Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I believe these numbers cover June 6 through August 25 for the Normandy Invasion. From Wikipedia:

United States: 29,000 dead, 106,000 wounded and missing;

United Kingdom: 11,000 dead, 54,000 wounded and missing;

Canada: 5,000 dead; 13,000 wounded and missing;

France: 12,200 civilian dead and missing

Edited to note I should learn to read the question. :blush:

Edited by AikiDale

Do you happen to have the stats on the number of women who gave their lives in the D-Day Invasion?

Woman weren't allowed that honor, but you can bet your a$$ there would have been some there had they been allowed too.

JT

Do you happen to have the stats on the number of women who gave their lives in the D-Day Invasion?

There are 4 women buried in the cemetary at St. Laurent, over looking Omaha Beach. I saw one of them when I was there a couple weeks ago and she had died in 1945. I am not sure about the others.

Thanks for this thread Julien. I am going to take my father in law out for dinner tonight to commemorate this day. He is a WWII vet and though he wasn't part of the D-Day invasion he had friends who were. One is still around. I'll be foisting a beer in their honor for certain.

-ld

Thanks Julien for reminding everyone that today was the 63rd anniversary of Operation Overlord, also known as "D-Day", the Normandy campaign. With many making the ultimate sacrifice, our soldiers paid a terrible price to win freedom for all.

I found a very interesting read at:

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/reference/normandy/Nor-MOH.htm It lists the Army's official biographies of D-Day Medal Of Honor recipients. 9 of the 12 were awarded posthumously.

"Involved in the initial assault: 185,000 troops, 18,000 paratroopers, 13,175 aircraft, 4,066 landing ships, 745 large ships, 20,000 vehicles, 347 minesweepers.

Gold, Sword and Juno beaches hit by the British were guarded by Russians in German uniform who broke and ran making it realtively easy for the British to get off the beaches.

The Americans landing at Utah and Omaha faced a dug in division on practice manuevers and were nearly pushed back into the sea.

The USS Nevada was present and had also been at Pearl Harbor. HMS Warspite was the only ship at Jutland in 1916 and at the D-Day assault"

-Take from World War II 4,139 strange and fascinating facts by Don McCOmbs and fred L Worth page 136.

Edited by RoyceLowellPatton

Unsung heroes of D-Day are too numerous to mention; One that springs to mind is Bill Millin.

Millin was a private in Lord Lovat’s Scottish lst Commando Brigade on D-Day, June 6, 1944. As they approached Sword Beach Lovat ordered Millin to play the pipes – against the wishes of senior officers. A photograph of him playing his bagpipes as German shells exploded around him was printed in newspapers around the world. Marching along the beach during the German attack, Millin played Highland Laddie, Blue Bonnets Over the Border and The Road to the Isles. The lst Brigades’ mission on D-Day was to relieve Maj. John Howard and the British commando’s glider brigade at Pegasus Bridge. As Lovat’s men neared the bridge, Howard’s brigade, out of ammunition, could hear Millin’s pipes, assuring them relief was on the way.

He is shown in the foreground in this picture from D-Day, he carried his bagpipes and his only weapon was a knife.

0104pipb.jpg

He later recreated his role in the 1962 movie 'The Longest Day'