GentlemanJim

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys!

what fails in rem1100 shotguns?

The spaghetti sauce shotgun crowd keeps dissing my remmys. :goof:

I need to know what fails so I can keep an eye on those parts...and have a good spares kit on hand.

Thanks for any info!!

Jim :)

If you think the spaghetti crownd is bad you should come out to my gun club and listen to the Borsh bunch LOL

I guess a better question would be what does not break often?

In the last few years, all I've seen fail is the rings and 1 piston assembly, in the group of 6 guys I shoot with.

The parts don't really seem to break often.. reliabilty in matches is a whole 'nother topic...

All I have is Eric's O rings and one extra gas kit.

I have the damn thing go wrong with my 1100. It keeps happening and happening. The little (actually not so little) part attached directly behind the stock keeps going all to pieces thereby screwing up the whole damn match.

I have the damn thing go wrong with my 1100. It keeps happening and happening. The little (actually not so little) part attached directly behind the stock keeps going all to pieces thereby screwing up the whole damn match.

I have that same loose nut! No matter if I shoot an 1100, SuperX Model 1, or Benelli M2.

(I have to make a distinction on the Super X's :D )

Nanci, if you (knock on wood) lose your bolt handle during a stage again, when you need to show clear, ask the ROs permission to fire the remaining shells into the berm. The action will lock open allowing you to show clear. Then you can find and replace the bolt handle at your leisure.

Just be sure during the stage (if you've lost your bolt handle) NOT to close the action on an empty chamber! :surprise:

Bill

Edited by bpowe

See the following for list of needed parts to keep on hand

rem-1100-12mag.gif

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

a fellow 1100 shooter :)

I think you are over doing it!!!! There's no way you need ALL those parts on hand!!! I've never heard of a butt plate screw (diagram part #20) failing during a stage. You may have a point on everything else though. ;)

rem-1100-12mag.gif

I think you are over doing it!!!! There's no way you need ALL those parts on hand!!! I've never heard of a butt plate screw (diagram part #20) failing during a stage. You may have a point on everything else though. ;)

'

Excellent!

OK, I have you ALL beat on 1100 failures. Today...and I have about 10 witnesses...my 1100 ***PUKED THE ENTIRE BARREL***!!!! The barrel came completely separated from the trunion in the receiver during the first stage of Pat & Carl's match in Ephrata today. I loaded the shotgun, tilted it down, the barrel fell on the ground, and HOWLS of laughter ensued. Fortunately, I had a "1100 spares kit" in the form of an extra 1100 and was able to finish the match without a hitch.

1100_BrokenBbl.jpg

Sorry for the lousy picture, it accidentally was shot as video.

rem-1100-12mag.gif

Comrades,

At a match a few months back our local gun club 1100 expert was fixing a competitors weapon, I was amazed at the number and types of spare parts the man had on hand for just such an emergency he had a tackle box with each little compartment had a few parts in it nice and organized. They changed a few parts and I watched then when they got it all back together they had a part left over, did you put that widget in? no I thought you did. well the took it apart and installed the part. After that and some good natured razzing by the Benelli, pump, and Borsh guys. They put the gun back together and it ran fine the rest of the day. Because the shooter was such a good sport we let him re-shoot the stage where the malfunction happend.

Sorry, Eric, but that is just too funny. I can't stop laughing. Now where is the video??????

No video of the actual catastrophe. Just a short vid of the aftermath. It was *supposed* to be a picture, but the wrong button got hit on the camera. Oops...

It was really hillarious. We had a plastic trashcan at the start box for hulls. I put my 1100 in it before I shot saying, "finally, a gunrack befitting the 1100." Apparently that didn't help my Karma any. ;)

Sorry, Eric, but that is just too funny. I can't stop laughing. Now where is the video??????

No video of the actual catastrophe. Just a short vid of the aftermath. It was *supposed* to be a picture, but the wrong button got hit on the camera. Oops...

It was really hillarious. We had a plastic trashcan at the start box for hulls. I put my 1100 in it before I shot saying, "finally, a gunrack befitting the 1100." Apparently that didn't help my Karma any. ;)

Frickin hilarious, you have to admit us 1100 shooters have a sense of humor at least.

