Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2008

I need a hotel update -

I have rooms at the Holiday Inn Express in Winter Havan and the Green Gables. I am trying to decide which one I should stay with. Winter Haven is about a 30 minute drive to the range, is it not?

I had the same sort of "mind problem".

Also, I am not from the States, so it was really guesswork.

But the two things that got me through were.

1. Boo Radley's comments.

2. There was nowhere else to book. (probably motels, or whatever, but I would not like to chance that).

So what did you decide? Also, out of curiosity, where are you coming from?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Jack, its a small trip to the range, we are staying at the Quality Inn Cypress Gardens in Dundee. After staying at some less than desirable hotels closer to the range, I thought that it was a great compromise considering there was some resturaunts and stores close by for supplies. Last year I drove from Kissimmee each day so its alittle closer this year. I dont know if there are any rooms left although they gave me a good rate when I booked at at the end of November. Hope this helps. H

Latest update:

There will be 12 total stages in the match, 8 of the usual run & gun type stages (long field courses) where you have many choices as to how you shoot the stage, 2 complicated speed shoots that will require some thought and strategy to shoot well, and 2 simple speed courses.

There will NOT be a stage with 32 targets.

There are NO NO-SHOOTS to be found anywhere on the range.

As in the past, they will not be posting the stages or squads anywhere, prior to the match.

Like I was told by a great instructor "They're so close how could I miss""Those wide open targets are there to suck you in so you will"! Now thats an unforgetable explanation. H

Like I was told by a great instructor "They're so close how could I miss""Those wide open targets are there to suck you in so you will"! Now thats an unforgetable explanation. H

Yeah, that 15-18 yard range is a goofy one, and most of the targets seemed to hang out in it last year. They're close enough that they tempt you to treat them like close targets, but far enough that you really have to get after them like they're 20+ yard targets - better trigger control, etc...

They're all "Classic" targets, too, so the A-zone presents in a slightly different place from the "Metric" target.... If you're not used to calling shots on them, you can get all goofed up that way, too...

Yeah, that 15-18 yard range is a goofy one, and most of the targets seemed to hang out in it last year. They're close enough that they tempt you to treat them like close targets, but far enough that you really have to get after them like they're 20+ yard targets - better trigger control, etc...

They're all "Classic" targets, too, so the A-zone presents in a slightly different place from the "Metric" target.... If you're not used to calling shots on them, you can get all goofed up that way, too...

+1

With the smaller target, the distance is deceiving. When compared to the "standard" target, the "classic" has a smaller scoring area so it is a harder shot at comparable distance. It's easy to get overconfident and drop a lot of points, or even shots, at Franks match. I have heard a lot of comments about the Open stages of the past and easy open shots are NOT usually used to describe them. A lack of no-shoots does NOT indicate open or easy shots. Be warned.

Be warned there's no easy shots at Franks place! LOL. I never considered a swinger at 20 yards an easy shot, especially when its first pass sends the edge of the target plowing into the ground, just about knocking the target off its holder! :surprise: Long shots and fast targets its what Ive known Franks place to typically have and I wouldnt want it any other way. H

I need a hotel update -

I have rooms at the Holiday Inn Express in Winter Havan and the Green Gables. I am trying to decide which one I should stay with. Winter Haven is about a 30 minute drive to the range, is it not?

2. There was nowhere else to book. (probably motels, or whatever, but I would not like to chance that).

Hi Jack, I was just having a Laugh.

But I did have the same scenario in my head as you did.

I wanted to book other Hotels, but they were all booked up, especially on the Saturday, so it was Green Gables or nothing.

So I chose.... Green Gables.

I did not like the web page.

I did not like the pictures on the web page.

I did not like that I could not book, properly online.

and... I also wondered, just like you... how come I can still get a room here, when I cannot get one any place else???

But I did not see any choice, so...

Yippee... Green Gables it is.

Me: I am coming from Denmark.

By the way... What did you choose?

Will there be permanent R.O's on each stage or will it be like the State Chmp (traveling)? I know they usually dont publish stage diagrams, although any ideas on what we expect besides a great time? Thanks H

The Florida Open will have Fixed RO's, as it always has.

