Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI slide

steel1212

I just picked up a NEW unfited STI slide today and went to drop in the Firing pin and noticed it wouldn't go in all the way. Shined a light in there and saw what looked like metal. Now there is a hole in the breech face that you can put a paper clip maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch in. Would it be possible just to put the slide on a drill press and finish it out or should I return it and wait another 2 weeks?

Sure the firing pin is the right size?

40, 38S & 9 use a 38s firing pin and I have even seen a couple 45s that used it, no many only 2.

Also make sure its not just shavings.

If you got the right pin and its not just some lose metal send it back.

Agree with Matt, try that first. If that doesn't work call and ask for Chris, tell him what you have going on and see what he says. STI is a good company and Chris is a BIG part of that, if it isn't right they will make it that way. Understand that with the volume they produce it might not be RIGHT NOW that they make it right but they will take care of it.

Some fireing pins are .069-.070 & don't fit most STI slides, the .065-.067 ones do.

Thanks for the advice guys I'll look into it a little further.

Also its not the firing pin size, it is not possible for ANY firing pin to make it down the tunnel as there is something blocking the tunnel towards breech face side. The pin I have will fit through the hole on the breech face and enter about 1/2 inch before it meets what ever is blocking it.

Edited by steel1212

Hello: Look in the hole to see if there is a burr where the tapped hole is for the Bo-Mar sight. Thanks, Eric

Eric, its not a "burr" you can't see light through ithe tunnel at all. Its either a shaving wedged in there or something else.

I don't think its something that is "blastable" I think if its anything other than solid its a shaving that has gotten wedge down in there some how. I'm having my gunsmith look at it today after the match and I'll go from there.

The last two slides I got from STI/Brownells had to be returned due to poor quality. What was really odd is even though both were .40 slides they looked like they came from different companies. They for darn sure did not have the same machine cuts.

I won't be using a STI slide again.

...Or just use a bigger hammer!

It turned out to be some metal "flash" that filled in the smaller hole when they milled the larger hole (in the back end). Probably the last slide milled before swapping out the bits.

SHHHH, don't tell the secret to STI slides!