Sincerly,

Guy to broke to buy a bennelli, praying his 1100 works since he got such a great deal on it (read free):)

Nanci, if you (knock on wood) lose your bolt handle during a stage again, when you need to show clear, ask the ROs permission to fire the remaining shells into the berm. The action will lock open allowing you to show clear. Then you can find and replace the bolt handle at your leisure.

Just be sure during the stage (if you've lost your bolt handle) NOT to close the action on an empty chamber! :surprise:

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'll remember that if it happens in the future. This particular incident occured after I shot the gun dry and was attempting a reload. I've been closing the action to enable the use of my tec loaders (it will not work well if the bolt is open and not at all if the action is not cocked) but as it happend so quickly I had to look twice to see that the bolt handle was missing. At that point I knew I would not find it quickly enough to remedy the situation and continue firing. I just set it down, took the misses and continued on with the rifle. When I was done shooting and was asked to show clear is when I started looking for the bolt handle but actually couldn't see to put it in as my reading glasses were not within reach. I guess I need some shooting glasses that have bifocal lenses. $$ :surprise: I've been looking for the stick-on lenses I've read about but can't find them at Walgreens, Walmart, or Costco. Thanks for your help.

No disrespect to those who may choose to shoot what ever brand of firearm available.

I just prefer to use as many all American made things that I can.

In the big picture I dont see china or russia or any other country that produces firearms as being my or our real friend or ally.

Remington is an old well established company that has not only contributed to preserving my second amendment rights...but also has contributed to many shooting sports including ours.

If you recall the Jim Zumbo affair...Remington was among the first to drop him....at that time I posted that I saw a new Remington in my future.

Well, I meant what I said.

Will I shoot a firearm that puts me at some disadvantage for brand loyalty?.....yes.

Remington has given shotguns to game and fish for hunter safety programs donated ammo and clays for training juniors.

Boy scouts have Remingtons, many donated or sold at greatly reduced price.

To me...Remington is an American icon like Colt..Smith..and Winchester.

The 1100 is a complex firearm when compaired to many others...but I find it to be elegant in its function.

This company along with most others has suffered from low cost imports and other factors that have reduced its overall quality.

That said I still believe that with the correct attention this gun is still a viable choice for 3gun.

Dont look for me to be shooting Benellis or Berettas or Saigas....But I do intend to have lots of giggles by poking fun at those who do!! :goof:

Jim :D

Well said Gentleman Jim. So far I have enjoyed my 1100 in 3-gun ,sp-clay,trap and skeet, not to mention quail and dove hunting. The cool thing is I just picked up another one for $300 as a back-up , just in case. I sure there will come a day when something may brake on my 1100.As stated earlier , with two Remmys I still come out with more cash for shells . BTW, I have yet to see a brand name that hasn't let someone down sooner or later. Last 3-gun match I was at , I saw all sorts of fine firearms let their owners down.

No disrespect to those who may choose to shoot what ever brand of firearm available.

I just prefer to use as many all American made things that I can.

In the big picture I dont see china or russia or any other country that produces firearms as being my or our real friend or ally.

Remington is an old well established company that has not only contributed to preserving my second amendment rights...but also has contributed to many shooting sports including ours.

If you recall the Jim Zumbo affair...Remington was among the first to drop him....at that time I posted that I saw a new Remington in my future.

Well, I meant what I said.

Will I shoot a firearm that puts me at some disadvantage for brand loyalty?.....yes.

Remington has given shotguns to game and fish for hunter safety programs donated ammo and clays for training juniors.

Boy scouts have Remingtons, many donated or sold at greatly reduced price.

To me...Remington is an American icon like Colt..Smith..and Winchester.

The 1100 is a complex firearm when compaired to many others...but I find it to be elegant in its function.

This company along with most others has suffered from low cost imports and other factors that have reduced its overall quality.

That said I still believe that with the correct attention this gun is still a viable choice for 3gun.

Dont look for me to be shooting Benellis or Berettas or Saigas....But I do intend to have lots of giggles by poking fun at those who do!! :goof:

Jim :D

Roger that, well said. I have to say my loyalty is with Remington for some of the same reasons. I have just always shot a Remmy and I know them like the back of my hand. And as long as I take care of her, she takes care of me. That might be more maintenance than others but i enjoy sitting and watchin a show and cleanin and inspecting my guns, call me crazy.