Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrome lined AR barrels

Nemo

What does the chrome lined AR barrels do different than non-lined?

Local gun shop "expert" (after explaining that what he looks for in his "black rifles" is their tactical worthyness, not necessarily the accuracy that "you competition shooting types" want) told me that teh function is only to avoid oxidation. Any other difference? Reliability, accuracy?

Gracias!

Chrome lined chambers and barrels last much longer under full auto fire before erosion or corosion make them un servicable

Most if not all barrels I know of that are chromed have NATO spec chambers.

Nato chambers allow for ANY NATO spec ammo to function...Larger margin of error.

Most of our match rifles will have a wylde chamber..it is closer tollerance than NATO..but not quite true 223 remington.

In the real world ..or for LE the chrome is more reliable.

For the best accuracy Wyld for AR15s....223 remington for bolt guns.

Jim

Chrome lined chambers and barrels last much longer under full auto fire before erosion or corosion make them un servicable

Most if not all barrels I know of that are chromed have NATO spec chambers.

Nato chambers allow for ANY NATO spec ammo to function...Larger margin of error.

Most of our match rifles will have a wylde chamber..it is closer tollerance than NATO..but not quite true 223 remington.

In the real world ..or for LE the chrome is more reliable.

For the best accuracy Wyld for AR15s....223 remington for bolt guns.

Jim

Aren't they easier to clean?

Nemo,

Mi amigo! Definitely not a need to have, but their kinda nice 'cause they're cheaper (usually) than stainles barrels (my preference). As for their corrosion resistence, well I suppose they probably do last longer than non-lined, but that would make sense (coated/protected vs. not). Do they improve accuracy? Probably not. Extend barrel life? Maybe, but with a 1-2 MOA "need" for 3-Gun rifles, does it really matter?

Just my (bitter) $0.02.

Rich

For those of you to young to remember a place called Viet Nam the primary reason for the chrome lining was to slow the corrosion problem. Then there was another problem when they changed powder but that is another story. If you are using the gun for our game and take normal care of your equipment it will not make any difference if it is chromed lined or not. The biggest concern for accuracy is to determine what bullet weight you are going to use and buy a barrel with the correct twist.

They had been chrome lining barrel long befor the South East Asian adventure, depending on when you think we got involved, but the original spec on the M-14 was with a chrome lined barrel. H&R and TRW ( the most consistent chromers) were lining barrels in the late 50s. KURTM

I've had a few conversations with a local gun dealer about this subject. He insists that you should stay away from chrome lined barrels because they aren't accurate. He doesn't shoot 3-gun, or compete at all to my knowledge. I told him that I'll gladly take 1" groups at 100 yds over 1/2" groups if that means greater reliability and barrel life. He just doesn't seem to know what this shooting is all about.

Accuracy is relative. Of course we can use all the accuracy we can get, but you can reach the point of diminishing returns. If you take the size of group your rifle shoots, and subtract it from the diameter of the target, you will get the 'sure hit' target size, or maximum area that you can hold in to be assured of a hit (not counting hold over, or under). Assuming 10" plates a 1 moa rifle will give you a 9" sure hit area at 100 yds, 8" at 200, 7" at 300, and 6" at 400. A 1/2 moa rifle will be 9 1/2, 9, 8 1/2, and 8. Not a whole lot of difference there, but some. A 2" rifle will give you only a 2" diameter aiming area to be assured of a hit on a 400 yard target. That's pretty small. Not too many shooters can hold within 2" at that range, especially under match or field conditions. It may take several shots to make a hit that may have been possible with one shot out of a more accurate rifle. But then, in a match with relatively few long range targets it may not be a huge impact on your score. Then, if you go to the US military standard of 4 moa (max), you can see that the sure hit hold area goes to zero at 250. At 400 you have a 16" group size, and making a hit becomes pretty iffy, with luck being a big factor.

Yeah, that 1/2 minute rifle would be nice, but would running a higher risk of getting an FTE at a bad moment (is there a good moment?) and getting half the barrel life be worth it? I think 1" is a good compromise accuracy level to strive for.

Right now I'm running a POF upper (chrome lined everything). I've traded some accuracy for extreme reliability. But, maybe too much. I need to do some more range work with it, but the last time I was at the range it seemed to start stringing the shots vertically when the barrel got hot. I hope it was just me. The upper was too expensive to dump it.

Sorry for the long windedness. It's just my way of saying that I'll take a good free floated chrome lined barrel (with NATO chamber) over a tight, full out "match", un-lined barrel. On the other hand, I'm not biting on the heels of anyone named Benny, either! If I was shooting at that level, maybe I'd go for more accuracy. My sponsor could pick up the tab for new barrels! :D

Reduced wear and easier cleaning are 2 benefits you will see.

The chrome lining is Industrial Hard Chrome, which has a much higher Rockwell Hardness than the barrel steel. Therefore you get reduced wear.

Since it is a plating operation, you also get a smoother finish (not necessarily as uniform as the barrel blank), which reduces fouling. The non uniformity of the plating is what may reduce your accuracy, but the barrel WILL last a lot longer and be easier to clean.

5Shot

In our neck of the woods 400 yard plus..is quite normal to find in a match.

Other places matches 300 yards or less seems to be normal.

I think just about ANY AR will shoot well enough for those close 300 yard shots.

Out at 400 or 500 mill spec barrels will be at a disadvantage, that is not to say it cant be done.

I prefer high end barrels over GI type stuff...ALL of the top 3 gun folks I know here localy have top notch stuff...nothing less!!!!

Please dont get me wrong...I am not bad mouthing any AR builders barrels or telling you to buy any certain barrel.

When I go to Rocky Mountain Three gun...and shoot with the Big boys...I want to know my equipment wont be the weakest link.

Jim

I agree with that entirely. That's why I prefer chrome lined barrels and piston operating systems. Reliability first. Unfortunately you give up a little in accuracy. So, I don't know. I'm thinking of saving pennies and try to get a JP upper next year to go on the CMMG lower I won at the NW Multigun. People seem to have good luck with them, even though they aren't chrome lined. I do appreciate a good tack driver.

Unfortunately I come with a pre-existing weak link - my brain! No matter how good my equipment, I'll over think a stage and/or have a brain fart right in the middle of it!

• 2 weeks later...

All I use is chrome lined barrels and they all easily get 2MOA, some are capable of 1MOA if I do my part.

Chrome lined barrels with 5.56mm chambers are more reliable. Reliability is more important to me than a marginal increase in accuracy.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

My family's both Armalite chrome lined AR-10 and AR-15 carbine can shoot group size 7.5cm at 300m with hand loaded ammo.

I prefer chromelined barrels over non chromed in IPSC and 3gun matches.

For real accuracy I will prefer stainless barrels.

What I want is a rifle and barrel that's 100% reliable, will last +100,000 rounds, and shoots .25" groups at 100 yds. with Wolf ammo! Oh, and that never has to be cleaned! Anyone heard of a gun like that?

Take your pic of 22 Long Rifle bolt guns. Wolf 22LR is supposed to be verry accurate.