Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E3 Powder

3GunF1Guy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried E3 as well in .40 and it had just as much smoke with moly as Titegroup. Now the insides where a little cleaner and I was running around 180 PF with 4.2 or 4.4 (Had 4.2 on my box and 4.4 in my book lol). To me its not worth it over Universal Clays.

With 9mm had about the same results as Titegroup so there again I see no advantage over TG. I didn't do a head to head comparison against TG though. It isn't any worse than TG but I don't see it being any better. I know that 2.8 was only about 121 PF so I'll need at least 3.0 to make PF. The smoke was about the same as well.

3.0 grains of E3, 1.15 OAL and 147 Bear creeks gives me about a 134PF out of my eagle and springer 1911. I've been to buisy to really do a high round count test but I'll report back after my Oct IDPA match and might try the steel match as well. For some reason the 3.0 seemed less smokey than the 2.8?

• 2 months later...

I've loaded and shot several hundred rounds with E3 and Precision Delta Jacketed open base bullets. I know they aren't the coated but I'm out of those right now.

I'm loading 180 gr Jacketed .40 S&W with 4.1 gr. of E3 and shooting out of a stock STI Edge. Accuracy is good and now after shooting 400 rounds I don't feel like I need to do a thorough cleaning. In fact I don't feel like I need to clean it at all. Before I was shooting Precision coated 185 gr with HP 38 and TG. Both were dirty as hell and very smokey. My gun would get so dirty I would have to clean after about 300 rounds or risk a failure. I'm sure the jacketed bullets make some difference but with the exposed lead base I can't imagine it is a huge difference.

I will post chrono results when I get it done. Probably won't be able to use a chrono for a few more weeks.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I've been using the E3 for a while now.

Good powder for lead or moly bullets. I could not get plated or jacketed bullets to make power factor without signs of pressure in my .40.

I use a 180 moly loaded to 1.195". My six inch Bedell with KKM barrel loves them, 172 PF. My edge and trojan both come out at 168 PF with the same load of 4.0gr of E3.

they do smoke, less than TG. I'm in the desert so humidity here is not high and i really don't notice the smoke.

The powder is much cleaner than TG and my guns are not so sooty after a days practice.

I'll think I'll stick with it for now.

How does E3 fill the case compared to TG?---------------Larry

It fills the case well. It is a large round flake like Clays.

I've been using 4.1 grains with a 180 grain jacket bullet for about 1000 rounds now and no pressure signs. Also using range brass.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I'm sold on E3. I've been tinkering with it for a month or so now. I really don't feel much if any differance from titegroup. But my pistol doesn't get near as hot or dirty. Using 4.05 grains with a molly coated 180, 1.19 OAl gives me 170PF (950fps) 40SW of course.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone else put a lot of rounds through their gun with E3?

I have about 6-7k rounds of my E3 loads through my stock STI bull barrel and the base of the lands are ate away. I've been running 4.3 gr of E3 with 180 grain jacketed Precision Delta bullets at about 930-950 fps. The round count, pressure and speed don't seem to me to be the culprit. The only things I can think of that could cause this is either the powder or a defect in the barrel. BTW, the total round count on the barrel is less than 20k.

Anyone else run a lot of E3 yet? How is your barrel doing?

Chris

By ate away do you mean that they taper off towards the chamber.

I don't know the round count of my pistol, but I have put about 7lbs of E3 through it and that is what my barrel looks like

So I checked out my back up gun and it looks the same, maybe that's how its supposed to be

On mine there are grooves running along both sides of all the lands at the base where the lands meet the grooves. It seems like the gas ate it away all the way down the barrel. It may be a little worse as it gets closer to the chamber.

Either way, I don't think the barrel is supposed to wear like this. At least not this fast.

Chris

• 3 months later...

Has anyone loaded a 170gr lead SWC bullet using e3 in .40? If so what COL were you loading at and what kind of charge were you using?

I plan to use e3 with 180s mainly but I have a fair amount of the 170s laying around that need to be shot up.

• 11 months later...

