Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions re: Super Black Eagle II

I am now shooting my second 24" SBE. Being a duck/goose hunter my SBE's see a great deal of adverse weather and abuse. I can't say enough good things about it. I shoot 3 1/2" shells almost exclusively and have had reliability issues with 2 3/4" and occasinally 3" shells. Function with the 3 1/2" is 100%. Several of my duck hunting friends have had the same issues with their SBE's. The breakin used to call for a minimum of 2 boxes of 3 1/2" shells before attemptimg shooting the shorter shells.

I have been told that the reliability issues revolve around the long spring in the stock. It seems crud/rust impairs the ability of the gun to cycle the shorter shells after some use. Stainless springs are available and I am hearing reports of improved reliability. The reality is that I am asking a for an autoloader to cycle shells that vary as much as 3/4" in length in less than desirable conditions. If your use is competition only YMMV.

24" barrels are available for the SBE II. You two may be right about the cost and cycle times, but the SBE II is a more versatile shotgun than the M2, in my opinion.

Frank

My M2 came with a 24" tube, and it can be had with a 21" as well. I don't own an SBE in any form, but I only use mine for gaming, and I don't shoot anything but 2-3/4" Target Loads.

5Shot

I am now shooting my second 24" SBE. Being a duck/goose hunter my SBE's see a great deal of adverse weather and abuse. I can't say enough good things about it. I shoot 3 1/2" shells almost exclusively and have had reliability issues with 2 3/4" and occasinally 3" shells. Function with the 3 1/2" is 100%. Several of my duck hunting friends have had the same issues with their SBE's. The breakin used to call for a minimum of 2 boxes of 3 1/2" shells before attemptimg shooting the shorter shells.

I have been told that the reliability issues revolve around the long spring in the stock. It seems crud/rust impairs the ability of the gun to cycle the shorter shells after some use. Stainless springs are available and I am hearing reports of improved reliability. The reality is that I am asking a for an autoloader to cycle shells that vary as much as 3/4" in length in less than desirable conditions. If your use is competition only YMMV.

Slowhand,

Do you have a SBE? Or a SBE II? I just got my SBE II in March, and I've shot a few rounds of trap with 2 3/4" with no problems at all. One of my friends also owns a SBE II, and he did tell me he had problems only once when he went goose or duck hunting. He switched ammo and hasn't told me of any problems after that. I'll have to track down what type of ammo he had problems with.

Frank

24" barrels are available for the SBE II. You two may be right about the cost and cycle times, but the SBE II is a more versatile shotgun than the M2, in my opinion.

Frank

My M2 came with a 24" tube, and it can be had with a 21" as well. I don't own an SBE in any form, but I only use mine for gaming, and I don't shoot anything but 2-3/4" Target Loads.

5Shot

5shot,

You're all set then :)

Frank

Mea Culpa.

Both of mine are SBE, not SBE II.

I tried shooting an SBE II and could not get used to the new elevated rib. Now that I think about it, I was shooting 2 3/4 light field loads and had zero issues with cycling.

I apologize for any confusion I may have created.

and you would tell her you brought it home why????

The problem is that my 7 year old daughter can always tell the difference between them and asks me why I got another one! Of course, getting the gun isn't so bad....it's all of the NORDIC Accessories that are killing me :goof: !

Luckily, my little side business is keeping my Toy Fund rather full, so it isn't quote as problematic.

5Shot

• 6 years later...

I use the SBE II for 3-gun and it's my duck/goose killing gun. I don't know anyone that can shoot it faster than it will cycle, so that's not a problem. Mine came with a stainless steel recoil spring and rod. I've shot thousands of rounds out of it ranging from 3.5" BBB shot to very lite 7/8oz loads and I've never had a problem. One very big advantage of the SBE II is the loading port is bigger to accommodate the 3.5" shells. The only thing I wished I had was a shorter barrel for 3-gun, but I'm sure I'll order one soon.

I've been shooting a SBEII in 3 gun for the last two years. It was my bird gun and starting 3gun I just couldn't afford another expensive gun so I shoot it. It ate everything I fed it the first year then started jamming occasionally when going from slugs or heavy shot to light loads. I've cleaned it thoroughly but it still jams once in awhile. I tried a reduced recoil spring and that didn't help so I went to a plus power spring and that has helped but I can't shoot the real light stuff in it. It ran last weekend in a match where I went thru 75 rounds of rem 7.5 1 1/8 shot 3 dram with one jam. I've ordered some rem nitro 1300 fps and hope to give them a try this weekend in a match.

One problem, as someone else said , is lube and dirt tend to build up in the recoil spring tube slowing down the cycle. Keeping that clean is important. Getting the nut loose on the tube is a sob though.

I've thought about trading for a m 2 but I like my sbe and the camo has been worn enough that I couldn't get enough out of it to make it worth it. Shoot it and have fun.

Mike I used my SBE at the recent 4islands match in June and have never had any issues with my loads, I do prefer to shoot 32gram, but I prefer to shoot that in my Novas, and M1 or 2's. Darby shot the same gun in august at the AR15 pro am without issues as well, there is no GOOD reason to not go with a SBE over another Benelli.

I have a SBE2 with a Noveske XRail mag and Briley upgrades along with a C-Rums welded lifter - runs well. Planning on sending it out to Triangle to get the loading port and bolt worked on. I did pick up a Wolff reduced power spring to see if it can run any shells less than 1 1/8 which I will report my findings. Benelli tech support advises against it as they do get their stuff back with them and they swap it out to put the stock recoil spring. Thinking of picking up another SBE2...great all around shotgun I found...

Personally I'd rather have an SBE than a Super Vinci or a Versa Max, and yes they do have enormous loading ports,and work very well with "full race pkg" :yawn:

Yes the stroke on the bolt is longer, but I really doubt anyone is going to be "waiting" for it to cycle before they can pull the trigger again :surprise: Everything that can be done to the M series can be done to the SBE's

Trapr