Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iraqi Marksmanship Training

SinistralRifleman

Guest 38superman

I'm glad this guy's not an RO scoring my IPSC targets.

It would be "alpha charlie", "charlie delta", "delta mike" "you suck".

"Go stand over there with the rest of this sucky squad while I reset the targets you couldn't hit".

I'm glad this guy's not an RO scoring my IPSC targets.

It would be "alpha charlie", "charlie delta", "delta mike" "you suck".

"Go stand over there with the rest of this sucky squad while I reset the targets you couldn't hit".

I love what 38superman said .................. :lol:

Knock Knock ............... who's there ?

YOU SUCK!

Now go sit down over there ............. with all those OTHER people who SUCK. Hey people who suck .... raise your hand! :)

Yeah ..... you know you suck dont you ?

You're the Sultans of SUCK! :goof:

(BTW .... I just woudnt be able to do that without busting out laughing ! )

On one hand I can see some of the humor here, but it gets overwhelmed by the shameful lack of professionalism by someone who should know better. I have the greatest admiration for our soldiers but I find myself having a very hard time reconciling the behavior in the video.....

I don't know, I have had to train asshats for days and weeks on end. I can completely understand where this guy is coming from, add to that the fact that they truly don't understand english and where is the harm? Hopefully the training is a little more constructive than the critique.......

Dv8, he ain't lyin'. They make eastern europeans smell positively like fresh spring flowers. There is a real different take on hygiene and aromas outside of the western world...

Edit: spelling, yeah I know, I suck and will go stand over there with the others that can't spell.....

Edited by HSMITH

Probably should have added that I can completely understand the feeling of training incompetence and doing the work I do I know the necessity of humor amongst comrades...just too bad that someone decided to exhibit it.

Beats him flipping out and getting all the re-quals upset and scared(er) and he deals with it some how and his energy will transfer to his students. So he is a patient man as far as I am concerned (just not the nicest one).

Phil

While is may be humorous, it is insensitive.

Killing them with kindness normally gets better results I have found.

I have not dealt with middle easterners, but I have spent some time in Africa. It just take a TON of patience.

If I were to guess, maybe that is how most trainees, regardless of national origin, are addressed by instructors in the military?? For example, aren't drill sargents notorious for insulting their troops during basic training only to later build them back up ?

+1 TL,

I am not one to shy away from hard training and honest observation.

On the other hand it doesn't take much backbone to make fun of someone who doesn't even understand it.

To me it doesn't seem like this young man has much concern for actually training anybody as much as a concern to just get it over with. That in a nutshell is the lack of professionalism.

Edited by smokshwn

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that if these guys can't shoot, train them.

Work the problem.

What is there to be gained by insulting them?

T

Exactly!!!

+1 TL,

I am not one to shy away from hard training and honest observation.

On the other hand it doesn't take much backbone to make fun of someone who doesn't even understand it.

To me it doesn't seem like this young man has much concern for actually training anybody as much as a concern to just get it over with. That in a nutshell is the lack of professionalism.

+1

Thats what I thought the ENTIRE TIME I was in Army Basic Training. Making me feel worse than a wet sack of dog-doo is not what I signed up for .......... but they really do have a plan with all that insulting they dish out. It's not entirely because they are jerks.

We only get to see 6 minutes in the entire training process with these soldiers, so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge. And if you scan ahead to the 4:00 minute mark, you will see this Sergent give some REAL marksmanship information to an Iraqi trainee ..... albeit with a dash of sarcasm thrown in.

Thats what I thought the ENTIRE TIME I was in Army Basic Training. Making me feel worse than a wet sack of dog-doo is not what I signed up for .......... but they really do have a plan with all that insulting they dish out. It's not entirely because they are jerks.

We only get to see 6 minutes in the entire training process with these soldiers, so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge. And if you scan ahead to the 4:00 minute mark, you will see this Sergent give some REAL marksmanship information to an Iraqi trainee ..... albeit with a dash of sarcasm thrown in.

Amen. When I was in Basic I can remember being told alot worse than u suck. :unsure:

Angel

Amen. When I was in Basic I can remember being told alot worse than u suck. :unsure:

Angel

You guys make a good point.

I went through boot camp at Parris Island during the VietNam war.

I understand the harassment of recruits and the reasons behind it.

The constant hazing is meant to break down recruits mentally.

It is meant instill the idea that the only way to survive is to do exactly what you are told.

In short it is meant to build discipline.

However, in watching this I did not get the sense that this was meant to do anything constructive, merely to demean the trainees.

Hard to say, but I will not second guess the Sgt. who is there on the ground.

The bottom line for me is: At the end of the day could these guys hit the target or not?

I hope so.

At some point I'd like to see our guys come home.

T

Edited by tlshores

While on the surface this video was amazingly humorous, the underlying story is sad. Having been in the sandbox and assigned training duty years ago, I can definitely empathize. Trying to train the natives that whipping people and stoning children hanging on the fence is NOT the correct method for earning respect was an absolutely futile exercise. They never quite adjusted to Western methods and teachings. The culture gap was just too damn big. They simply were not raised in a culture that promoted any type of efficiency, but rather instant violent resolution to any problems. Just my personal observations FWIW.