Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Exploding Chair

JThompson

Well, I'm sure you guys have heard this one before, but here goes... I'm rolling around on the chair by my desk and BOOM! I'd been working on some paper work and was really into it. I knew, on some level, what it was, but that didn't stop me from jumping up smacking my knees on the desk. I thought the damn reloading station, behind me, was going up. :) I then decided it was time to police up the area and cleaned the whole room. I looked the floor over really well and thought it was okay for the vacuum....? Nope. Bang! @^@$(The bag starts smoking and I'm scrambling to get it out of there before the whole damn vacuum goes up. I snatch the bag out stirring up a cloud of crap, at which point I sneeze and an involuntary jerk.... more crap flying onto me and the floor. I run up the stairs to pitch it into the yard. By this time the girlfriend is pissed the dog is under the bed and I'm a bit frazzled. It's IPSC practice night tonight and I'm thinking I shouldn't be anywhere around anything that goes bang. LOL Maybe I'll go have a beer instead. :)

I dumped a bunch of primers off the bench some time ago and "thought" I had them all up. Guess not.

Hope you had a good snicker at my expense.

Jim

Edited by JThompson

Being more than a bit AC and OC, I just gotta find every primer I've ever dropped. I think that I've actually found them all, but only going through my reloading area with a upright vac with a beater brush would tell me for sure... :D

By this time the girlfriend is pissed the dog is under the bed and I'm a bit frazzled.

"Boom" is a rather subjective measurement of sound relative to local norms and traditions. My dog thinks a primer crushed under a chair wheel, is a "pfft" (somewhere between rice crispies and a genteel elderly fart). My wife doesn't go anywhere near the ammo factory with a vacuum and doesn't raise an eye-brow, unless I shoot a .308 from inside the basement without first calling "fire-in-the-hole!" But, I do get a bit frazzled if I miss with the .308.

Ahhh, the quiet life in the country!

I had a live primer get 'beater-brushed' one day and it kinda went "FOOMP!!" and the bag on the vac swelled up accordingly--I thought it was going to burst... but it didn't. Sure was a bit of surprise, though... inasmuch as the live primer was a looooong way away from the reloading area. Hmm... they have little feet and travel, I guess. Spooky. ;)

You had me at..."Exploding Chair". :):):)

Ah, could it be you have one too? :)

:lol: I have the same kind of chair, same kind of reloading room with a desk in it, and the same kind of girlfriend ........ she doesn't clean my house like she should either. :o:ph34r:;)

Hello brother sphincter clutcher! :wacko:

Enjoy the RUSH while you can, after a while the whole house (pets included) are immune. I certainly would not want to train another group, I have this one right where I want them.

If that keep me from banging my knee and cajoling the dog out from under the bed, I'm all for a speedy assimilation.

:ph34r:

Being more than a bit AC and OC, I just gotta find every primer I've ever dropped. I think that I've actually found them all, but only going through my reloading area with a upright vac with a beater brush would tell me for sure... :D

I'm going to be more careful for sure. ;)

You had me at..."Exploding Chair". :):):)

:D:D The Serpentine Manuver :D:D

Well at least his girlfriend can read :D

She writes too. :wub:

By this time the girlfriend is pissed the dog is under the bed and I'm a bit frazzled.

"Boom" is a rather subjective measurement of sound relative to local norms and traditions. My dog thinks a primer crushed under a chair wheel, is a "pfft" (somewhere between rice crispies and a genteel elderly fart). My wife doesn't go anywhere near the ammo factory with a vacuum and doesn't raise an eye-brow, unless I shoot a .308 from inside the basement without first calling "fire-in-the-hole!" But, I do get a bit frazzled if I miss with the .308.

Ahhh, the quiet life in the country!

What can I say to a man that eloquent? Now I can’t get the memory of old “gramps” leaning to the side, and letting one go, out of my head. That’s a visual I could have done without :P

I had a live primer get 'beater-brushed' one day and it kinda went "FOOMP!!" and the bag on the vac swelled up accordingly--I thought it was going to burst... but it didn't. Sure was a bit of surprise, though... inasmuch as the live primer was a looooong way away from the reloading area. Hmm... they have little feet and travel, I guess. Spooky. ;)

I think it’s the same phenomena as the missing sock…  Only the sock doesn’t blow up and is never heard from again…. would that it were so with primers. B)

Thanks for the laugh. I can only say that I haven't had it happen to me... yet! :D

You're welcome and it will. :)

Before I vacuum now I routine whip out the Streamlight and double-check all known primer habitats on the floor of the apartment, and have occasionally found a live one, thus saving my vacuum (and my nerves) from another 'explosion' of the totally unexpected kind. :ph34r:

+1 kevin

Sometimes being OCD is a good thing...especially since primers are more rare than unicorns right now ;)

