Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why shouldn't I get a CED 7000?

taxlawmax

Ok, I'm new to timers, so maybe I'm missing something. Unless you're just used to a different timer, why wouldn't you go with the CED 7000?

From what I understand:

1. It's tiny & light.

2. It has all the "par" features you need to do dry fire drills.

3. The readout seems like it's a decent size.

4. It's relatively inexpensive.

5. Rechargeable battery seems good enough for matches.

6. Adjustable volume on the beeper means you can use it at home.

7. Plenty of accessories, ways to wear it, etc. just in case you want to pretend it's an iPod.

What else do I need? Why would I buy a different timer?

Edited by taxlawmax

Hehe... I know I sound like a sales rep or something, but to me, it really seems that if you don't have a tie to another brand or type of timer, the 7000 has distinct advantages. The only problem is that I know so little about timers that I might be totally off. So, seriously, please inform me if I am!!

I'm in the same boat your in. I've been looking at timers as well. I like the 7000 and was not sure why I had never seen one on the range. As long as the timer is loud enough to hear and the battery lasts a while, I will probably buy it.

The only flaw that I have found with mine is that I could not get it to work with my Airsoft, even with the sensitivity turned all the way up. Honestly, about the only timer that I know of that works with Airsoft is the CED 8000 but some have had sucess with their 7000's, just not mine. Otherwise they have all of the features that the popular timers have and then a few more thrown in. I have 4 timers and the 7,000 is clearly my favorite.

I'm in the same boat your in. I've been looking at timers as well. I like the 7000 and was not sure why I had never seen one on the range. As long as the timer is loud enough to hear and the battery lasts a while, I will probably buy it.

Used it Monday night for a couple of hours, and ran about 30 shooters ....... on a HALF CHARGE! The battery really lasts and lasts.

Love my 7000!

Hehe... I know I sound like a sales rep or something, but to me, it really seems that if you don't have a tie to another brand or type of timer, the 7000 has distinct advantages. The only problem is that I know so little about timers that I might be totally off. So, seriously, please inform me if I am!!

Just buy it. It's as good or better than anything else out there. IMO it's better. I've never seen a problem with them on the range and many swear by the length of time the battery holds a charge. I just got one and have only dry fired with it so far, but it will be my primary timer. My other timer is a CED6000 which his very nice but not made anymore.

If you want a drawback...it doesn't come with a case, but that is easily solved. Just buy one and move on to the next challenge, what color?

I am also very happry with my CED 7000. I have not really noticed any negatives with mine. I did have the display go bad but CED was quick to take care of it. They even sent me one of their new Tactical models instead of the regular model I had. I highly recomend this timer.

I am also very happry with my CED 7000. I have not really noticed any negatives with mine. I did have the display go bad but CED was quick to take care of it. They even sent me one of their new Tactical models instead of the regular model I had. I highly recomend this timer.

What's the deal with the tactical model, how is it different?

The only diffrence is that the Tactcial has black buttons instead of the chrome colored buttons. According to CED they did this at the request of Law enforcement agencies which did not like the chrome buttons. Other than that the two are the same.

Yeah, I don't buy their explanation at all. Do SWAT teams carry shot timers with them on entries?

C'mon... shouldn't we all know by know that "tactical" can only mean one of three things?

1. Someone glued a rail on there.

2. It's black.

2. If it already was black, it's more black.

Of course, I bought the tactical model. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't buy their explanation at all. Do SWAT teams carry shot timers with them on entries?

C'mon... shouldn't we all know by know that "tactical" can only mean one of three things?

1. Someone glued a rail on there.

2. It's black.

2. If it already was black, it's more black.

Of course, I bought the tactical model. :rolleyes:

LOL...yeah, if that isn't the truth! That's why when I bought my new mountain bike I figured I'd get one that was closest to tactical. I went with a Specialized Epic Expert in "black chrome"....those evil cactus plants will never see me coming!

If it won't pick up an Airsoft, will it pick up a hammer fall for dry firing practice? I'm just getting into USPSA shooting (production division) and I've already noticed that my first shot from holster seems pitifully slow compared others. My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking of ordering myself either a chrono or a timer. So far the timer is winning.

If it won't pick up an Airsoft, will it pick up a hammer fall for dry firing practice? I'm just getting into USPSA shooting (production division) and I've already noticed that my first shot from holster seems pitifully slow compared others. My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking of ordering myself either a chrono or a timer. So far the timer is winning.

It will pick up both, but only from a veeeery close range. I used one of the lanyards to dangle my timer from the ceiling, right where the gun ends up. If I draw to within a foot of the timer it will usually pick up airsoft or dryfire.

As for draw speed, the big places that folks lose time are getting the hand to the gun, and getting the gun to the mount. Don't rush your grip, and don't break the shot early, wait for a good sight picture. In fact, the timer can be detrimental to this practice, because it can make you try to force the wrong things, only faster. I put the timer up for a few months and just worked on performing clean draws with a good grip. When I turned the timer back on, my draw was down about .3 consistently (1.3 to 1.0 at 15yards) and I also found that I could "force" a draw down into the .75 range, whereas previously I could only manage high .8s.

I contend that a timer is a great tool to check progress, but not so great for making progress. I mostly use mine to compare the difference between two methods, to prove which one is superior. Of course, others have great success using the beep, like Steve Anderson, so YMMV.

H.

The only negative I could see was it appears $15 more has to be spent just to clip it to your belt. I guess I'm used to timers with belt clips. Having to charge it instead of just carrying some extra batteries sort of worries me, but it appears the thing holds a charge long enough to give me plenty of time to remember.

I'd definitely get a 7000 if I wasn't already really happy with my 8000 and it's giant display and simple operation.