Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

those nasty .22 cases

so I finally had it, I broke a ton of primer punches last week due to .22 cases being in my 9mm cases when running the 1050. Never had such a bad run of luck with .22 cases. I guess that's what happens when you have people shooting .22 on your Skills and Drills nights and you just sweep up the brass and take it home.

So what did I do? well I attacked my Midway brass separator (you know the thing that you use to get rid of the media after tumbling) and opened up all the slots to about 7mm. Now when I get home with brass and quickly run it through the separator to get rid of all the dust and wood and crap, the .22 cases fall out as well. Did a test run by dumping in a known amount of .22 cases and within 10 revolutions all were in the bottom of the bucket. my Dremeling job looks a bit rough, as I tried a few different bits, but it works and it works great.

That is a great idea. :) Now if I could find a way to get those damn .380 out as well. I'm getting tired of digging them out of my case feeder. :P

+1,000 HELL YEAH!

WHen I am cranking along with the 650, the only way I notice those darn .380s is that the KISS doesn't drop a bullet on the case.

Great idea on the dremel tool... I might be looking into that today. :cheers:

I'll post a pic when I get home next week. At the Canadian IPSC Nats this week and am staying at a friends to avoid the rush hour drive in the morning. But it's almost emarassing how rough the Dremel job is. My Dremel Foo is weak.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll post a pic when I get home next week. At the Canadian IPSC Nats this week and am staying at a friends to avoid the rush hour drive in the morning. But it's almost emarassing how rough the Dremel job is. My Dremel Foo is weak.

Take a cardboard box with low sides dump the cleaned brass into it and shake it once the .45ACP brass will be up right and you can look in to the case mouth and see if you have picked up s stow-a-way.

Chief-7700

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
My favorite is a 9mm inside a .40 inside a .45!!

Well, my favorite is when you have a 9 stuck inside two 40's at the same time, or a 40 stuck inside two 45's simultaneously.

It's like a chinese finger puzzle, the larger cases are mouth to mouth.

Argggh...

Here's a closely related question......................

Does anyone have a great idea on how to recycle (for a profit) the .22 cases????????

I shoot at an indoor range that often throws 5 gallon buckets full into the trash. In this period of expensive reloading materials.. there should be a way I can salvage them for a few bucks.

Corbin swage press, the correct dies, and some lead wire, with an accurate wire cutter and you can make 55 grain, IIRC, FMJ like projectiles for your AR with all those .22 LR cases.

There was a recent article in one of the "gunzines" about it.

Otherwise sell it to a scrap yard/recycling center.

• 1 month later...