Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

REVOLVER GRIPS

Nemo

Nemo, can you post a photo of the rubber big butt?

Geez, Tony... At least buy me a drink... :lol:

Here it is.

post-2776-1187303986.jpg

Ask Bob Perdue for them.

Thanks pal. Bob shows up here someitmes doesn't he? Can you give me his contact info?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogue Big Butt no finger grooves fitted by Pat Hogue at the IRC and then built to my specifications. The rubber big butt is also offered by Hogue. They were selling them at the IRC this year Carmoney picked up a set.

+1 on Ahrends only without the finger grooves. Nemo , not sure if you remember, but the these were the grips I had on my 25-2 at the Carolina Sectional this year when I showed you my gun in the safe area. Rubber grips are more comfortable , but if you strong hand reload , they are slower to re-grip.

Let us know what you think of the Rubber Big Butt.

Mark

Hogue Big Butt no finger grooves fitted by Pat Hogue at the IRC and then built to my specifications. The rubber big butt is also offered by Hogue. They were selling them at the IRC this year Carmoney picked up a set.

Yeah, I sorta like the rubber big butts, too. Shot them on my Open 627 (that I recently set up!) at the Big Dawg, they worked just fine.

Last I heard, Bob Perdue (slflr) had them in stock. I believe Bob set up a special website for the grips: www.bigbutts.com

I had to vote for the Miculek grips I bought when Mike C decided to get rid of them. I still use them but not on everything.

I also have a pair of Hogues that are checkered that are actually my favorite and if they were not so damned expensive, I would change out the others to this style. I really like the checkering. Grips are same design as the rubber.

As for thumb pain, I talked to Pat Hogue one year at the S&W Winter IDPA Match. He knew exactly what caused the bruising and showed where to relieve the grip for the Miculek and for my wood Hogues. No more pain that isn't there all the time.

Show me where when we get to the Nationals, Please!

I won't be there, but I will try to e mail a decent explanation.

I believe Bob set up a special website for the grips: www.bigbutts.com

I'm not sure I want to try that website from the office computer... <_<

Pretty sure is't gonna be one of those :surprise: moments!

GreggK, Hogue is definitely BS'n ya, but with the popularity of Dremels anymore they probably figure that all grips will feel their high pitched grinding fury.

Bob Purdue is a Hogue Dealer.

Round Gun, thanks it'd be appreciated.

Nemo I'd definitely be careful of bigbutts.com, sounds way to tempting.

I'm still trying to figure out if Carmoney is talking of Revolvers?

Hogue definitely needs a catchy T-Shirt, something like:

"Feeling my Rubber Big Butts is free,

Drooling on 'em costs 39.95"

Thanks a lot Carmoney, now my wife is mad at me! :surprise:

I am glad I googled first, but then I have heard of Carmoney and his evil ways. And don't tell Clif there is a picture of Nemos Rubber Big Butt here. I don't think he would really understand :)

HEY PSKYS 2,

Hows about posting a discription of the mods to the JM's on the left side that Hogue told you about, PLEASE, pretty PLEASE? I for one, would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks,

Granderojo

PS. I have JM's on both of my S&Ws (625 & 686) And a BEAUTIFUL set on the 625 complements of NEMO (Thanks again very much Nemo)

HEY PSKYS 2,

Hows about posting a discription of the mods to the JM's on the left side that Hogue told you about, PLEASE, pretty PLEASE? I for one, would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks,

Granderojo

PS. I have JM's on both of my S&Ws (625 & 686) And a BEAUTIFUL set on the 625 complements of NEMO (Thanks again very much Nemo)

And don't tell Clif there is a picture of Nemos Rubber Big Butt here. I don't think he would really understand :)

He wouldn't. <_< Thanks, Bubber.

Nemo I am sorry I should have just PMed you for a picture. :rolleyes::cheers:

HEY PSKYS 2,

Thanks,

Granderojo

It is a basic relief of a manufactured high point on the grip. Starting at the top of the back strap and moving down along the cylinder release side of the grip, there is a "peak" in the grip design. The inside of the thumb of a right handed shooter rests over this peak. It has to go away.

