Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac-load Mag Retention Rule

oregonshooter

Actually, Steve, stowing in the waistband of your pants is also acceptable.

I can see some of the ladies shooting with a low-cut shirt being penalized for "gaming" using the "shirt mag stow" method. :)

I'm reading the IDPA rulebook and noticed that a tac-load by the books definition would allow me to drop the mag in the gun to the (aka speed load) and then pick it up and store it while running to the next shooting stage.

Another thing to be cautious of is making sure you gun is fully charged before running to the next postion. You can run and stow magazines as long as the reload was completed (=mag fully seated in the gun) prior to leaving cover.

I don't think you are intending to execute it that way, but it is worth saying just in case.

I can see some of the ladies shooting with a low-cut shirt being penalized for "gaming" using the "shirt mag stow" method. :)

That set up has been used for brass catching on occasion. :o

I guess I've never seen an example of that. It never occurred to me cause my own belt is so tight I can't stick a finger in it. I think it's shrinking. :lol:

[quote I can see some of the ladies shooting with a low-cut shirt being penalized for "gaming" using the "shirt mag stow" method. :)

That borders on a safety violation for distracting the Safety Officer. :o:D

I guess I've never seen an example of that. It never occurred to me cause my own belt is so tight I can't stick a finger in it. I think it's shrinking.

For years I used the front waistband stow for my RWR/tac-loads. From a time-and-motion standpoint it's the most efficient technique. Caveat: it will only work for guys with fairly flat bellies.

I guess I've never seen an example of that. It never occurred to me cause my own belt is so tight I can't stick a finger in it. I think it's shrinking.

For years I used the front waistband stow for my RWR/tac-loads. From a time-and-motion standpoint it's the most efficient technique. Caveat: it will only work for guys with fairly flat bellies.

yup ...you skinny shooters have the advantage on that...my ballast gets in the way for retaining a mag B)

Edited by GmanCdp

Mags fit nicely between my rock hard six pack and belt.

You're leaving the six pack in the freezer too long, its no good if it won't come out of the bottle. A belt of what, rum, whiskey??

Better not let Ron catch you with that stuff on the range.

Are you bringing the AR/Bushnell 1x4 to Moss Branch this Saturday? They're doing 3-gun and its gonna be more fun than six frozen beers and a stowed mag.

As far as the RWR goes I can't put it in my belt either, I'd hate to miss the belt and hit my stomach and crush a 20 dollar Wilson mag so I just use a pocket, its much cheaper that way.

Mike

Rick,

Don't RO's follow the rule book?

Your speedload-then-pick-up-the-mag video appears to show you simulating engagement of a target, and then retrieving the mag. No reload is complete until the partial mag is stowed, so you'd have to pick up the mag off the ground and then stow it before firing a shot. Also, since tac loads are almost never done on the clock anymore, saving time on the tac load doesn't really get you anywhere (except on string two of stage three of the classifier . . .).

If you fired a round, and then picked-up the mag, you'd certainly be looking at a 3-second penalty, and if the SO (Ess Oh) was following the rule book, he'd give you a FTDR.

I intend to pick the mag up before firing another round, just as the tac-load part specs in the rule book.

Unfortunately my club has not got the word on "on the clock" reloads as we seem to have at least one every match.

It seems that because the speed-load (reload from slidelock) states the mag on the ground and the other reloads do not, that some feel allowing a mag to hit the ground will not qualify as a tac-load.

I'll just play the game with RwR and let it be at that, except for the qualifier.

Are they going to remove the timed tac-load from that in the future?

Not a new word it's been in the rule book since 2005 in Appendix 2

NOTE: HQ urges course designers to draft scenario courses that do not require tac-loads or reloads with retention to be performed “on the clock”.

Of course depending on the COF it may be to your advantage to RWR rather than shoot to slidelock.

Fastest reload is a slide-lock or emergency reload. The next fastest is a RWR because in decreases hand movements. You only have to go to your waist once then back to gun. A Tactical reload requires one to go to their belt twice. Slower IN MOST CASES. It is faster IF you have to leave cover and not engage targets (like the scenario in the classifier where you move from the barricade to the barrel and then engage) In this case, you can leave cover quicker because your gun is fully charged and you can stow the magazine while moving.

Garry N

• 2 weeks later...
Joe,

I can see where a tac-load would be an advantage is being able to run to the next shooting position WHILE storing the mag, but how can the RwR be an advantage?

If the movement to the next position is all "threat free", you can do the RWR on the move. That can be quicker than just running to the next position if you know you'll hit slide lock at some point.