Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

REVOLVER GRIPS

Nemo

Here are my current grips. Modified Hogue anatomic whiz-o-weird-grips. They are clad with plastic pudding and then covered with silicon carbide grit. As a southpaw the swelling at the right side (which gives fantastic grip for the palm of the support hand) is a bit problematic when shooting weak hand. Of course you have to place the hand at the right position after reloading but it is hard to place it wrong. Right now I'm modifying some wooden grips to make some inbetween JM's and Hogue monogrips. I really like to experiment :rolleyes:

whiz-o-weird-grip_left.jpgwhiz-o-weird-grip_right.jpg

Good God. I think you have just beaten out the great triumvirate of Doug Carden, Patrick Sweeney, and Bubber for the "Beauty Is As Beauty Does" award.....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my current grips. Modified Hogue anatomic whiz-o-weird-grips. They are clad with plastic pudding and then covered with silicon carbide grit. As a southpaw the swelling at the right side (which gives fantastic grip for the palm of the support hand) is a bit problematic when shooting weak hand. Of course you have to place the hand at the right position after reloading but it is hard to place it wrong. Right now I'm modifying some wooden grips to make some inbetween JM's and Hogue monogrips. I really like to experiment :rolleyes:

whiz-o-weird-grip_left.jpgwhiz-o-weird-grip_right.jpg

Nice... :unsure:

I use modified wood grips on all my revolvers - Miculek grips on the 625 and Herrett stocks on my 66 and Redhawk. All my competition guns are carry guns first and match guns second. Rubber can be comfortable but it snags clothing and that is unacceptable to me. I switch hands during the reload so in that regard wood works better. Yes, it can be uncomfortable, especially if the topstrap is too thin. If you thin the tops of the Miculek grips too much then you are likely stuck with a Minor PF only proposition. My grips need to be perfect and it's no fun grinding down a set of $90 Herrett stocks after waiting two months for them, but I find there is no such thing as a grip that's made to fit my hand.

Dave Sinko

I note that nobody has mentioned the Hogue nylon grips. I prefer them over the rubber ones because they don't stick - the rubber Hogue uses is the stickiest of all rubber grips. I need to order another set for my M67, so I can take the checkered Spegels off it and use the gun as my "dang, it looks like it's gonna rain!" match gun.

...I've tried them ALL...what I like BEST is the Hogue wood grips, NO finger grooves, NO checkering...NOT as "Hard" on your hands as the Jerry M. grips, "Slick" enough to work well concealed and to not "Inhibit" your reloads...FWIW....mikey357

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot mostly lighter fodder for Steel matches; love those Miculek grips for that.

Tried a few rounds of full-power 10mm loads in the 610 w/JM grips, painful. If I'm gonna be shooting hot loads, I'll reinstall the beloved Pachmayrs.

normal_IMG_4306.JPG

I generally use the stock grips for the SW 500 with shims added to the inside for a snug fit on the grip frame. I have large hands with long fingers and the Miculek grip felt like I was holding a pencil. My second choice is a Hogue wood grip, slightly oversized. I reload left handed.

Chris

I generally use the stock grips for the SW 500 with shims added to the inside for a snug fit on the grip frame. I have large hands with long fingers and the Miculek grip felt like I was holding a pencil. My second choice is a Hogue wood grip, slightly oversized. I reload left handed.

Chris

Chris,

How well do the S&W 500 grips work with an N-Frame? (I'm assuming that is what you are using) I was wondering about trying them with my 629 but most people I've asked didn't think they would work. I thought about calling Hogue to see if I could get an answer.

Thanks

John

John, they work fine on an RB N-frame, I put one on a 329 during the brief period I owned it. Another local revolver shooter put one on a 625 at my recommendation, and likes it.

I never used any shims or anything, just stick it on there and tighten the screw.

John, they work fine on an RB N-frame, I put one on a 329 during the brief period I owned it. Another local revolver shooter put one on a 625 at my recommendation, and likes it.

I never used any shims or anything, just stick it on there and tighten the screw.

Thanks, Mike

I shoot with Miculeks, after I dressed down the left-side hump. I did it partly to ease the recoil on my thumb (no pain now, not even after nationals backed by the Qualifier shoot) and also to get clearance for loading and reloading.

Must work, as I find my moonclips a good distance from the gun.

I shoot with Miculeks, after I dressed down the left-side hump. I did it partly to ease the recoil on my thumb (no pain now, not even after nationals backed by the Qualifier shoot) and also to get clearance for loading and reloading.

Must work, as I find my moonclips a good distance from the gun.

Pat:

Could you please show a picture of your grip after mod.

Thanks.