Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Surefire compensator really any different?

Leozinho

Surefire has a compensator out that the company touts as having less blast to sides and being easier on the folks shooting around you. The ad copy said that Michael Voight used one to win his last 3-Gun Nationals. (I can't remember if the ad claimed the compensator is not as loud as others. It might have.)

It's apparently very new, as I can't find it on Surefire's webpage or any reference on the Interweb.

Has anyone tried it? I'm a little skeptical, perhaps only because Surefire's ubiquitous glossy ads in the gun rags turn me out. But I'm willing to give up a little recoil reduction for a comp that isn't so harsh on those around me.

Thanks.

I took a class last year with Barry (Surefire's Suppressor Division Director). He had the compensator that Trap refers too except for .223. The comp was very impressive however I do not think it is offered as a stand alone compensator but rather as a package with the suppressor that attaches to it. $$$$$

I believe you can get them without the supressor. Lots of guys here in Calif have them. As far as being effective, they work great. I stood next to Barry shooting one on a 300win mag. with almost NO BLAST. I shot the 300 win mag offhand and was able to keep an IPSC target at 100 yds in the scope through the recoil. Probably the best comp for real world work where you will be around others.

Yep, the part number is the MB556K for the muzzle break attachment. I have one on a 20" DPMS limited rifle that I use to scare recruits. Pull it out on break and work the corners of a target at about .14 splits. Gun does not move unless I move it. It is a really effective design and doesn't seem too harsh either. Of course I don't think the Coolley comp is harsh though so what do I know. It's priced pretty similar to other comps of that quality. If anyone has any trouble getting one let me know and I'll check with SureFire. It's not listed on the site so it may only be available to Suppressor Dealers for sale.

Chris and Chuck,

Thanks for the info. When I was at the class with Barry it was still in development. Now that it is available as a stand alone compensator, yeehaw, cuz that thing flat ass works.

BTW on another note it was very interesting talking about comps and suppressors. It is amazing how many of the products we use are based solely on anecdotal evidence. Surefire has gone to a tremendous expense to arrive at their designs empirically and it definitely shows.

Edited by smokshwn

Yep, the part number is the MB556K for the muzzle break attachment.

That's the one I was thinking about.

PRI MSTN QC brake is also designed to reduce recoil while keeping the side blast down as well.

DNTC has one coming out that also is advertised to reduce recoil and eliminate/reduce muzzle flash.

There's a video of Matt Burkett firing a SBR with Guatemalan ammo on full auto with the DNTC comp/flash hider here: http://primaryweapons.com/default.asp?page...amp;parent_id=0 The frame rate of the video might distort how well it actually hides the flame, but it appears to do a good job. I've seen that ammo really put some flash out..

Really muzzle flash, rather than side blast, is more of a concern to me. This could be a very decent sized niche to fill for the right combination of compensator/flash hider. Right now most of the tactical crowd doesn't dare use a comp because of the idea that they shoot flames six feet out the end of the barrel.

Edited by Leozinho

I would start with calling Mark Hannish at the Scottsdale Gun Club, ( no I don't have the number, sorry ) He stock most all the Sure-Fire line of suppressors and comps ready to ship! KurtM

Edited to add....In Arizona in the Scottsdale area.

Edited by kurtm

I usually take two ARs when I go practice. One gun has a Cooley Comp that I use for 3 gun. The other one has a JP Tank brake to move people out of the way so I have plenty of room.

How do your 2 comps compare to each other?

The pdf file shows the MB556FA comp. Second from the right at the top. Buddy of mine just shot his for the first time yesterday and said it was awesome. Softer than his 20" rifle with a JP and this was on a 16" Rock River. You should be able to get them from any SureFire Suppressor Dealer. Email me and I'll get you some additional info. chuck@andersontactical.com

The tank break is a little more efficient. I use it on my Open rifle and the Cooley on my Limited rifle. I am cnsidering putting a brake on a 308 MOR rifle and would like additional info on the SureFire if they make it in .308.

Don't see a M556FA in the current catalog. They show a MB556K and MB556AR. Both seem a little pricey to me.

That's because SureFire keeps changing the dang part numbers on me. The part numbers you list are for the Muzzle Break adaptors. The K is the short one and the AR is the longer one that slips over the bbl. The AR is a little more effective. Not sure what you think is pricey. They seemed pretty much inline with other similar brakes. There is a lot of machining that goes into these muzzle breaks. In part because they need to be very dimensionally tight to mount the suppressor so that is repeatable.

Don't see a M556FA in the current catalog. They show a MB556K and MB556AR. Both seem a little pricey to me.

That's because SureFire keeps changing the dang part numbers on me. The part numbers you list are for the Muzzle Break adaptors. The K is the short one and the AR is the longer one that slips over the bbl. The AR is a little more effective. Not sure what you think is pricey. They seemed pretty much inline with other similar brakes. There is a lot of machining that goes into these muzzle breaks. In part because they need to be very dimensionally tight to mount the suppressor so that is repeatable.

I have to correct my previous post. It was the MB556R (no A in there) that I read about (in Surefire's own magazine). I previously said it was the K model.

I reread the ad copy today in the supermarket. No claims to being less loud or better flash supression. Just less side blast.

• 1 month later...

It is a very effective brake for it's size, but it is no Rolling Thunder! In .308 it is as effective as the SureFire suppressor, which is saying a lot! in .223 it is almost the equall of the Miculeck brake which is darn good, but like I stated... not a Rolling Thunder form Triangle, BUT in conjunction wiht a Suppressor, it is hard to beat! I run a .308 can on a 16" DPMS .308 rifle, but it works just fine on a Saber Defense 18" .223, I have the .308 and .223 adapter/brake for both rifles and just use a .308 rated can for both. For a does all/ be all mount/brake it can't be beat! KURTM

What everyone seems to be saying is that the JP Tank brake is still #1 for absolute recoil reduction.

While the Surefire would seem to be pretty good if it works as well as the Miculek, it also costs a lot more than the Miculek.

And, its only apparent advantage over the Miculek brake is that you can put a certain type of silencer over it.

Is the surefire allowed in Tactical, or is it too long to be tactical approved?

What everyone seems to be saying is that the JP Tank brake is still #1 for absolute recoil reduction.

While the Surefire would seem to be pretty good if it works as well as the Miculek, it also costs a lot more than the Miculek.

And, its only apparent advantage over the Miculek brake is that you can put a certain type of silencer over it.

Is the surefire allowed in Tactical, or is it too long to be tactical approved?

I put a few hundred rounds through my rifle with the Surefire. It's works very well, but no better than a Bennie Cooley comp or my F2 comp (Flatland Forge).

eeb6607d.jpg

e66298f3.jpg