Pat Hogue explained that by relieving the high point, the thumb no longer is hit by that hight point. I started at the top and worked my way down using a sharp pocket knife to relieve as little as possible trying the grip often until the mountainous peak was smoothed off.

Then I took 400grit paper and smoothed it out until I had a good contour that looked like it was original to the grip. A little tongue oil, and it looked like it had always been that way.

I just got back from a steel match and have been on the road since 0530. I will find my camera tomorrow and take pics of the grips so you get an idea. It does not take a lot of wood removal to solve the problem.

Pat also stated if I sent the grips to him, he would take care of it. Nice guy :)

I hope the pic I have here come up but this is the area that needs attention.

Gary

post-2631-1187391073.jpg

HEY PSKYS 2,

Thanks,

Granderojo

I'm the one pleading, not the one with insite.

What whittling I've done is to relieve the lower part of the curve and forward part of the ear on the left side so that the moon clips fall free. Then I round off the edges. But when I practice heavy it still opens up my thumb joint. Plus I always seem to have an occassional flyer to the left. Me thinks it's "my" grip problem. I haven't noticed it with the Rubber Hogues though. I do the same whittle job on the Rubber Hogues as I did on the JM grips.

I don't have a digital camera so it may be best to show up at the Nats and see for yourself. :closedeyes:

Edited by pskys2

Has anybody ever tried actually rounding the back edge of the frame itself . I am conisdering this , but not sure how much metal is there to work with. Not talking a lot , but just contouring the frame with the grip for some relief from the Major Powered 45's.

Granderojo

What whittling I've done is to relieve the lower part of the curve and forward part of the ear on the left side so that the moon clips fall free. Then I round off the edges. But when I practice heavy it still opens up my thumb joint. Plus I always seem to have an occassional flyer to the left. Me thinks it's "my" grip problem. I haven't noticed it with the Rubber Hogues though. I do the same whittle job on the Rubber Hogues as I did on the JM grips.

I totally removed the ears at the top on both sides of my JM's. I just cut 'em off level (hacked off the whole ear), and had 'em beveled, sanded and revarnished. That way I can mate my thumb directly on the metal frame with a "thumbs forward" grip that allows me to better point at the target. That damn little wood bump can really throw off your aim IMHO. When you can point your thumbs without having to bend them around that "ear", it is most helpful, and just plain feels better.;)

Here are my current grips. Modified Hogue anatomic whiz-o-weird-grips. They are clad with plastic pudding and then covered with silicon carbide grit. As a southpaw the swelling at the right side (which gives fantastic grip for the palm of the support hand) is a bit problematic when shooting weak hand. Of course you have to place the hand at the right position after reloading but it is hard to place it wrong. Right now I'm modifying some wooden grips to make some inbetween JM's and Hogue monogrips. I really like to experiment :rolleyes:

whiz-o-weird-grip_left.jpgwhiz-o-weird-grip_right.jpg

Here are my current grips. Modified Hogue anatomic whiz-o-weird-grips. They are clad with plastic pudding and then covered with silicon carbide grit. As a southpaw the swelling at the right side (which gives fantastic grip for the palm of the support hand) is a bit problematic when shooting weak hand. Of course you have to place the hand at the right position after reloading but it is hard to place it wrong. Right now I'm modifying some wooden grips to make some inbetween JM's and Hogue monogrips. I really like to experiment :rolleyes:

whiz-o-weird-grip_left.jpgwhiz-o-weird-grip_right.jpg

Looks like you took lessons from Bjorn :)

Edit to add: Has anyone heard from SPOOK???????

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Last time I heard anything about Spook he was going to Production Division. Since then not a sound.

SPOOK!!! Stop lurking and give us a sign... :D

It is dangerous to upset the wheelie gods. I went to PD for two months but was forced back to RSD (not very reluctant) by all bad karma and evil stuff they cast upon me. Now I can feel the good side of the force again. B)