Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuff I saw while running shooters at a big match

Flexmoney

I was just thinking...as Match Director for the upcoming Ohio Section Championships...that it might be nice to stick a no-shoot target somewhere near the start position, and write on there nice and big what the start position is...

Hmmmm.

That would be a good idea for all matches. Every now and then someone will staple the stage briefing on the stage itself and you can't get to it. It is also hard to find when stapled to a table where shooting bags get piled.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not put a copy each stage description in the shooters envelope with the score sheets???????

Seems EZPZ to me

Not a bad idea.

Some competitors might find it useful.

Others wouldn't bother to read it if you tattooed it on their forearm.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

Why not put a copy each stage description in the shooters envelope with the score sheets???????

Well, you do get the stage descriptions in the match book at major matches. The bigger problem is the actual start position, which often is not finalized until just before the match. The challenge is that the stages are always different on paper than they are 'on the ground'... ;)

I would like to see the whole preamble wiped out. I really don't care who designed the stage, I think we all know what match we're shooting, really could care less what the RO's name is unless we start getting playboy bunny RO teams, the rules are the same, and there is a banner for the stage sponsor.

Same crap for shooter meetings....welcome to....the weather is.... there are some 180 issues....now a word from my buddy that wants your vote....and don't forget to support our sponsors and vendors.....

How about Round count is...Number of paper Number of steel, start position, comstock or virgin count, stage procedure...you have 5 minutes.

I would like to see the whole preamble wiped out. I really don't care who designed the stage, I think we all know what match we're shooting, really could care less what the RO's name is unless we start getting playboy bunny RO teams, the rules are the same, and there is a banner for the stage sponsor.

Same crap for shooter meetings....welcome to....the weather is.... there are some 180 issues....now a word from my buddy that wants your vote....and don't forget to support our sponsors and vendors.....

How about Round count is...Number of paper Number of steel, start position, comstock or virgin count, stage procedure...you have 5 minutes.

I'm pretty much behind you on the concept, but... our sponsors support us, and deserve the recognition, and we do have to cover everything under 3.2. Personally, I think describing the 'start position' is usually what consumes much of the WSB anymore. I always try to cut them down, but the challenge is exactly defining the start position so everyone starts from the same position. Putting the bare minimum in the start position often leads to 'you did not say I could not do that' discussions. It's kind of a fine line, but part of the reason the CRO is there to make sure that everyone runs the same stage, every time... ;)

Now this is starting to sound good to me.

Playboy bunnies for RO's

Stage descriptions that give the virgin count.

Man, sign me up for that match. ;)

Tony

Edited by 38superman

BTW.

To drift the thread back to the original subject, I noticed some interesting trends when I started video taping matches.

Two things really jumped out at me.

One was I was surprised by how much "creeping" I saw when I played back the tapes.

Another thing was how much other shooters would encroach on the stage while someone is still shooting.

One match in particular had a cooper tunnel about halfway down the bay.

The shooter was barely clear of it before the next shooter entered it making a practice run.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

Yeah. there is way too much BS in that stage briefing. After shooting IDPA. i actually zone out i don't give a shit about the story I'm here to shoot! if i wanted a good story i'd be home watching TV

The finger thing is a big deal to me, when i know a shooter has been told 3 times this year his finger is in the trigger guard. Sooner or later there will be a bang! i hate to see that happen to anyone.

Just because others have started doesn't mean we were watching... on our stage at A8 you were 30 yards from the shooter with their body between the start position and the spectators.

HERE IS MY RANT!!!!!! sweeping.. what is USPSA's stance on that anyway.. ok with an unloaded gun. i know a BUNCH of people literally put their hand in front of the muzzle when holstering. I'm very very glad our stage started with gun on table.

Something else I noticed are that magazine gauges are becoming more and more prevalent. Don't get bumped because your equipment isn't legal.

Yes, I saw Jeff had his mag gauge out at the Summer Blast. I saw a few out last weekend too.

