Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The $300 Aluminum Tube in the Tire

ChrisStock

Why was I late coming back from lunch? Honestly, I got a flat tire. Why in the &^$ck does my Mazda 3 have V rated tires on it? I don't plan on doing 150MPH + in it ever. To match the three remaining tires, $250 did the trick. Ouch. That is a lot of new brass that won't be visiting my reloading bench. :angry:

DSCF0050.JPG

My wife bought as Nissan Murano (which is a very nice car) but comes with these HUGE wheels and tires that loook like they belong on a school bus.

I found out that size tire is made by EXACTLY ONE manufacturer.....

Don't even want to think about what those suckers are going to cost.

I'm just waiting for this same thing to happen to me. Bought my wife a Mini Cooper S and it came with run-flat performance tires that go for over $200+ a piece as well. Don't know if I can bring myself to spend $800-$1000 on 4 tires when it needs them of it she'll get the non-run-flats along with a can of fix-a-flat since there's no where for a spare...... :ph34r:

I'm just waiting for this same thing to happen to me. Bought my wife a Mini Cooper S and it came with run-flat performance tires that go for over $200+ a piece as well. Don't know if I can bring myself to spend $800-$1000 on 4 tires when it needs them of it she'll get the non-run-flats along with a can of fix-a-flat since there's no where for a spare...... :ph34r:

When you go back to regular tires, you will notice the following: better ride, better handling, quieter cabin. Run flats suck, get AAA.

I have the same problem with my Hyundai Sonta (2 of them) - they come with very high rated tires. I haven't figured out why they do this on cheap cars - usually it's a matter of finding cheap stuff on the expensive vehicles. I can only assume the tire manufacturers are giving the car companies good deals on the V's so that buyers will get in the habit of replacing with the same grade.

I am hoping to wear my tires out in left/right pairs so I can go to a grade more appropriate for my rather boring driving style.

Don't forget tire disposal fees and shop supplies that you pay extra for as well.

Nah, stick them behind pepper poppers.

Well... that's not a problem that having harder tires would fix... that's a pretty massive object :D Sucks... Since I got my new (to me) WRX, I've have two flats, from simple nail punctures. The V rated tires are like debris magnets...

After going through some craziness with my wife (two destroyed tires in two days), I've decided that buying the road hazard warranty is worth it (at least, from Discount Tire - don't know if any other company's compares or not). Cheap insurance for having to replace a tire - and they replace it for the cost of the warranty on the new tire... ;)

a couple hints, buy a cigerette lighter powered air compressor and a tire plug kit. and learn to use it. It is generally eisier to plug a tire on the car than change it. I coulda fixed the pictured tire for 50 cents. Tire shops like to tell people plugs dont work on belted tires, Bull they just wanna sell tires. next hint if you do have to buy one, take the wheel off drop wheel off at shop that way you can get whatever tire you want. and not get gouged by the "Oh that car needs 150mph rated tires. more ripoff BS.

I believe there's only one or two states that require by law that you have to replace your tires with equal ratings or better. Shops that say they have to do it is full of it. There's no point in putting Z rated tires for cars that are electronically limited to 130 mph especially if you never go past 80.

Tires can be patched. Any good tire place will pull the tire off and patch it from the inside.

If you complain about replacing tires, don't buy Scooby's (Subaru). Since Scooby runs a full time AWD, all 4 tires must be within 1/4" circumference with each other or you risk destroying the differentials.

The lease on my Accord expired in October and all four tires weren't good enough to pass the turn in inspection. Like you guys they were V rated tires. I bought 4 BF Goodrich V rated tires from COSTCO and with tax, tire disposal fee and installation it came out to $455.36 for all four. Everyone else wanted close to $700. It pays to shop around.

Edited by rubberneck

I believe there's only one or two states that require by law that you have to replace your tires with equal ratings or better. Shops that say they have to do it is full of it. There's no point in putting Z rated tires for cars that are electronically limited to 130 mph especially if you never go past 80.

Tires can be patched. Any good tire place will pull the tire off and patch it from the inside.

If you complain about replacing tires, don't buy Scooby's (Subaru). Since Scooby runs a full time AWD, all 4 tires must be within 1/4" circumference with each other or you risk destroying the differentials.

I have a 2004 WRX. Bought a second set of stock wheels and fitted them with Kumho z rated summer only unidirectional tires. I auto-crossed the car for a year, discovered IDPA and USPSA and sold the wheels and Bridgestones that came on the car.

You know when they say summer only, they mean it. Lucky there was only one snow of any measure last year, but the AWD is the only thing that got me to work and back. But the tires were great both wet and dry. Then I got a nail in the sidewall, so off to NTB for 4 new ones, normal all weather type tires. $ 477 out the door.

But I love my WRX, plus it will get 29 mpg on the interstate running 70-75 mph.

Bruce

I would like to add a couple of responses to everyone's tire concerns.

A) Yes the tire and car manufactures work together to fit the car with a tire that's compatible and on occasion proprietary.

