Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NR Top Notch 550 "EZ-Buy" Package

Paul Burtchell

OK, been doing my research and I think I'm just about ready to lay down the $1,024.00 + to purchase the 550. That's alot of cash for me right now, and I was wondering if anyone else had gone this route that reads this forum and would you do it again? I am shooting both IDPA and USPSA matches now for the last couple of months and am shooting about 2k rounds per month so I've got to do something quick

What is NR Top Notch EZ Buy Package? Second question, have you talked with Brian to see what he can do? !' never seen a gold plated 550 before, but for that kind of money someone must be selling them.---------------Larry

What is NR Top Notch EZ Buy Package? Second question, have you talked with Brian to see what he can do? !' never seen a gold plated 550 before, but for that kind of money someone must be selling them.---------------Larry

It is sold by Brian, on this website. The 550 press is only $379.00 but the complete package with everything you need to start reloading is with it. I was wondering if anyone had purchased the package?

From BE's Dillon shop:

There are four, 550 "EZ-Buy" Packages:

If you've Never Reloaded "NR"

NR - Top Notch $1024.10

Base Price (default selection) includes:

RL 550B Press

Dillon Dies and Case Gage

RL 550B Machine Options

Press and Reloading Accessories

Electronic Scale and (BrianEnos.com) Digital Caliper

"500" Series Tumbler, Media Separator and Case Lube

NR - Basic $780.30

Base Price (default selection) includes:

RL 550B Press

Dillon Dies and Case Gage

Press and Reloading Accessories

Balance-beam Scale and (BrianEnos.com) Digital Caliper

"500" Series Tumbler, Media Separator and Case Lube

Damn I am out of touch with prices, my bench must be worth 10 grand. At 2000 per mo now just starting out have you considered a 650?----------Larry

I am trying to decide between the two. I've just read that the 550 is much easier to learn on, alot less complex. Your thoughts??

Not to cast stones but there are cheaper ways to get where you are going, Lots of Dillon stuff is overpriced and not best quality, their presses are the only game in town though by far the best on the market, You need the 550 with auto prmer, and auto powder, a conversion kit and tool head for each caliber, your gonna end up with a Lee Factory crimp die, so I would get Lyman or RCBS dies unless Dillons are cheaper, Oh carbide is a must for pistol, Id go with tumber and primer flip tray from Midway

Damn I am out of touch with prices, my bench must be worth 10 grand. At 2000 per mo now just starting out have you considered a 650?----------Larry

I am trying to decide between the two. I've just read that the 550 is much easier to learn on, alot less complex. Your thoughts??

I knew the basics before I went to a dillon but I just think the learning curve on a 650 just cant be that much more than a 550. What happens after the curve? The 650s production rate is so much higher that I think the little extra work and time getting started is worth it. I like 550s but if I have an hour to load do I want 400 rds or 700. I think the ideal setup would be a 550 on one end of the bench and a 1050 on the other but I wouldnt get rid of my 650 and spend the bucks to make that happen. 550--650, both good machines but I will take my 650 every time.------------Larry

I use my 550 only for load development. I would go with the 650 and take it slow in the beginning. You will end up there sooner or later and it is less expensive to buy the 650 up front and be done with it.

I went from a Square Deal B to a 650 with a bullet feeder. Yeah.. expensive, however, worth every penny.

I liked the auto indexing of the SDB and the 650.

My vote would be for the 650 over a 550.

I'm loading on a SDB and keeping up with my shooting easily (9mm only, 300 - 600/wk.) When and if I upgrade it will be a 650 or 1050. I know the 550 is a great press, but I'm looking to make fewer moves, not more.

P.S. Regardless of what is said, reloading is not rocket science. I read all the start with a single stage advice and knew that 3000 handle pulls for a 1000 rounds wasn't going to get it. If you have any mechanical ability at all, go very slow starting out (look in every case for powder or get the lockout die) you will be O.K.

If I was considering spending that kind of money, I would go ahead and spring for the 1050 (it comes with dies) a $50 tumbler (Cabelas is good), and a Dillon beam scale. It has to be sweet loading up 6 mos. of shooting in in a few hrs.

I went from a Square Deal B to a 650 with a bullet feeder. Yeah.. expensive, however, worth every penny.

+1 I went the same route for the same reasons. I now have complete "quick changes" for 7 calibers and one more on the way. Why? Because I HATE to reload! It's a chore, kind of like mowing the grass. Not fun, but necessary. So I went with the 650 to give me the high-quality ammo in the shortest amount of time.

Cut corners someplace else. Go with the balance beam scale and dial calipers instead of the digital units, buy less expensive dies (though I really like Dillon pistol dies), but get the press you are going to need now, instead of later.

Ed

+1 I went the same route for the same reasons. I now have complete "quick changes" for 7 calibers and one more on the way. Why? Because I HATE to reload! It's a chore, kind of like mowing the grass. Not fun, but necessary. So I went with the 650 to give me the high-quality ammo in the shortest amount of time.

Cut corners someplace else. Go with the balance beam scale and dial calipers instead of the digital units, buy less expensive dies (though I really like Dillon pistol dies), but get the press you are going to need now, instead of later.

Ed

Ya'll have convinced me. I'll go with the 650 with a case loader. I will be reloading for 3 calibers. 45, 40 and 9mm. So I guess I need to invest in the "quick changes" as well?

Ya'll have convinced me. I'll go with the 650 with a case loader. I will be reloading for 3 calibers. 45, 40 and 9mm. So I guess I need to invest in the "quick changes" as well?

The quick changes will be very helpful. I have 8 of them and it makes changing calibers soooo much easier that I feel they are worth every penny.

Also +1 to the comment about getting the balance beam scale and the non-digital calipers. I was very worried about what I perceived to be the added complexity of using those units instead of the more expensive digital models but my fears were unfounded. I get reliable accurate measurements from both and don't even want the digital models now.

-ld

...I get reliable accurate measurements from both and don't even want the digital models now.

-ld

Me too. If you invest in quick changes (tool head, dies and powder measure all mounted as a dedicated unit) then balance beam scale is only used in the original setup and to verify the weight of the charge when you first reinsert it in the machine. Hardly a hardship.

Another place to save money is on the tumbler. I know it's heresy, but you can find tumblers that cost a LOT less than the Dillon one. Search for a long tumbler thread somewhere in these forums to give you some ideas. Don't get me wrong, I use the BIG Dillon tumbler and media separator and couldn't be happier, but it is NOT cheap!

Ed

I would go for the non-electronic scale and calipers. If you are going to throw money at a dillon tumbler, spend the extra $60 and get the big one. It's much more likely to last longer due to the motor design and construction. At 2K+ rounds per month, you'll be cleaning lots of brass anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're a tinkerer, you will play around with lots of different loads, and you will definitely want the digital scale and calipers!

I'm very happy with my 550.

BTW, the quick change kits are only quick if you stay with one primer size. My least favorite part of the whole reloading process is changing that cursed primer system. If I had more space, I would get another 550 for small primer calibers.

Changing the shell plate is annoying too. To my great satisfaction, however, I learned that .308 and .45 acp use the same shell plate and locator buttons (and both use large primers). So I've got the perfect Heavy Metal setup :) Just need to swap toolhead, and I got powder systems on both :)