Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another 6" thread

zhunter

I have one of the 1st of the Fat Free Long Slides and LOVE IT! Have never looked back.

Renees gun was back in the shop not too long ago for a update and tune up. That thing must have 200 thouand rounds thur it, still tight and going strong.---------Larry

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a G24 6" that i shoot with 185 black bullets,,seems to be nose heavy..but the extra sight rad comes in handy..i had a long slide springer a few years back and it was super slow..i think if i was gonna shoot a 6" s-i type the benny gun would be the way to go..

Just out of curiosity could you shoot a 5 inch Fat Free .45 in IDPA CDP?

Nope, no slide lightening allowed.

However, I bet Benny could lighten the inside of the slide and no one at and IDPA match would be the wiser.

But all the fat free guns I have seen have had holes in them and IDPA frowns on that.

I do think wide bodies are the sizzle for IDPA though. I have a 9mm for ESP (see avatar). Reloads are nice with the doublestack. Plus if you wanted to you could download 45 to 125 pf and shoot ESP.

There must be something to it, because I read on the forum that TGO used a 6" gun to win L-10. AND I don't want to hear the crap that he could win with anything he shoots, because, also remember, he can shoot anything he chooses. So, why does he choose a 6" gun?

He also choose a single-stack... ?

(I like the idea of lightened 6in guns...just wanted to mention that other thing.)

I think this one is pretty darn sweet looking..... post-354-1171402826.jpg

I think that is the best looking fat free to date. Merlin dosent think so, but Merlin dont count for much on that subject. I like it better every time I pull it out of my shooting bag.-----------------Larry

I think this one here is pretty ...But then it is my baby...Had it for almost a year 3 uspsa matches per month plus practice...no malfunctions...accurate and exceptionally smooooth...oh yea :cheers:

Oh yea Flex shot it at the Indiana sectional

post-4434-1183146999.jpg

Edited by nipplehead

Here is a pic of mine, in the white after the first trip to the range for a shake-down. It really looks pretty cool out in the sunlight, and should look even better in chrome. This is the one 'squishy' is running the snot out of, nearly 5K rounds without a malfunction was the last report I had. I only have 350 rounds through it, TOPS!!! LIGHT 6" guns are the way to go!!post-7366-1177734367.jpg

Here is a pic of mine, in the white after the first trip to the range for a shake-down. It really looks pretty cool out in the sunlight, and should look even better in chrome. This is the one 'squishy' is running the snot out of, nearly 5K rounds without a malfunction was the last report I had. I only have 350 rounds through it, TOPS!!! LIGHT 6" guns are the way to go!!post-7366-1177734367.jpg

Yea yours is very cool...you did an exceptional job HSmith...beautiful piece dude

Thanks guys. This particular gun is pretty extreme, well lighter overall than anything comparable I have ever seen and it is going to get lighter when I switch back from Open. There is as much or more machining that you can't see as there is machining you can see.

Every single person that has shot it wants a light 6". Have them push the front sight around in the notch and shoot it, the light comes on, and they are digging in the couch cushions for change. The guys that can actually call a shot just go nuts for it!!! With the exposure they have had lately and TGO winning the nationals with a light slide 6" the demand is going to go up pretty drastically IMO. As more people drink the 6" cool-aid it will only get worse. Benny is the originator, and builds REALLY fine guns. I will only be building a couple very special guns per year split between Open guns and Limited guns since it is more or less a sideline for me that I enjoy, and Benny can only make so many of them per year. I have a feeling Benny is going to be working his butt off!!!

Yeah Darryl, I think I still want it back. Dave and Randy are a lot more worried about when I get it back than I am LOL. Hopefully I will get it back right as you finish training it to kick every one elses butts and I can get in on a little of that action with it :goof:

You are certainly welcome, if it were here one of two things would have happened, it would have rusted shut in the locker or I wouldn't have been able to resist the temptation to shoot it and I would have stopped shooting Open. As nice as yours is coming out maybe we could just trade :surprise: :surprise:

drifty question: is it important to use a bushing barrel, or would a lightened Bull do the same thing? What if I had it fluted? I like the look of the Bull, but 6 inchers are all about the function.

I'm getting serious....

Venri and I are chatting..... :rolleyes:

drifty question: is it important to use a bushing barrel, or would a lightened Bull do the same thing? What if I had it fluted? I like the look of the Bull, but 6 inchers are all about the function.

I'm getting serious....

Venri and I are chatting..... :rolleyes:

I,ve had both, my first fat free was a fluted bull barrel. There is a 1 1/4 oz diffrence and that weight is right out on the end of the pistol, out on the end of that lever if you will. It was a really nice pistol but it dipped on return, reguardless of load or spring, it dipped. The bushing gun I have now is just over 35 ozs, shoots flatter, looks better and dosent dip. Go with the bushing. Talk with Benny before you commit to anything.--------------Larry

I had a chance to shoot with Benny and Merlin today. I shot three or four 6" fat free guns that Benny built. Can't wait for mine. I think I am 3rd in line at this moment.

Benny and Merlin are a hoot to shoot with.

Jerry

Jerry: I was one of the other shooters you shot with today. I think Benny set you up for the Fat Free experience. After all, you got to see 4 different Fat Free's and also shoot some of them. So I guess a 40 Fat Free is in your future. It was nice to shoot with you and hope to see you soon. Thanks, Eric

I love my Glock 24. I know totally different than the Benny Hill guns and the other S-I custom guns out there but I like the extra sight radius and extra weight out front. IF I were going to have a gun built I would really think about a 6" gun.

I too have been considering the advantage of a 6" gun.

Just for grins I decided to do some calculations to quantify the advantage of the longer sight radius.

Obviously, with a perfect sight picture both 5" and 6" guns will shoot to the same point of impact.

I grant that barrel length will affect velocity thus changing point of impact, but I am referring to line of sight only.

My calculations are based on what happens when both guns have a horizontal sight mis-alignment.

I used a sight picture that was off by half the width of the front sight.

What happens is that "sweet spots" appear at various distances (using metric target).

For example, at around 10 yds downrange there is a zone about 4 feet deep where a "C" hit becomes an "A".

Any closer and both shots are Alphas, further away and both shots are Charlies.

At roughly 25 yds downrange there is a sweet spot about 10 feet deep where Deltas become Charlies.

At roughly 35 yds downrange there is a sweet spot about 15 feet deep where Mikes become Deltas.

The depth and distance of these zones varies based on the amount of sight misalignment.

It appears that as the sight picture gets worse the sweet spots get smaller and closer.

Okay, so just what does that mean in terms of points?

That parts just guess work.

Depends on how many shots land in those sweet spots and of those, how many are borderline shots.

In a match with a 300 round count, there are 1500 points available

Turn just one Mike into a Delta and pick up 12 points.

It shouldn't be a stretch to think I could pick up at least 30 or 40 points in a major match.

That's the equivalent point total for a speed shoot stage added to the score.

Pretty nice bonus.

Let's see ...... where did I put Benny's number?

Tls

Edited by 38superman

Or it could be 20%, take your pick.

Not quite. The sight radius on a 5 inch gun is about 6.75 inches, and on a 6 incher about 7.75. The difference in sight radius is about 14.5%. Still considerable in my book. I've only shot the 6 inch a few times; loved it every time.

-br

Edited by joker22