I have nothing to fear, but the unknown. Have never had mine checked out ..... mostly because I keep buying more gear evey week, it seems ..... wouldn't be bad to get all my mags checked out. ;)

Don't worry Chris...I'll be at the Ohio Sectional. I would advise coming and seeing me BEFORE you shoot though. It really sucked sending 2 people to the "just for fun" division at Summer Blast. It was way too blatant to not notice though, when my first two squads each had a guy who dropped a "big stick" with +2's on 'em (hmmm....that looks odd...). One guy was even an "M class" shooter! After that, the mag guage came out, and we started checking everybody. I only checked the mags they shot with on my stage...didn't go out of my way to ding anybody. After a while, the competitors started asking me to measure them BEFOREHAND during the 5 minutes...smart cookies up there in PA. ;)

Edited by Barrettone

I went to a major IDPA match a few months ago. I was on a fast squad, and we were constantly waiting on the squad ahead of us. Throughout the day I watched a shooter break the 180, and she made more finger violations than I have ever seen. Not once did the SO say anything. Finally, towards the end of the day, I watched her come around a prop, point her gun straight up in the air with her finger on the trigger. The SO didn't say anything. I yelled "finger". Her husband immediately came over to confront me. "That's not your job!!!" he yells. "Safety is everyones job" I say. "That was very distracting" he says. "I've watched her do dangerous things all day long, and I'm tired of it". Maybe it's not in the official rulebook, but it was ridiculous watching what happened.

Had I not been going backwards and had the nature of the cof not required that I be quite a few steps further away from the shooter...

There probably could have been about a dozen DQ's.

Kyle, do you think the COF on this stage you SO'd sacrificed a certain amount of safety? After three pages of posts, no one brought this up.

Steve Moneypenny brought up a great point. I see people sweeping themselves all the time when they holster up.

Kyle, do you think the COF on this stage you SO'd sacrificed a certain amount of safety? After three pages of posts, no one brought this up.

No, not on this one. It could be on other stages/shooting bays. Here, you were seated and all the targets were at ground level. Plenty of berm. And, being strapped into the seat, shooters would have had to been made of rubber to get past ...say 185 degrees. (though some tried awful hard)

What I worry about...and why I mentioned it here...is that shooters probably have their finger in the trigger guard far more often than they think they do.

Steve Moneypenny brought up a great point. I see people sweeping themselves all the time when they holster up.

10.5.5 Allowing the muzzle of a handgun to point at any part of the

competitor’s body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping) other

than while drawing from a holster or re-holstering.

That is certainly something the shooters needs to pay attention too. While it is not a rule violation in this instance, the responsibility for the muzzle certainly belongs to the shooter. I don't think we had any slip by us that didn't already have the Unload And Show Clear...If Clear Hammer Down And Holster. Then again...'the gun is always loaded'.

Kyle, we posted the stage info for Stage 5 on a no shoot, put it at the front of the tent, along with a big number 5 so shooters knew for sure what stage it was.

Had to get them to move up from there to the front for the WSB. Still, it helped.

I didn't think there was a 180 rule in IDPA? Or did that changed?

You're right! Page 6 of the IDPA rulebook: S1B. A 180 degree rule does not exist and will not be grounds for DQ.

There is mention of "Muzzle Safe Points". Anyway, I'm going to drop this now before we hijack this thread and turn it into an IDPA 'rules' debate. That wasn't my intention. I am constantly concerned with safety, and I get carried away.

You're right! Page 6 of the IDPA rulebook: S1B. A 180 degree rule does not exist and will not be grounds for DQ.

There is mention of "Muzzle Safe Points". Anyway, I'm going to drop this now before we hijack this thread and turn it into an IDPA 'rules' debate. That wasn't my intention. I am constantly concerned with safety, and I get carried away.

Not to get political , but...

YOU MEAN they worry about all the reload from cover and reload with retention etc.... and don't have safety rules in the game to protect the participants??????? :surprise:

I am sorry, but WTF?????

Not to get political , but...

YOU MEAN they worry about all the reload from cover and reload with retention etc.... and don't have safety rules in the game to protect the participants??????? :surprise:

I am sorry, but WTF?????

Z,

At major IDPA matches each stage has Muzzle Safe Points on each side. They may or may not match what would be considered 180. Sometimes they are more restrictive and other time less so that the 180 in a bay. MSP's also allow setting up a stage where there is no actual berm, just a very dense forest full of trees. During the briefing these MSP (Mostly bright orange tape or paint) will be pointed out. Break them and you are headed home. Before our local indoor range burned down, the MSP's for our weekly IDPA matches were the same as the 180.

Bruce