanks!

.45, 12 gauge pump, .308 or 30-06 That'll get you in He-Man at Rocky Mountain!

We did hear they got a little rain down in Raton, hope for some more. It was very dry!

We do still have some slots, but it really is filling up fast, so please get them in soon! We've got a lot of great RO's and some great stages planned in some new places, and some awesome similar places!

Thanks for all your interest! See you in Raton!

*****ALERT*****

Last year, a number of you were surprised to find that some Wolf ammo had steel in it, which left some of you with a very limited supply of ammo! :(

Just this weekend at Johnson 3-Gun, one of our RO's got magneted too late. His USA white box had steel in it, and one of our BRAND NEW targets had a hole in it! :angry2:

So, just wanted you to know that we are still using the magnet at RM3Gun this year. If you don't want to be caught ammo-less, please check them at home. Better yet, take a magnet to the store and don't buy it if you can't use it!

Just wanted to give you a heads up!

Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

Denise

Denise,

I am very, very new to this 3 gun fun. What is this steel/magnet connection? If your bullets have steel in them, is this bad?

Please explain some thanks... :huh:

-Mike

psyops

I'll try to answer this. Some ammo has the "bullet" made with a steel core, easily attracted to a magnet. This is bad because the steel core allows the ammo to punch through stee plate (armor piercing). The targets are made with steel plate. Most commercial ammo is made with bullets that have a lead core. Lead will not attract a magnet, and lead will fragment or flatten when it strikes steel, doing little or no damage to the steel taregets. Both bullet types (steel and lead) have a copper jacket, making it impossible to see the difference until you use a magnet.

Denise,

I am shooting Hornady training ammo. 55 grn FMJ ammo that is built with Hornady primer, powder, and their 55 grn FMJ bullet. All of this is put into steel cases imported from Russia. They look like Wolf, but don't have the steel core ammo and "bullet" will not attract the magnet, but the casing will. I am hoping that this does not cause a problem.