Before I vacuum now I routine whip out the Streamlight and double-check all known primer habitats on the floor of the apartment, and have occasionally found a live one, thus saving my vacuum (and my nerves) from another 'explosion' of the totally unexpected kind. :ph34r:

A wise precaution. If you run into any of my socks, send them back. :wacko:

I sometimes have trouble keeping track of my OWN socks... and other stuff. But I'll let you know. :D

I just stick with the plain white ones, so they are all the same. That way if I loose a one I don't have an odd sock/duster. :)

Good One :lol:

dj

Glad you got a laugh. :blink:

My loading room is in the basement and has a concrete floor. I keep a shop vac there and routinely vacuum the floor with it. There always seems to be spent primers, spilled powder and an occasional live primer, along with dust, small pebbles, dirt, tumbling media and sometimes even cobwebs. I'm not sure after reading this thread that I will ever use the vacuum again for fear of a major exposion. :lol:

Jim

Actually two snickers from me... reading this thread yesterday, then again this evening :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing... I'm waiting for my first AWOL primer. I actually counted the live ones going in the pickup tube today.

Why is girlfriend pissed? If she had been cleaning that room properly it never would have happened.

** Starting the serpentine manuver now ***

D@#n, have you got a brass pair :lol: Hopefully the Mrs. doesn't see this or she'll think I've fallen in with hooligans. Again. :P

My loading room is in the basement and has a concrete floor. I keep a shop vac there and routinely vacuum the floor with it. There always seems to be spent primers, spilled powder and an occasional live primer, along with dust, small pebbles, dirt, tumbling media and sometimes even cobwebs. I'm not sure after reading this thread that I will ever use the vacuum again for fear of a major exposion. :lol:

I think it less likely you will get one to go off. I was using an upright that has a beater bar in the front. It's still something to keep an eye on. Hopefully, you haven't sucked up that much powder to worry about it going if a primer got to it. I would empty it on a regular basis esp if you have had some spills you cleaned up with it. Mostly though, it's just a little unsettling to have one go off.

Best

Jim

Actually two snickers from me... reading this thread yesterday, then again this evening :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing... I'm waiting for my first AWOL primer. I actually counted the live ones going in the pickup tube today.

Why is girlfriend pissed? If she had been cleaning that room properly it never would have happened.

** Starting the serpentine manuver now ***

D@#n, have you got a brass pair :lol: Hopefully the Mrs. doesn't see this or she'll think I've fallen in with hooligans. Again. :P

Lauging is good for the soul... it helps not to take ourselves to seriously. ;)

Primers are usually good for keeping you on your toes.

I set off the whole tube in my 1050 once and I'm not sure how.

The ceiling above looked a 1 oz load of #4s got it and I think my ears are still ringing.

I ALWAYS wear glases at the press, especially after that!

Edited by Mick

I think it less likely you will get one to go off. I was using an upright that has a beater bar in the front. It's still something to keep an eye on. Hopefully, you haven't sucked up that much powder to worry about it going if a primer got to it. I would empty it on a regular basis esp if you have had some spills you cleaned up with it. Mostly though, it's just a little unsettling to have one go off.

+1

Without the confined volume of a cartridge case with a seated bullet, the powder will just burn in a smoky mess, but shouldn't create a lot of pressure and flying shrapnel (not unless you've got a whole lot of powder in there). For me, it's more the fresh-underwear-change-now-needed type of shock of hearing the primer let loose.

Primers are usually good for keeping you on your toes.

I set off the whole tube in my 1050 once and I'm not sure how.

The ceiling above looked a 1 oz load of #4s got it and I think my ears are still ringing.

I ALWAYS wear glases at the press, especially after that!

I put mine on the machine, so I have to remove them from it before I can reload. I have a sign I put on my door that says "reloading do not enter without eye protection" and have several pairs hanging on hooks outside my door. ;) I've seen much discussion about safety glasses for reloading, but never seen this addressed before. If you aren't the only one in the household you need to make sure everyone is a where of the rules. I often load with music on and wouldn't hear someone walking in the door, so I could stop. My back also faces the door while reloading, so I wouldn't see them.

+1

Without the confined volume of a cartridge case with a seated bullet, the powder will just burn in a smoky mess, but shouldn't create a lot of pressure and flying shrapnel (not unless you've got a whole lot of powder in there). For me, it's more the fresh-underwear-change-now-needed type of shock of hearing the primer let loose.

Ya, you wouldn't get explosive, but you might melt some shop-vac or at the lease smell some nasty stuff burning. Bestto just empty it on a regular basis and have done with it.

;/)

Edited by JThompson

I keep saying that I need to find time to start reloading but hell with the stories you guys tell I don't know if I can stand the excitement.... :ph34r::D

Between exploding primer tubes and the like my wife might make me set up under a tarp out in the woods instead of at my workbench in the basement that happens to be under our bedroom..... :wacko:

Edited by j2fast