Damn! Who's going to want to be an RO if they have to be neutered first? :devil::rolleyes::lol:

[....]

I wanted to book other Hotels, but they were all booked up, especially on the Saturday, so it was Green Gables or nothing.

and... I also wondered, just like you... how come I can still get a room here, when I cannot get one any place else???

Well, there's a limit to the accountability I want to assume. :)

It's not nice; it's not horrible. For the $ it's decent enough. I suppose one could stay in a much, much nicer motel in Orlando, but have commensurate cost and driving distance.

IMO, I don't think you're going to be amazed by how many nice hotels and motels there are in that area of the Florida, regardless.

It's pretty rural.

For the record, I'm not staying there, but only because I'm flying into Punta Gorda, and will be south of the range to start with.

On another note -- 2 extra stages? Terrific! Will they still be in the same bays? I'm hoping y'all will still have the plate-rack area up, to shoot a mag for $1....

On another note -- 2 extra stages? Terrific! Will they still be in the same bays? I'm hoping y'all will still have the plate-rack area up, to shoot a mag for $1....

Steve,

Someone said that there were 2 new bays built over to the right of the plate rack somewhere, not going to double up on any pits. Could be mistaken, but that is what I heard.

Looking forward to shooting with you again this year. Hope it is a little warmer than when we started last year!

Guys, guys...

Boo, I was telling the truth, as I am staying there and did get a response from you.... thanks.

But otherwise, I am just having a laugh..... as there was not an awful lot to choose between.

Cheers...

Nice post those targets give you a very different look. Really watch the A zone on those classic targets.

Hey guys I also booked a room at the "lovely" Green Gables. I, unlike some of you probably, could care less what the place is like. As long as there's a sturdy lock on the door and no roaches I'm happy. This is my first time shooting the Open, I can't wait. I'm getting my ammo shipped out hopefully in the next week or so. I tried calling probably every hotel from Winter Haven to Avon park with no luck for rooms, but the Green Gable said they had 20!!!! I was a little worried too, I guess we'll find out soon enough...

At least I'm used to those targets.....now I have to try to remember that I have loaded more then 10 rds in the mag's.... :goof::surprise:

The only match I shoot without any no-shoot was pretty evil....of course each target was cut in at least three parts :) It was indoor level 2 so max 20 meters on one third of a classic :o;):D

You say the match will be 12 stages this year. Is there a bump in the round count. Need to know, getting my ammo figured out for shipment purposes. Thanks H

They said it would be about 300+ rounds, so bring 600....

You say the match will be 12 stages this year. Is there a bump in the round count. Need to know, getting my ammo figured out for shipment purposes. Thanks H

They said it would be about 300+ rounds, so bring 600....

Thanks! H

I need a hotel update -

I think I might end up with the HI Express in Winter Haven. It doesn't seem like its that much further and I think the are more restaurant choices there. the fact that there are 20 rooms available at the Green Gables scares me. A friend reminded me that we were not too pleased the last time we stayed there. So, HI Express it might be. With my Priority account, I am paying $90/night at the HI and the Green Gables quoted $87. So, its not that big of a price difference.

Gotta start reloading, now. :blink:

I think I might end up with the HI Express in Winter Haven. It doesn't seem like its that much further and I think the are more restaurant choices there. the fact that there are 20 rooms available at the Green Gables scares me. A friend reminded me that we were not too pleased the last time we stayed there. So, HI Express it might be. With my Priority account, I am paying $90/night at the HI and the Green Gables quoted $87. So, its not that big of a price difference.

It occurs to me that I remember some of the buildings at the Green Gables housing semi-permanent guests, or otherwise acting as very affordable housing for seasonal workers and the like. They were off the side; away from the main guest rooms.

Perhaps they've changed their policy, thus creating those vacancies. :)

I need a hotel update -

Hi there, not that it really matters, as I think this will be a dodgy place too, however, if you say that you are with the competition, it comes down to $75 a night.