B) Speed rated (H and above) tires are not installed so that you can drive at 130mph plus.

Speed rated tires for the most part have an additional belt to help keep them from distorting. Speed rated tires handle and brake better therefore providing additional safety for your vehicle. Speed rated tires do not ride rougher nor do they puncture easier. Ride quality may be affected by the aspect ratio (ie: lack of sidewall flex). Tire footprint has lot to do with how often these larger tires pick up nails, etc.

C)Patching a tire is the only permanent repair. Plugs will work loose eventually.

D)If your vehicle came equipped with runflat tires, there are more than just a few reasons to stay with runflats.

Just a few notes from someone who sees this stuff every day.

I'd be willing to bet a Speed rated tire is the same as a non speedrated tire with a different stamp on it and a higher pricetag,,,, Permenant repair on an item that will wear out ? I have plugged alot of tires never seen one work loose before the tire wore out.

This should make everyone feel a little better.....15k out of a set of the rears!!!!

Front: 245/40ZR18 RunFlat

Serv. Desc: (88Y)

Load Rating: LL

UTQG: 220 AA A Price: $394.00 (each)

Estimated Availability: In Stock Front:

Rear: 285/35ZR19 RunFlat

Serv. Desc: (90Y)

UTQG: 220 AA A Price: $475.00 (each)

Estimated Availability: In Stock

The lease on my Accord expired in October and all four tires weren't good enough to pass the turn in inspection. Like you guys they were V rated tires. I bought 4 BF Goodrich V rated tires from COSTCO and with tax, tire disposal fee and installation it came out to $455.36 for all four. Everyone else wanted close to $700. It pays to shop around.

I did in fact look at Costco, but they didn't have them in stock. In fact , they don't keep ANY tires in stock...they have to be ordered. 3 days of skipping work wouldn't be bad, mind you, but the range is 15 miles away!! :P

a couple hints, buy a cigerette lighter powered air compressor and a tire plug kit. and learn to use it. It is generally eisier to plug a tire on the car than change it. I coulda fixed the pictured tire for 50 cents. Tire shops like to tell people plugs dont work on belted tires, Bull they just wanna sell tires. next hint if you do have to buy one, take the wheel off drop wheel off at shop that way you can get whatever tire you want. and not get gouged by the "Oh that car needs 150mph rated tires. more ripoff BS.

I didn't post a pic of the other 6 inches of the aluminum tube...it bulged out of the sidewall. A complete writeoff. Mazda, who actually had the lowest price on the tire and in stock, wouldn't issue a road hazard warranty. I asked :angry: This is the GT model, but in hindsight, I wish I had just bought 4 new tires of a lower speed rating...it would've only cost a c-note more to have a full set. Oh well...something to deal with when the next one gets eaten.

This should make everyone feel a little better.....15k out of a set of the rears!!!!

Exactly what I was talking about. Lose the runflats and you will enjoy your Vette more. I know I do.

Exactly what I was talking about. Lose the runflats and you will enjoy your Vette more. I know I do.

But being WITHOUT a spare sitting on side of the road WAITING for someone to come TOW my car DOES NOT APPEAL to ME :( ......Like my dad tells me...."If you cant afford the tires son DONT buy the CAR" :D

I guess over the last 3 I have ACCEPTED the fact of the expense of replacing tires, just part of it!!

I have plugged alot of tires never seen one work loose before the tire wore out.

me too. a plug kit costs about $6 at walmart. it's very easy to do yourself.

a good place to visit if you need to replace expensive tires is tirerack.com. you'll often find (much) cheaper alternatives in the size you need. OEM tires for my car are >$300 each. kumhos at tirerack were just over $100 each. yeah, i had to pay for shipping, but i still saved close to $800, and there's nothing wrong with kumhos...they're good tires.

I have the same problem with my Hyundai Sonta (2 of them) - they come with very high rated tires. I haven't figured out why they do this on cheap cars - usually it's a matter of finding cheap stuff on the expensive vehicles. I can only assume the tire manufacturers are giving the car companies good deals on the V's so that buyers will get in the habit of replacing with the same grade.

In Hyundai's case, maybe they figured out that I occasionally get the keys away from Carol. The 2006s are fairly quick, and handle pretty well for what they are....

I have plugged alot of tires never seen one work loose before the tire wore out.

me too. a plug kit costs about $6 at walmart. it's very easy to do yourself.

a good place to visit if you need to replace expensive tires is tirerack.com. you'll often find (much) cheaper alternatives in the size you need. OEM tires for my car are >$300 each. kumhos at tirerack were just over $100 each. yeah, i had to pay for shipping, but i still saved close to $800, and there's nothing wrong with kumhos...they're good tires.

Damn Russ, I didn't know those fancy expensive tires would even fit on a KIA.

:lol::lol::lol:

Bruce

Same here. Between our farm driveway and the gravel roads, our vehicles tend to have a lot of flat tires. I have been able to "permanently" fix most of those flats with plugs.