Well some other people have checked in but no responses yet. But I worked up some loads for a bone stock Hk USP. I am using mixed cases with Berry's 124 gr hollow point bullet loaded to 1.07", CCI SR primers. 3.0 gr of e3 did not cycle my gun consistantly, 3.3 I got 3 stove pipes out of 100, 3.5 was accurate and no cycling problems. Like posters mentioned before everything seemed cooler, and gun was very clean after a few hundred rounds. I am going to bump it up a bit more to see if accuracy tightens up. I don't have access to a chrono right now, but hopefully soon.

Edited by oxnardkid

Hello, I hope people still check this topic. This will be my first post here. I have been reloading 9mm for a while and just started reading about using e3 powder. I saw loads here for 147gr bullets in 9mm but how about some 124gr e3 9mm loads. Thank you.

From Page 2 of this thread.

--snip

With 125 zero JHP's, 4.3 gr @ 1.165" OAL, WSP, I got 139 PF out of a 5" bbl.

snip--

I just ran some 9mm loads through the chrono yesterday as well as last Sunday.

With 3.6 grains of E3 and a 147gr Montana Gold bullet OAL of 1.14 I was getting a 954 fps avg/140.2 pf shot through a fairly new CZ SP-01 Phantom.

Also through the Phantom I tried a the Montana Gold 147gr bullet w/3.4 gr or E3 OAL of 1.119 and got a 928 avg/136.5pf.

Had some leftover Master Blaster 150 gr 38 super bullets (actually measured 148gr) and with 3 grains of E3 still got a 932 avg/137.9 pf but too much smoke.

From Page 2 of this thread.

--snip

With 125 zero JHP's, 4.3 gr @ 1.165" OAL, WSP, I got 139 PF out of a 5" bbl.

snip

I see it now, he snuck that line in under his 40 load. Seems like 4.3 would really fill the case, but he is loading his OAL longer, I will try a batch of those and shoot them this weekend. Thanks for pointing that out.

Tried out some more e3 loads this weekend. Same components and length. CCI SP primers, Berry's 124 HP, OAL 1.07". First with 3.6 grs - reliable and very accurate out of both a stock USP and S&W 5906, clean burning and no smoke. Next with 3.9 grs - I didn't change the OAL and I started to see flattened primers. I may try this load again with the bullets seated at a different length, but 3.6 worked so well I don't know if I will really need to if the chrono gives me good info.

With all due respect. The 1.07" OAL is bad news IMO. Why so short? Minimum COAL is 1.095 and thats short. You "should" be working in the 1.10 to 1.160 OAL area.

I use 1.150". Like I said, just my opinion. Its just that the 9mm is a SUPER high pressure round that is hyper sensitive to OAL.

Be careful.

Jim

Well some other people have checked in but no responses yet. But I worked up some loads for a bone stock Hk USP. I am using mixed cases with Berry's 124 gr hollow point bullet loaded to 1.07", CCI SR primers. 3.0 gr of e3 did not cycle my gun consistantly, 3.3 I got 3 stove pipes out of 100, 3.5 was accurate and no cycling problems. Like posters mentioned before everything seemed cooler, and gun was very clean after a few hundred rounds. I am going to bump it up a bit more to see if accuracy tightens up. I don't have access to a chrono right now, but hopefully soon.

Finally got some shots over a chrony, I kept the same OAL so not to introduce other variables. Both of these shot accurate with no pressure signs. Both guns very clean, but I only shot about 50 rounds out of each. Enjoy.

9mm, CCI SP, PMC brass, Berry's 124 HP, OAL 1.07", 3.6 gr e3.

H&K USP fullsize

1049 fps avg

45Auto, WIN WLP, Starline brass, Berry's 230 RN, OAL 1.27", 5.2 gr e3.

Taurus PT1011

874 fps avg

• 3 years later...

Been loading Berry's 180 plated HP with 3.9 grains of E3. The 1.2 OAL would not load more than one round in my Sig p226 mags, shortened to 1.17, got about 6 rounds in, then something was binding. OAL now set to 1.155 and it seems to work fine. About to go test a few hundred more today. Burns clean and no noticeable smoke, very interesting to shoot side by side with Power Pistol, much less recoil with the E3 loads. Need to chrono both to see how they compare. So far I like E3 for .40, need to try it for 9mm and .45 next.

• 1 month later...